Huge Price Increase!!!

mvaughan

We have two cruises booked and two days ago there had been no increase. Having read this thread, I just checked again and both cruises have increased by 38%-39%. If you make allowance for the 12% devaluation of the pound since the Brexit vote, that is still an additional 26%.

Edited by Project_gal

We booked one of the new itineraries on the Equinox for May 2017 released the week of July 11. Booked on July 19, today the price has gone up on our cabin exactly $500/pp. Although many categories have already sold out so I'm sure its due to demand. Glad we booked when we did.

Edited by minidonuts85

iandjm, I suspect you are correct. Pricing on our December cruise works out to exactly that. Still glad we booked early because we got a lower price and since we have to fly to the ports it makes it harder to wait for Tuesday Specials to book.

I can sense the second person half price promotion coming soon!

I agree with this! The 3 bookings we have went up $600-650 overnight. This makes no sense. I payed 1k Pp less if I consider my initial price at booking...

This is nuts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

OMG! I just checked the pricing on the cruise we booked back in 2015. The price is now $3000 more! Are they nuts at X?

If the price is up $3000, the "nuts" aren't at Celebrity. You'll see some of them at sailaway.

My guess is also for a 50% off second guest promo during Labor Day weekend. Doing the math for that scenario, it would take the initial fare back to almost what it was on the X site a few days ago for our next cruise. We're also at a ~60% jump in fare.

I've already got a few teaser emails for Labor Day sales from TA's I've got quotes from in the past.

Equinox 11 day Jan 9 2017, A1 (at A2 price) $ 2199.00 US pp, now at $3332.00 pp :eek:

Summit 9 day June 18 2017 "Sailing's Biggest Regatta in Bermuda" booked A1 (at A2 price) $ 3199.00 US pp, now at $ 4,399 :eek::eek:A1 (at A2 price)

Reflection 10 day Jan 19 2018 booked A1 (at A2 price) $ 2149.00 US pp, now at $ 2799.00 :eek::eek::eek:

All my other 7 booking the same pattern.

Just checked our 2 South American cruises, March 2017 on Infiinity.

2B veranda booked 8/2015 on board for

------------------------

Today they are

WOW. Now that's an increase. Same category and perks.

I might post on their Facebook page and ask what is happening? Does anyone think I'll get a meaningful answer?

Probably not until the new promo is announced, but it cannot hurt.

Our May 5, 2017 Equinox nearly doubled for 1A.

Our October 8, 2017 Summit up 50%. Never seen spikes like this. We are thinking a second guest discount promo is pending too.

I might post on their Facebook page and ask what is happening? Does anyone think I'll get a meaningful answer?

Do you not think that economics is not a meaningful enough of a reason for price increases or decreases?

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Prices go up and plenty of happy folks who booked at lower prices post about the great bargains they have. People looking to book at that point are upset that prices went up. Prices go down (after final payment) and people who waited to book are happy to post about their bargains and there are plenty of unhappy folks who booked earlier. I concede that these price increases seem higher than the usual variations. But, no matter what happens, some people are happy and some are mad. I guess that keeps Cruise Critic in business :)

Celebrity has been reporting strong advanced bookings for all areas with the exception of Europe. You don't reduce prices, and thus reduce profits if you don't need to. However, you do increase profits by making consumers think that they are getting something special, or appeal to those who want an all inclusive experience and don't care about the price. Things like drinks and internet are high profit areas. Since you are now forced to spend OBC onboard the ship gains added revenue. This is a for profit business and has become quite good at it. Tempt people by creating the illusion that they are getting all sorts of things as a bonus if they book now and people respond. To borrow and slightly modify a tag line from a gambling ad: Book with your head, not your heart. The best time to book is when you feel that the price is right for you.

How do you know the % filled?

I know how many cabins are in each category, check to see how many cabins are available add them up and divide by total cabins on the ship will yield % book.

This does NOT mean that the ship will sail at this capacity since there are a few months left for final payment.

bon voyage

Celebrity is running a new promotion next week which is called Two if by Sea sale for the month of September. I found this yesterday when googling Celebrity promotions. I am not a travel agent, just checking on prices for all of our upcoming bookings.

