Leaving in 13 days for our 1st Alaska trip on Sun!

NoName

Hi everyone,

We are flying out in 13 days to begin our 1st ever Alaska trip on the Sun (then staying on-board down to San Diego!). It has been a few years since we sailed NCL, and hoping it is as good as we remember. (However, suite last time, balcony this time....still good, right?) We are super excited. I am looking for any Sun tips, have any you want to share? (I already know to plug my nose if I head to the back of the boat!)

Surely, someone here loves the Sun and wants to tell me why? I started packing today....very different packing experience that I am used to......a little bit of everything, just in case. Hoping for a freak of nature and 80 degrees and lots of sunshine..... However, packing hats, mittens and rain coats....along with shorts:)

How are the specialty restaurants on the Sun? Where do they serve the burgers and chicken wings? How are the shows? I have the drink package....can I get hot chocolate with the package? Is the room service pizza still $5? Can we still get steak in Le Bistro?

Sorry for the rambling questions! Tell me about the Sun!

Kim

Hi everyone' date='

We are flying out in 13 days to begin our 1st ever Alaska trip on the Sun (then staying on-board down to San Diego!). It has been a few years since we sailed NCL, and hoping it is as good as we remember. (However, suite last time, balcony this time....still good, right?) We are super excited. I am looking for any Sun tips, have any you want to share? (I already know to plug my nose if I head to the back of the boat!)

Surely, someone here loves the Sun and wants to tell me why? I started packing today....very different packing experience that I am used to......a little bit of everything, just in case. Hoping for a freak of nature and 80 degrees and lots of sunshine..... However, packing hats, mittens and rain coats....along with shorts:)

How are the specialty restaurants on the Sun? Where do they serve the burgers and chicken wings? How are the shows? I have the drink package....can I get hot chocolate with the package? Is the room service pizza still $5? Can we still get steak in Le Bistro?

Kim[/quote']

We were on it for a Pacific Coastal a couple of years ago and liked it very much! The Sun cabins have a tiny bathroom with a tiny round shower that has a curtain that can sneak up on you. My wife finally figured out how to shave her legs in it by stretching her leg out onto the closed toilet.

That's the only real negative we noted. We were in Cagney's on an off night, and everyone there was unhappy (slow service, bad food, served cold). But others on board said they had the usual Cagney's experience, so we think our night was just a fluke.

I think the Sun and sister ship the Sky are the oldest in the current NCL fleet, but both are pretty nice cruise ships. The balconies put the -Away class balconies to shame in that they are large enough to be usable. You can actually sit there and watch the scenery go by. You should have a blast as Alaska is really, really special and a balcony cabin is definitely the way to see it!

You should be able to get powdered hot chocolate packets in the buffet near the tea stand. UNLESS there is now a charge for this. Also take a couple packets back to your cabin, you can use the coffee maker to make hot water for a cup of hot chocolate.

You'll get wings in the Sports Bar, and the soft serve machine is just outside there in the "Great Outdoors" (should you get up in the 70s :D)

The balcony cabins on the SUN are fairly large We had 8060 and it was a great location.

I loved eating in the Seven Seas (aft MDR) but the light sconces in the Four Seasons (mid MDR) are really cool looking.

All the specialty restaurants are up on the top of the ship --- the OMG views are forward in the Observation Lounge. Have a wonderful time!!

The observation lounge in bow at top of ship is great place to enjoy the view, with its ceiling to floor windows on three sides. Outside the observation lounge is a small outdoor area on the very bow of the ship. It is a great place for watching entering and exiting ports as well as enjoying the scenery -- if there aren't hordes of people.

The Great Outdoors at very aft of ship, outside the buffet, is also another great place to enjoy the scenery.

You can get hamburgers in Sports Lounge 5:30pm- 5:30am as well as chicken wings, fish filets, etc.

The side view from Sports Lounge is fantastic with floor to ceiling windows.

You can get hamburgers during the day at the outdoor grill by the pool.

If you haven't been on NCL for awhile, be aware that, except for complimentary continental breakfast, there is a $7.95 delivery charge for cabin service. Also when boarding or re-boarding the ship, make sure your water bottle is empty. As of this past July 16 no soda or water is allowed to be brought aboard.

Other than that, all is good and AK is awesome!

Edited by NMLady

I have a friend who is a staff member on The Jewel and he has been complaining about being cold in Alaska. A couple times they have not been able to go into glaciers very far because of the large ice flows.

I was on The Sun last Fall and love it.

Have a great time.

Hi everyone,

Kim

I've sailed the Sun 4 weeks this year. I am jaded. :) I've sailed several others in the fleet, and they appealed to me more. it is a ship that was built for the Caribbean, so it has limited buffet area inside seating. Always few seats at peak times, drafty at the pool side of the automatic siding doors, with cold food pretty quickly. Breakfast and lunch they do have a limited buffet on the other side, but the food is different so you may have to carry some between the two areas. The extra restaurants I find steps up from the free dining- which is just ok for me.

