Nibbles throughout the day?

draftxhorselover

Hello.. new cruiser (actually did a fair amount back 20 years ago and I know that doesn't count :p)

Booked on Reflections, at will dining chosen and concerned about wanting a nibble or snack BEFORE dinner/after lunch etc. You see.. I'm a diabetic and just like to graze all day. If I wait until ... I could get HANGRY:mad:.. DH wouldn't care for that!

Any suggestions and thoughts greatly appreciated. I plan to buy all kinds of goodies (nuts, cheese) etc. while ashore but just wondered if I didn't have to be quite as prepared.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom

With the exception of maybe 30 minutes and over night, the buffet always has something to nibble on. There is breakfast, then a smaller late risers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and late night pizza. There are several other places and room service where you can grab something light such as cheese or fruit.

I now have a name for what happens to me. I also get HANGRY! Thanks!;)

I see this is your first post, welcome to CC.

As far as your question about eating throughout the day, you've gotten a great answer above.

To add to that, if you see something you like on the buffet (yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese...) you can bring some back to your cabin and keep it in the refrigerator. I also think there is a cheese plate from room service or just about anything you'd like.

In any event, no, you will not become HANGRY!:mad::)

I now have a name for what happens to me. I also get HANGRY! Thanks!;)

I see this is your first post, welcome to CC.

As far as your question about eating throughout the day, you've gotten a great answer above.

To add to that, if you see something you like on the buffet (yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese...) you can bring some back to your cabin and keep it in the refrigerator. I also think there is a cheese plate from room service or just about anything you'd like.

In any event, no, you will not become HANGRY!:mad::)

THANK YOU! It seems the older I get the more unwilling I am to 'wait' for something to tide me over... ANYTHING.. cheese/fruit etc. is much better than the alternative chips but really HANGRY is not a good place to be after a busy day in the sun or city. I get looks from husband and friends sometimes with a statement of "well... it's only a hour or so until we eat dinner... NO that's just the problem.

Edited by draftxhorselover

People will pooh pooh (how could you even think of more food), but we always bring a chex mix / goldfish cracker / pretzel snack mix that has become part of our cruise traditions. There are many recipe variations to suit your tastes. EZ to make, and the zip lock bag takes up very little room in the carry on.

Nice to have in the cabin, even if it's just a nibble or two, as you say, before dinner.

You could also bring granola bars or protein bars.

Great ideas all! I especially like the idea of wandering past the buffet or wherever, picking up a beverage (I have the drink package) picking up a protein (like cheese or cottage cheese) and a piece of fruit and going back to the room to meet the DH and friends. They'll be chilling somewhere since I am the active one in the group. Thanks all!

Edited by draftxhorselover

People will pooh pooh (how could you even think of more food), but we always bring a chex mix / goldfish cracker / pretzel snack mix that has become part of our cruise traditions. There are many recipe variations to suit your tastes. EZ to make, and the zip lock bag takes up very little room in the carry on.

Nice to have in the cabin, even if it's just a nibble or two, as you say, before dinner.

You could also bring granola bars or protein bars.

Don't plan on taking plastic bags of anything off the ship while you are in port in most places, especially fruits. Must be in closed original container otherwise the agriculture protective people can get very upset.

Bugs can get in the strangest things I guess.

For example I took an apple off the ship to have while I was waiting to catch a plane in Puerto Rico. This very nice looking beagle came by, sniffed my bag and the next thing you I was in trouble. They removed the offending apple. Lesson learned.

Edited by NordicPrince
more

We have been on 35+ cruises and occasionally bring bottles of diet ginger ale on board; Celebrity doesn't have this. I never bring food since you can get food 24/7. As others suggested you can bring food from the buffet to your room or call room service. Our daughter-in-law always brings along granola bars and other packaged snacks so she can snack in the room or bring them along when she is off the ship. Our son thought this was excessive. Well, they were on the Anthem of the Seas last February when the ship experienced very rough seas (bad storm) and all the people were sent back to their cabins at 3:30 pm. They were told to stay there all night - until breakfast. The captain told everyone that they could eat out of their minibars for free because no food was being served. Our son was happy that his wife brought along packaged snacks - they ate them all that night.

