Sydney Cruise Ship Drug Bust!

Melina Roberge commented to someone on Instagram that she would not do the world cruise as it was too long. I hope she warned mum that she may not be home for 10 years or so.

Good point about the time locked away, although I will be surprised if they see ten years.:(

Good point about the time locked away, although I will be surprised if they see ten years.:(

I agree, it seems that our so called judicial system is in the habit of just handing out slaps on the wrist for crimes that in other countries incur the death penalty, or at least a good number of years locked up.

One may find, some may get lenient sentences.

They have only been arrested on suspicion, they haven't been convicted yet.

:cool:

They haven't been convicted, but I believe they have been arrested for possession of the drugs, not 'suspicion of possession'. It would be a bit difficult for any of the three to deny possession of the drugs when they were found in luggage in their cabin. One or all three might get more lenient sentences if they name names and give evidence against the people running the syndicate, but would they be brave enough to do that? :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

Another newspaper article. As usual, the Brisbane Times has a couple of errors, claiming that the cruise ends in Fremantle. It also repeats what other articles have said that it was a 66-night cruise, rather than part of the World Cruise.

Have a look at this link for an interesting photo. https://www.instagram.com/p/sMdomsTFtd/

Edited by Aus Traveller

No, but they also refused the chance at bail. If someone was genuinely innocent, and with the funds they seem to have at that age for a number of frequent holidays, I would have thought they would have applied...

Just watching this vid https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32474631/accused-drug-smugglers-show-off-luxury-cruise-holiday-before-being-arrested-in-sydney/#page1

Is that a blanket from MUTS and also a pool towel wrapped around the stuff?

It looks like a MUTS towel to me. On a previous news website I am sure I saw a pool towel.

I notice it said they did not apply for bail. I wonder whether their solicitor told them they wouldn't get it, or maybe they would rather be in gaol and have protection from members of the drug syndicate.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Well if they aren't convicted they should get nothing. Haven't seen much yet that points to even the shadow of a defence.

It looks like a MUTS towel to me. On a previous news website I am sure I saw a pool towel.

I notice it said they did not apply for bail. I wonder whether their solicitor told them they wouldn't get it, or maybe they would rather be in gaol and have protection from members of the drug syndicate.

I don't think they've been before a Court yet have they? So it would be police bail.

Basically three reasons not to apply for bail

1. You know you won't get it because you're a flight risk (these would probably be classified as such)

2. You know it will be set so high you can't afford it.

3. You know you're going down so may as well start eating away at the sentence in remand.

For this three is seems two out of three ain't bad.

Wonder who'll get the brief?

Edited by GUT2407

I don't think they've been before a Court yet have they? So it would be police bail.

1. You know you won't get it because you're a flight risk (these would probably be classified as such)

3. You know you're going down so may as well start eating away at the sentence in remand.

Let's hope it isn't Cleaver Green. ;)

I see that they have been before a bail Court, there is a fourth reason to delay applying too, so the lawyer can ensure he has money in trust before he applies.

No, but they also refused the chance at bail. If someone was genuinely innocent, and with the funds they seem to have at that age for a number of frequent holidays, I would have thought they would have applied...

Of course sorry you are right.

How silly of me, to forget that the sophisticated syndicate would have come forward to post bail.

Maybe they were pressed ganged, into the scheme. Via threats of violence for family members in their own country.

Where does the old boy fit into all this.

Of course they,instagrammed and face booked it as a cover, but because they were cruising,dosent mean they are flush with money.

Of course sorry you are right.

How silly of me, to forget that the sophisticated syndicate would have come forward to post bail.

Maybe they were pressed ganged, into the scheme. Via threats of violence for family members in their own country.

Where does the old boy fit into all this.

Of course they,instagrammed and face booked it as a cover, but because they were cruising,dosent mean they are flush with money.

They must have had some money, those coconuts on the beach are not that cheap.;)

Well, this is a substantially costing cruise, they were in a balcony cabin, and they're only sales assistants as a full time job, and only in their 20s. Can't think of too many 20 y.o. sales assistants that can afford - as well as take the time off for such a cruise. And we're meant to have high incomes.

But even beyond that, this wasn't the only exotic travel location they've travelled to this year, hence the reference to frequent holidays.

Really doesn't add up.

Well, this is a substantially costing cruise, they were in a balcony cabin, and they're only sales assistants as a full time job, and only in their 20s. Can't think of too many 20 y.o. sales assistants that can afford - as well as take the time off for such a cruise. And we're meant to have high incomes.

But even beyond that, this wasn't the only exotic travel location they've travelled to this year, hence the reference to frequent holidays.

Really doesn't add up.

Now ya going to have to bear with me,i can be a bit simple.

I'm going to have a shot in the dark as to who financed the trip.

I reckon the syndicate, what ya think, maybe.:eek:

NNooooo way,couldnt be.

Really doesn't add up.

I am not sure how much annual leave a shop assistant in Canada would get, but I don't think it would be more than four weeks. This cruise from Dover to Fremantle plus flying time would have been ten weeks. As you said, "really doesn't add up" unless the cruise fare plus a lot more cash was being paid by someone employing them.

I wonder if they were drug couriers on the other trips that were mentioned. I also wonder if the tip-off came from workmates or friends. They must have taken a lot of time off work and maybe bragged about their 10 week trip. Friends and workmates would have been following them on social media and could have been wondering where the money came from.