I just got off the Dawn yesterday and hot chocolate packs were still available at the buffet beverage area.

As mentioned- the burgers and wings are in the sports bar. Used to eating top notch of both from my vendors, I find both, pretty bad, on the ship. for my preferences. :)

The expansive front viewing deck is a highlight- if you don't want outside viewing. for outside- I'm always on the lower wrap open deck- which does run into the "odors". I've sailed the Sun in Alaska based on the itinerary. I've also sailed the Pearl which "wins" for me, just comparing the 2 ships. :) Both several times. But- the ship matters little to me- I enjoy all my sailings for where it takes me and the convenience of meals, lodging and transportation. For someone who does get a lot out of a cruise ship- it may not be the best choice.

We were on it for a Pacific Coastal a couple of years ago and liked it very much! The Sun cabins have a tiny bathroom with a tiny round shower that has a curtain that can sneak up on you. My wife finally figured out how to shave her legs in it by stretching her leg out onto the closed toilet.

I read about those pesky shower curtains. Should I pack magnets?

Kim

The expansive front viewing deck is a highlight- if you don't want outside viewing. for outside- I'm always on the lower wrap open deck- which does run into the "odors". I've sailed the Sun in Alaska based on the itinerary. I've also sailed the Pearl which "wins" for me, just comparing the 2 ships. :) Both several times. But- the ship matters little to me- I enjoy all my sailings for where it takes me and the convenience of meals, lodging and transportation. For someone who does get a lot out of a cruise ship- it may not be the best choice.

I am looking forward to that viewing deck. Which deck has the lower wrap deck? Heck, I'm a nurse so the smell of poop won't even be noticed! I am SURE I have smelled much worse....and can eat lunch while doing so! LOL.

Kim

I have a friend who is a staff member on The Jewel and he has been complaining about being cold in Alaska. A couple times they have not been able to go into glaciers very far because of the large ice flows.

I was on The Sun last Fall and love it.

Have a great time.

I am prepared for the cold. We live in upstate NY, so used to the cold...will just dress for it:) However, not being able to make it in to the glaciers...that would be very disappointing!

Kim

Hi everyone,

Kim

Bring warm clothes.

I read about those pesky shower curtains. Should I pack magnets?

Kim

We used wooden clothes pins on the bottom of the shower curtain. Worked great.

And when not in use that way and shower not in use could be used for hanging clothes on the clothes line in shower. :)

We were on the Jewel last week. The ship was suppose to go to the Sawyer Glacier, but ended up going to the Dawes glacier (which is the same thing we did last June) due to ice. When we got to the Dawes glacier, we ended up pretty far away (still had a good view), but about 1/2 mile further out than last year. If the ice was any worse, we may have not made it anywhere near the glacier.

ice.jpg

ice_21.jpg

Nice idea. Was wood a choice over plastic?

Yes. Our wooden clothes pins were heavier than our plastic ones and since the main purpose was to weight down the shower curtain we chose the wooden ones to bring with us.

Edited by NMLady

Just got off the Sun this past Monday. Every time we were on the aft stairs, I would check for any smells. Nothing was noticeable when we were there.

Sports Bar also has chicken tenders with fries .

We did the northbound and went to glaciers on 2 days. No problem.

Have fun !

Just got off the Sun this past Monday. Every time we were on the aft stairs, I would check for any smells. Nothing was noticeable when we were there.

Sports Bar also has chicken tenders with fries .

Have fun !

What were the hours for the Sports Bar? They were pretty limited in the past. Also, they stills serving breakfast and lunch in Moderno? What did they have up in the tapas bar?

What were the hours for the Sports Bar? They were pretty limited in the past. Also, they stills serving breakfast and lunch in Moderno? What did they have up in the tapas bar?

In March/April when I was last on the ship. The Sports bar opened around 5pm. Always- has the overflow buffet area of Moderno been used for breakfast and lunch, since I first sailed this ship in 2005. Been on it close to 10 times.

Have fun !

You did Glacier Bay and Hubbard. The south does Tracy Arm, completely different area, that has been missed most of this season. At least they do substitute Endicott Arm. In my opinion, grossly superior viewing, is not from the cruise ship, but from the add on ship tour. Always something I take advantage of- with my glacier priorities. :)

I live in anchorage Alaska, born raised in Juneau, you should anticipate it being in the high 50s to low 60s with lots of rain. I'd recommend having some waterproof foot wear and rain pants with you. Also layers of clothes will work best cause you can take stuff off when the sun peeks out and then bundle up again when you're cold, weather tends to change rapidly up here. Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in anchorage Alaska, born raised in Juneau, you should anticipate it being in the high 50s to low 60s with lots of rain. I'd recommend having some waterproof foot wear and rain pants with you. Also layers of clothes will work best cause you can take stuff off when the sun peeks out and then bundle up again when you're cold, weather tends to change rapidly up here. Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the great advice. I will take it!

Kim