HAVE YOU EVER....If so I need advise

cruzncouple

Friends of ours are about to embark on their first cruise, we are also going with them but they don't know we are going. We have FTTF so we plan on getting on before them (crossing fingers we don't see them in the terminal).

What would be the best way to surprise them? I don't want to give too much info: ship, port etc, in case they found this website.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate anything you think of.

We pulled off a similar surprise for long term friends. They thought we were going to Europe and the night before our flight, they picked us up to spend the night with them and take us to [bOS]Logan Express for a very early flight to San Francisco. They were getting ready to go on a West Coast cruise to mexico and leaving a day later.

While at their home, we told them that we had arranged a private reception for them [it was their honeymoon, second marriage a month earlier] and some type of VIP tour of the ship. I casually mentioned that the ship was supposed to give them an invitation to this "event" when they arrive at their cabin, but if not, then simply go to a place called the Venetian Suite after they board.

So, off we flew to SF and a day later, our friends also flew to San Francisco; thankfully we all had different pre-cruise plans and were not staying in the same location.

DH and I were among the first to board the ship about 11:30AM, while our friends didn't board until their designated time of 1:PM. One of the first things I did was head to their cabin and leave a formal invitation to this VIP event. I actually printed it on the same stationery our friends used for their wedding invitation!

Shortly after 1:PM came a knock on our stateroom door and as DH stood behind the door to open it, I was standing in front with my camera to capture their picture. I uploaded the pix to their two daughters who were in England and NY and totally involved in the planning of this.

We had a wonderful cruise, dining together, never on the same tours. Both couples spent a few days post cruise in San Francisco, so we did dine together and do a little sight seeing.

Darcy

I'd have thought that if someone's booked and paid for a holiday for two, and find that without asking them someone has turned it into a foursome, that's enough of a surprise. You won't need to jump out from behind the door or anything like that.

This sounds like fun and I hope you all have a wonderful time! I just wanted to let you know, though, that we cruised with my sister and her husband last year, and we came in on completely different days and flights (we actually picked them up in our rental car at the airport in Fort Lauderdale), and it really didn't matter that it was already planned... we had such a great time!!!!! My point is that if they do find out in the terminal or at Muster or whenever, it will still be amazing and incredible. Please try not to over-think this or worry too much. The moment you all see each other will be "the moment" no matter where it takes place. :)

I actually think showing up at the muster drill would be a hilarious way to surprise them. Only works if you have the same designated muster station. Hang back to make sure they are already there when you STROLL in and line up (if it's outdoors).

I would wait for them to board then casually walk over to them as enter the ship and ask if they need help with the bags. Just make sure you move over so people can still board. Have a drink in hand to give them. If you happen to miss them, once they are on board, just go to their cabin and knock. Sometimes a simple surprise is the best one.

I'd feel it a bit presumptious of me to assume they'd be thriled we 'invaded their privately planned cruise. I hope it all turns out fun for all of you and they are as delighted as you hope them to be. we sailed with any of our good friends, we always made plans with them to do just that.

Edited by sail7seas

Part of the fun when traveling with friends is the planning phase. I would consider telling them early so you can plan together. Would also give them some time to adjust to the idea. Just because they will be thrilled doesn't mean they won't have hidden thoughts about how much more fun it would have been with just the two of them. We love to travel with friends but sometimes we want to be alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums