How quick for Laundry?

Bruce62

Hi,

We are sailing on the 'Crown' in 10 days, after spending a week touring the Rockies.

If we hand in our laundry on the day of arrival, how soon until we can expect it back?

Sorry if this seems silly and trivial, but trying not to take too much across the pond and then dragging from hotel to hotel in Canada.

You should get a few different answers to your question today. It could take 24 hours to 2 to 3 days. It will really depend on how busy the laundry services are. If the ship has a large number of Elite passengers on board it might take longer as they receive free laundry services Best to ask when you get on board.

The washers and dryers in the laundry rooms cost $1.50 each. You can do your own laundry in a couple of hours instead of waiting. Hardly anyone uses them on the first day or two. I always bring my own soap and dryer sheets. You can purchase the travel sizes in CVS or even Walmart or similar stores.

The self-serve launderettes cost $3.00 per load wash or dry.

Was raised from $2.00 as the fleet was converted from using coins to using tokens purchased with your cruise card a couple years ago.

Hasn't been $1.50 since around the turn of the century.

You should get a few different answers to your question today. It could take 24 hours to 2 to 3 days. It will really depend on how busy the laundry services are. If the ship has a large number of Elite passengers on board it might take longer as they receive free laundry services Best to ask when you get on board.

Good answer. Second day is usually a good guess.

Currently on the Caribbean Princess, if you get it turned in by 9:00am, it's back the following day. Ours got turned in around noon, got it back around noon the 2nd day. Doing it yourself easily depends on where your cabin is - if you're very close to the laundry (one per deck), it can be easy to watch for less busy times, go back & forth to your cabin between loading, etc. If you're a long way from the laundries, it's a pain in the.... We were pleasantly surprised to have pants & knit shirts that we mixed in with underwear & socks come back on hangers, neatly pressed. Even knit pajamas were on hangers!

I agree.

A few weeks ago on the Star in Alaska, I turned in a bag of laundry on the first night. Surprisingly we got it back early evening the next day. We are Elite and there don't tend to be a lot of Elites on the Alaska cruises so we apparently benefited by getting it returned promptly.

I always got it back in one day. Just call me lucky. I don't know if this helps $5.00 tip.

Tony

I sincerely doubt that your $5 makes its way to those who work in the laundry room and who control how fast your laundry is processed.

Believe that the 2 to 3 day delay in laundry delivery is probably for Elite passengers that receive complementary laundry service. I believe that paying customers will probably receive either same day or next day service depending on what service they select. I also think that laundry turned in on boarding day will be delayed one day. Here is a little trick I found. Watch your on board account. When the laundry is finished the laundry service charge is posted to your account. This means it is ready. If the steward has not delivered to your cabin, remind him/her.

For the OP, suggest as others have to do your own after boarding. It will be ready in a few hours and cost a lot less.

Believe that the 2 to 3 day delay in laundry delivery is probably for Elite passengers that receive complementary laundry service. I believe that paying customers will probably receive either same day or next day service depending on what service they select. I also think that laundry turned in on boarding day will be delayed one day. Here is a little trick I found. Watch your on board account. When the laundry is finished the laundry service charge is posted to your account. This means it is ready. If the steward has not delivered to your cabin, remind him/her.

For the OP, suggest as others have to do your own after boarding. It will be ready in a few hours and cost a lot less.

You have a point. Without watching our on board account, we always remind our cabin steward before going for breakfast, "just in case".

The washers and dryers in the laundry rooms cost $1.50 each. You can do your own laundry in a couple of hours instead of waiting. Hardly anyone uses them on the first day or two. I always bring my own soap and dryer sheets. You can purchase the travel sizes in CVS or even Walmart or similar stores.

August 2016, Diamond Princess washer was $3 dryer was $3. I THINK products were $1.50 but I brought my own, so not sure of that. The laundry rooms were clean and well maintained. On a 20 night cruise, the first time I did laundry the room was quite busy and I had to wait about 10 minutes to get a washer. The second time I was the only person doing laundry!