It has $25 dollar deposits from Sept 1-5 2016, then reduced deposits for the rest of September, and it is good on 4 night sailings and longer sailings from December 1, 2016-April 30, 2018, and is for oceanview and higher cabins and includes 1 of the 4 perks and must be a new booking made during the time period. Suites get all four perks and an upgrade to the premium beverage package. The price for the first person is full fare, the second person is half off. Excludes the transatlantics, transpacifics, repositioning Galapagos, Alaska cruisetours, and Celebrity Explorations, and can't be combined with any other promotion such as resident, senior, interline, exciting deals etc.

We have four sailings that would be in the time frame for the promotion. I repriced all of them with the new increased rates showing on Celebrity's website today and the half off for the second person over what we deposited the cabins for , and the base prices are exactly the same for three of our cruises with this promotion, and the only decrease was in a European sailing we have next year.

It may be that your travel agent is allowed to add more perks for a Labor Day sale next week, and I will recheck the prices on September the 1st for all of our cruises.

I hope it works out for others in getting a discount on their already booked cruises. I would really like it if Celebrity published a no perks base fare, but probably wishful thinking on my part.

Celebrity is running a new promotion next week which is called Two if by Sea sale for the month of September.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would really like it if Celebrity published a no perks base fare, but probably wishful thinking on my part.

K9 - I believe if you called your TA or X, they will provide that fare to you.

bon voyage

Thanks, I'll do that next week with my travel agent. I am happy with what we paid for our sailings, as I believe it is a fair price. Just all the promotions can make it difficult to determine whether there is a price drop available, and I would would always rather have the least expensive base rate and pay for the extras that I want onboard.

Celebrity is running a new promotion next week which is called Two if by Sea sale for the month of September. I found this yesterday when googling Celebrity promotions. I am not a travel agent, just checking on prices for all of our upcoming bookings.

It has $25 dollar deposits from Sept 1-5 2016, then reduced deposits for the rest of September, and it is good on 4 night sailings and longer sailings from December 1, 2016-April 30, 2018, and is for oceanview and higher cabins and includes 1 of the 4 perks and must be a new booking made during the time period. Suites get all four perks and an upgrade to the premium beverage package. The price for the first person is full fare, the second person is half off. Excludes the transatlantics, transpacifics, repositioning Galapagos, Alaska cruisetours, and Celebrity Explorations, and can't be combined with any other promotion such as resident, senior, interline, exciting deals etc.

We have four sailings that would be in the time frame for the promotion. I repriced all of them with the new increased rates showing on Celebrity's website today and the half off for the second person over what we deposited the cabins for , and the base prices are exactly the same for three of our cruises with this promotion, and the only decrease was in a European sailing we have next year.

It may be that your travel agent is allowed to add more perks for a Labor Day sale next week, and I will recheck the prices on September the 1st for all of our cruises.

I hope it works out for others in getting a discount on their already booked cruises. I would really like it if Celebrity published a no perks base fare, but probably wishful thinking on my part.

Our January ten day for a C3 is now $6213. We paid $4414 when we booked while on board last January on the same cruise.

Not only pays to book on board (X paid $200 deposit) but to book early. Days of last minute deals are far and few in between. Plus in most cases whatever savings one realizes from the cruise price is spent on higher airfare.

My December 2017 Cruise (non-holiday) is up as well, by over 50% per person. Even with the new promo, it would be considerably more per person.

Ah, well, this too shall pass. I'll just keep checking every week or so and look for the price to drop as it gets a bit closer. I can't imagine that the week before Christmas will be a big week, since the school-children will still be in school. So far, my family has 5 rooms booked, though, and I'm hoping to take a few more family members.

My guess is also for a 50% off second guest promo during Labor Day weekend. Doing the math for that scenario, it would take the initial fare back to almost what it was on the X site a few days ago for our next cruise. We're also at a ~60% jump in fare.

I've already got a few teaser emails for Labor Day sales from TA's I've got quotes from in the past.

That does not explain price rises in the UK. We neither have Labor (or, even, Labour) Day nor Labor Day Sales.