Sydney Cruise Ship Drug Bust!

I am not sure how much annual leave a shop assistant in Canada would get, but I don't think it would be more than four weeks. This cruise from Dover to Fremantle plus flying time would have been ten weeks. As you said, "really doesn't add up" unless the cruise fare plus a lot more cash was being paid by someone employing them.

I wonder if they were drug couriers on the other trips that were mentioned. I also wonder if the tip-off came from workmates or friends. They must have taken a lot of time off work and maybe bragged about their 10 week trip. Friends and workmates would have been following them on social media and could have been wondering where the money came from.

You are right about things not adding up but most people only see part of the picture and it is generally only when all the pieces are put together that it is blaringly obvious. The syndicate would have been meeting most if not all of the costs for this and any of the other trips they have made recently.

This drugs thing on cruise ships is really nothing new. Over the last four years that I have been working at the OPT I have on a number of occasions checked in a 90+ kilo "dope" going on a cruise :D:D:D

I have also seen how the border security guys work and the number of (unseen) sniffer dogs that check the luggage etc and even though they may look a little "laid back"....... they know exactly what is going on.

This drugs thing on cruise ships is really nothing new. Over the last four years that I have been working at the OPT I have on a number of occasions checked in a 90+ kilo "dope" going on a cruise :D:D:D

I have also seen how the border security guys work and the number of (unseen) sniffer dogs that check the luggage etc and even though they may look a little "laid back"....... they know exactly what is going on.

Exactly. Both Aust and NZ look like easy laid back targets to the "dopes". What they do not realise is that we are up with all the sophisticated procedures.

News media have reported the women were on a 66 night cruise and have mentioned Fremantle. They boarded in Dover on 9th July and the ship is due in Fremantle on 14th September - around 66 nights. It appears that the drug couriers were not going to disembark in Sydney, but continuing on to Fremantle. They could have intended to take the drugs ashore on a day visit in either Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin or Geraldton where screening of passengers coming ashore is more relaxed than when passengers disembark in Sydney. Syndicate members could have planned to meet them to take delivery of the drugs.

Nah,cmon,no way:rolleyes:

I certainly hope none of those dopes have stepped on the 'Sacred Red'.:eek:

News media have reported the women were on a 66 night cruise and have mentioned Fremantle. They boarded in Dover on 9th July and the ship is due in Fremantle on 14th September - around 66 nights. It appears that the drug couriers were not going to disembark in Sydney, but continuing on to Fremantle. They could have intended to take the drugs ashore on a day visit in either Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin or Geraldton where screening of passengers coming ashore is more relaxed than when passengers disembark in Sydney. Syndicate members could have planned to meet them to take delivery of the drugs.

Interesting, it certainly makes sense to me.

No one has ever screened me or my bag when leaving the ship on a port day.

Well ,,,, interupting this finest of dialogues. I know whilst berthed in cairns there was a port authority ship patrolling the waters up and down beside the cruise ship. What was it looking for? Drugs being tossed overboard to a courier?

Seems to happen most ports.

I have been in email contact with friends on this cruise. They heard nothing on board in Sydney about the arrest, but read about it later. One friend remarked that the young women were 'right out their drawing attention to themselves at every opportunity.' She said the men's eyes were popping out of their heads. Looking at the photos, I can see why she said what she did.

I have been in email contact with friends on this cruise. They heard nothing on board in Sydney about the arrest, but read about it later. One friend remarked that the young women were 'right out their drawing attention to themselves at every opportunity.' She said the men's eyes were popping out of their heads. Looking at the photos, I can see why she said what she did.

They certainly are a good 30 years younger than the average passenger on that cruise.

Interesting, it certainly makes sense to me.

No one has ever screened me or my bag when leaving the ship on a port day.

When we stopped at Portland, Brisbane, last year they were checking all bags but I think some people disembarked there. In April at the Grain Terminal there was no checking of anything.

Can't remember anyone checking anything coming off the ship the two times we've been in Darwin, just on reboarding.

Geraldton was a tender port and so checking there either.