How to SUCCESSFULLY Make a 7:50A Flight on Disembark Day - Allure/Port Everglades

Nado44

WOW. You will never make that flight. You would have a tuff time with a 8:45 flight. The line at airport secure at ffl on the weekend will be crazy. Even if you have a first class ticket. And had a suite on the ship with the genie walking you off. Good luck.

We just went from SL to our seat at the airport in 40 minutes and this was around 9am. At that point they had already called up to number 38 called? We were flying first class as well. We did look at the delta first class line at the airport and there was no one in the line and 1 person at the counter.

Would I try to make a flight that early? No, but I would go for a flight around 10. I wouldn't hesitate to book it. You would lose the use of luggage valet but with 1st class checkin it would maybe add 25 minutes.

Sea Shepherd, I love your user name.:)

I honestly believe you will make it.

Will it be easy? No. Will it be stressful? Yes!

We made a 9:30 flight when we disembarked at 8:15 in tampa. That was an hour and fifteen minutes and it looks like you have a similar time line. Was supposed to disembark at 8, but it ran late. I will tell you though, we are in our 20's and we were physically running down the ramps off the ship, through the terminal, out to the taxi stand, and through the airport. We probably looked very rude as we darted through and past people. It was not fun, but I do think it's do-able, and it is a fun story once you successfully make it on.

However, we did check our luggage so late (~5-10 min prior to take off) they weren't sure if would make it to our destination. For the record, it did make it. Would I recommend it- NO, but do I think it can be done- YES.

We apparently got cocky because on our upcoming cruise we selected a 10am flight too. When you're on a mission, you can get it done. I bet you make it!

Also of note: We waited through the regular security line, did not have priority disembarking, etc. Just regular old all by ourselves. We were very early in the line to get off the ship though, because we knew we had to fly! I think we were in line by 530am, maybe 6.

We promise to refrain from rudeness or cockiness. We also promise to not cut any lines that may form ahead of us at 530 am. And yes, it'll make for a fun story to tell at the dinner party that evening should our mission succeed.

And thanks for the honest vote of confidence! :)

Night Before: Pack Standard Sized Carry-On Bags

5:30A - Mobile Check-In via phone

6:00A - Line up for Self-Disembark

6:30A - Disembark

6:40A - Global Entry/Passport Control

6:45A - Taxi from Port Everglades to FLL Airport

7:00A - Check in Bags up until 7:05A cut off point (Otherwise, self-carry bags onto aircraft)

7:05A - Proceed to Gate

7:20A - Boarding

7:40A - Doors close

7:50A - Take off

If there are no delays, it's very possible you'll make it, but I'd suggest 2 things:

1. Get in line well before 6:00am. You have no idea how many others might be lining up early.

2. Forget about checking bags if you have any delays prior to airport arrival. Even if there is no line at check-in, it will take a couple of minutes that you may not have. They have to check your ID's, pull up your reservation in the computer, print the tags.

Also, there is no mention in your timeline about getting through airport security. That early in the morning on a weekend it may be no issue, but I've also see the line out the door at FLL. All the more reason to line up earlier on the ship to ensure you are truly one of the first to disembark and get to the airport. Worse case scenario? You end up with a little extra time at FLL to get a cup of coffee before boarding.

WOW. You will never make that flight. You would have a tuff time with a 8:45 flight. The line at airport secure at ffl on the weekend will be crazy. Even if you have a first class ticket. And had a suite on the ship with the genie walking you off. Good luck.

For many ships/ports you'd be correct, but for Oasis-class ships at FLL it really is a different situation. Doing everything the OP plans to do (self disembark, carry-on bags only, has Global Entry for the port, which will also give them Pre-Check at the airport) at 8:45 flight is not "tuff" but very doable, and a 7:50 flight? Yep, they can probably make that too. Mind you, I can't bring myself to recommend it, but I've been at FLL in plenty of time for an early flight like this following a cruise.

As for security lines at FLL on a weekend, yes, there are thousands of cruise passengers heading to the airport from multiple ships, but the OP has a couple of things going for them. First and most importantly, if they arrive at 6:45-7:00am, very few cruise pax will be there yet so there's an excellent chance that the security lines will be short or there won't even be a line at all. Second, FLL is divided into 4 separate terminals, and each terminal has its own security checkpoint, unlike at many airports where everyone feeds into one single same security area.

We promise to refrain from rudeness or cockiness. We also promise to not cut any lines that may form ahead of us at 530 am. And yes, it'll make for a fun story to tell at the dinner party that evening should our mission succeed.

And thanks for the honest vote of confidence! :)

Since I was not invited to the dinner party. Can you come back and tell us your story>

If there are no delays, it's very possible you'll make it, but I'd suggest 2 things:

1. Get in line well before 6:00am. You have no idea how many others might be lining up early.

2. Forget about checking bags if you have any delays prior to airport arrival. Even if there is no line at check-in, it will take a couple of minutes that you may not have. They have to check your ID's, pull up your reservation in the computer, print the tags.

Also, there is no mention in your timeline about getting through airport security. That early in the morning on a weekend it may be no issue, but I've also see the line out the door at FLL. All the more reason to line up earlier on the ship to ensure you are truly one of the first to disembark and get to the airport. Worse case scenario? You end up with a little extra time at FLL to get a cup of coffee before boarding.