A coffee bar on all the Solstice class ships is across the atrium from bistro on 5. This coffee bar has free snack size sandwiches, cheese, cookies etc. throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No more sandwiches at the Café on 5. pastries in the morning and changes to desserts for afternoon and evening. Also no cheese

You can ask your cabin steward (or butler if you're in a suite) to bring you a plate of something. Mention you're diabetic. A cheese plate, boiled shrimp, some fruit --- tell them you need it and they'll make sure you have nibbles in your cabin. Please tip them and even better --------- mention them on the Attention to Detail card. That is even better than a tip because there will be instant rewards to them and it goes on their file for future promotions. Do this on the first couple days and maybe even again at the end. I make it a habit to spell out specifically what someone has done and how good I thought it was, mentioning them by name and what their job is.

I have a sommelier come and hug me the next day saying she got an extra shift off. I have had an assistant room steward tell me he got a long phone call home and a waiter tell me he got a bunch of free internet.

So whatever you ask them to do, make sure you mention it to them on the card. If you need more cards, get them at guest relations.

Have a great cruise and welcome to CC. Be sure to get on your Roll Call (see above to find it) and begin having conversations with the people who will be on your exact cruise.

We always take small disposable plastic containers with us on cruises. When we are up at the buffet we put some cheeses and dried meats in a container and grab some crackers in the other. We keep the cheeses/meat in the cabin fridge and the crackers on the shelf. I am also a diabetic and if a need some food I can always get some from our fridge 24/7. Besides the cheese and crackers go well with a cold beer on the balcony in the afternoon at sea

You might want to seriously consider cancelling your cruise... :(

It is EXTREMELY difficult to find ANY food at all... no matter where you go on ANY cruise ship. :rolleyes:

Early morning, late morning, noon, mid-day, early evening or late night... NO FOOD...*E*V*E*R* :eek:

The best thing you can do is leave all the extra clothes at home and pack two large suitcases full of non perishable food items so you can survive. ;)

Edited by teecee60

No more sandwiches at the Café on 5. pastries in the morning and changes to desserts for afternoon and evening. Also no cheese
:(

We always take small disposable plastic containers with us on cruises. When we are up at the buffet we put some cheeses and dried meats in a container and grab some crackers in the other. We keep the cheeses/meat in the cabin fridge and the crackers on the shelf. I am also a diabetic and if a need some food I can always get some from our fridge 24/7. Besides the cheese and crackers go well with a cold beer on the balcony in the afternoon at sea

:):):):)

Bean and Gold... YOU ARE both helpful and brilliant!

and to TEECEE... :p .. You don't know what HANGRY DIABETICS/Gluco sensitive folks are like when they can't find a snack... think 2 year olds wanting their snack...NOW! No waiting for room service, etc.

As it is, I currently walk around with all sorts of energy/snack bars/crackers/ cheese and cracker packs in my purse/pack but I was just thinking HOW MUCH do I really want to bring if its really that easy to get.

thanks all

The "Hangry" Phenomenon is a great diagnostic tool. It's led to hypoglycemic &/or thyroid diagnosis for a number of individuals!!!

The first time I really recognized it, was back in the 90's when her kids started telling a family member... "Mom, you're grumpy, you need to get something to eat!"

Having said that, there is always food available on ship - especially protein items when you need it. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Mast Grill is open all day as well. You can get grilled mushrooms and onions, an appropriate portion of fries, bunless turkey burger, etc. Also sugar free gelato on 5 (S class), and sugar free ice cream all day at the buffet.

THANK YOU! It seems the older I get the more unwilling I am to 'wait' for something to tide me over... ANYTHING.. cheese/fruit etc. is much better than the alternative chips but really HANGRY is not a good place to be after a busy day in the sun or city. I get looks from husband and friends sometimes with a statement of "well... it's only a hour or so until we eat dinner... NO that's just the problem.

Your DH sounds like my DW.:)

Please tip them and even better --------- mention them on the Attention to Detail card. That is even better than a tip because there will be instant rewards to them and it goes on their file for future promotions. Do this on the first couple days and maybe even again at the end. I make it a habit to spell out specifically what someone has done and how good I thought it was, mentioning them by name and what their job is.

I have a sommelier come and hug me the next day saying she got an extra shift off. I have had an assistant room steward tell me he got a long phone call home and a waiter tell me he got a bunch of free internet.

So whatever you ask them to do, make sure you mention it to them on the card. If you need more cards, get them at guest relations.

e.

Thx for sharing this, I had no idea staff may get perks like u listed above for comment cards. I have made a point to give good comments at end of cruise, but hadn't during, or for extra little things, I will b sure to do for is on. Nice too know they may be rewarded.