For many ships/ports you'd be correct, but for Oasis-class ships at FLL it really is a different situation. Doing everything the OP plans to do (self disembark, carry-on bags only, has Global Entry for the port, which will also give them Pre-Check at the airport) at 8:45 flight is not "tuff" but very doable, and a 7:50 flight? Yep, they can probably make that too. Mind you, I can't bring myself to recommend it, but I've been at FLL in plenty of time for an early flight like this following a cruise.

As for security lines at FLL on a weekend, yes, there are thousands of cruise passengers heading to the airport from multiple ships, but the OP has a couple of things going for them. First and most importantly, if they arrive at 6:45-7:00am, very few cruise pax will be there yet so there's an excellent chance that the security lines will be short or there won't even be a line at all. Second, FLL is divided into 4 separate terminals, and each terminal has its own security checkpoint, unlike at many airports where everyone feeds into one single same security area.

Thanks for this reassuring reply. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We SUCCESSFULLY boarded our 7:50 am flight!

We had breakfast at the WJ once it opened at 5:30 am. Got into the disembark line at 6:00 am. About 50 other pax were already in front of us. Disembarkation began promptly at 6:15 am. Cleared passport control/customs by 6:30 am. Our taxi got us to FLL airport by 6:45 am. We checked in our two overstuffed carry-on bags and breezed past other pax courtesy of being pre-cleared via TSA Pre-check. We were in our seats by 7:20 am.

Would we do it again? Absolutely, but only as a last resort. The only thing we'd do differently is get into the disembark line earlier, i.e. 5:45 am. By 6:15 am, the line grew to be a very long one.

Thanks everyone for the advice and reassurances! I'll be posting a review of our cruise (Allure/President's) in the next few days.

Cheers!

• Like 2

We had breakfast at the WJ once it opened at 5:30 am. Got into the disembark line at 6:00 am. About 50 other pax were already in front of us. Disembarkation began promptly at 6:15 am. Cleared passport control/customs by 6:30 am. Our taxi got us to FLL airport by 6:45 am. We checked in our two overstuffed carry-on bags and breezed past other pax courtesy of being pre-cleared via TSA Pre-check. We were in our seats by 7:20 am.

Would we do it again? Absolutely, but only as a last resort. The only thing we'd do differently is get into the disembark line earlier, i.e. 5:45 am. By 6:15 am, the line grew to be a very long one.

Thanks everyone for the advice and reassurances! I'll be posting a review of our cruise (Allure/President's) in the next few days.

Cheers!

Thanks for the update and glad that it worked out for you.

thanks for the update and glad to hear that you made it without a problem!

We are still on the fence for 8 AM flight out of FLL, because our in laws are Canadians and they might take longer to clear the Customs.

I think the OP was able to do this because of global entry. If you have that an were assured you would be in line at 5:30 to be the first at customs - maybe??? I would not be having breakfast at the WJ!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cheers!

If I were you I would buy every lottery ticket I could get my hands on.:eek:

I think the OP was able to do this because of global entry. If you have that an were assured you would be in line at 5:30 to be the first at customs - maybe??? I would not be having breakfast at the WJ!

The Global Entry line wasn't available. I think they open later in the morning. There were many agents handling passport control/customs and they worked super fast!

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your review. Did you have enough energy for the dinner party?

The party is tonight. Our flight landed at 10 am and we were home by 11. We'll likely get a nap in later this afternoon! :)

Cheers!

Glad you made it!

Please don't do this again.

As for odd things that can happen, a boat crashed this morning in the Government Cut (Miami Marlins Jose Fernadez was killed) and it shut down all shipping traffic for several hours to the Port of Miami.

There are just so many things that can happen.

Be thankful, don't recommend this to anyone else, and book a later flight next time.

Pushing your luck to end up ruining your next holiday.

Didn't read much of the thread, but just wanted to add that we disembarked the Oasis in Fort Lauderdale and went from the ship to the curb in 12 minutes. No line at 630am and when we walked downstairs, the doors were already open. We walked our luggage off and were at the airport by 6:50-6:55. Best disembarking experience ever!

Guess that is why you should read all, before posting. I assumed this was a yesterday post. I am just not used to getting so much done in a day, Your whirlwind tour has got my head spinning. You landed before my post. Enjoy tonight. Wow!:)

Edited by cruzin76

Guess that is why you should read all, before posting. I assumed this was a yesterday post. I am just not used to getting so much done in a day, Your whirlwind tour has got my head spinning. You landed before my post. Enjoy tonight. Wow!:)

as experienced cruisers, we know not to book early am flights on disembarkation day. However, due to an involuntary airline schedule change and other circumstances, we have no choice but to book a 7:50a flight out of fll. Rebooking our cruise, flying out of mia, taking a later flight or overnighting are not options at this point. We will also be packing light and traveling with only carry-on bags.

What else should one do or consider on disembarkation day in order to make the beeline?

night before: pack standard sized carry-on bags

5:30a - mobile check-in via phone

6:00a - line up for self-disembark

6:30a - disembark

6:40a - global entry/passport control

6:45a - taxi from port everglades to fll airport

7:00a - check in bags up until 7:05a cut off point (otherwise, self-carry bags onto aircraft)

7:05a - proceed to gate

7:20a - boarding

7:40a - doors close

7:50a - take off

swim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!