Azamara vs Regent, An Actual Comparison Based on Onboard Experience

rallydave

At least in our case, we booked our business class air through Regent at a savings of at least $1400 per person over the same flight shown in Kayak. That is meaningful to me in any comparison analysis.

I was on the same cruise as rallydave. We booked our business class air through Azamara (Air2Sea, formerly Choice Air) and the price was 50% less than shown on Kayak. On our first two Azamara cruises, our price was the same as shown on Kayak.

So it sounds like when I do sail on Mariner in January I'll be able to mostly compare the Regent *now* to the Regent *then*, i.e., four years ago and back to 2000, when we started sailing Radisson, and gradually increased our voyages to about one a year in 2005 until 2012. We have seen lots of ups and down with the product during that time.

Yes, you can't get Perrier for free on Azamara. I agree this is chinzy, but I'll live with generic bottled fizzy. They are fine-tuning what is offered, sometimes from feedback on the CC forum. We will have to put up with Gordon's gin in our G&T's, the horror! (It's actually the brand we buy at home.) Beer selection is poor, but then it's usually poor on Regent too.

Yes, the staterooms are small on the R ships. That's why we have booked a suite. With a suite we get included specialty restaurants. And some complimentary internet (although speeds are not up to Regent yet, apparently.) Our benchmark for small but perfect staterooms are those on the Paul Gauguin--about 200 sqft, but so well-designed and laid out that this is not a problem. Our Club Continent Suite on Journey is about the size of a standard stateroom on Mariner, I believe.

Jackie, your tone in this thread isn't the Jackie that I have enjoyed talking with on these boards; you are almost scornful of the people who like Azamara. And it would only have taken you one or two clicks over to the Azamara board to discover that Quest is only a couple of months or so out of a "rip it to the studs and replace" refurbishment, and Journey's was done last Winter, so "could somebody tell us when Azamara underwent a refurbishment" was unnecessary.

Pam, sorry if I am coming across as scornful of the people who like Azamara as this is not my intention. The only attention I've paid to Azamara prior to yesterday was in comparison threads between Oceania and Azamara (where Azamara wins in terms of friendliness of the staff but loses on food.)

My question about refurbishment could have been phrased better. I know that the Quest was recently refurbished but wonder about the refurbishment prior to that as I read on the Oceania board that the ships were looking quite shabby. I know that when Regent goes more than 2 years, their ships look pretty bad. When comparing cruise lines I like to know how often the ships are refurbished.

Many of my comments are the result of surprise. When I saw "water" on the packages list, when I saw the included and premium alcohol list and the size of the suites, etc. I was really taken aback (and posted right after I was reading the Azamara board). If this thread were comparing Azamara to Oceania, my comments would definitely have been more favorable to Azamara.

Although not in my signature, we have sailed on Disney (it is my favorite mainstream cruise line) and a couple of river cruises (do not care for river cruising). We have also sailed on Azamara's competition - Oceania. I posted that the main reason I would not sail on Azamara was the ships (former Renaissance ships - the same as four of Oceania's ships). Our two Oceania were on their large ships and we enjoyed both cruises.

flossie - must disagree. There were significant changes on Regent ships in the past five years. Sette Mari did not exist when the OP last sailed on Regent. Prime 7 was not on the Navigator. Since the last refurbishment of the Navigator, many areas were gutted. The public areas of the Navigator are significantly different. These were very major refurbishments (although not quite as major as what is going on currently). If Regent just wanted the ships to look nice, they could do what Silversea does and replace carpeting in "some" areas and spending the minimal amount to make the ship superficially look good.

As is often said on Cruise Critic, we all have choices of cruise lines and not everyone's tastes are the same. Quite frankly, I'd rather sail on Azamara than on Crystal's two old ships (oops - now I'll really get blasted!).

Edited by Travelcat2

Wendy: I will eagerly await your Azamara report. They have a fjords itinerary that sounds better than the one on Regent. I do very much appreciate the included excursions on Regent (I know many do not), but if plenty of other things were appealing, I'd maybe give Azamara a try.

Thanks, rallydave, for starting this thread. And thanks to all who've been chiming in.

Your so very welcome Pam.

Also, so wonderfully refreshing to see your Regent & Azamara thread posts with such enthusiasm, especially considering Mark's death just a few years ago. Bravo Pam!

Hope you continue to enjoy Fair Winds & Following seas on the Azamara Quest.

There were significant changes on Regent ships in the past five years. Sette Mari did not exist when the OP last sailed on Regent. Prime 7 was not on the Navigator. ...

OP said he sailed Regent 3 years ago. I sailed Navigator over 4 years ago and there definitely was a Prime 7. And I've been in Sette Mari as well, must have been Navigator. In 2012.

Wendy: I will eagerly await your Azamara report. They have a fjords itinerary that sounds better than the one on Regent. I do very much appreciate the included excursions on Regent (I know many do not), but if plenty of other things were appealing, I'd maybe give Azamara a try.

I would love to do the fjords too, poss, although I still am leaning towards the Hurtigruten for that (but you won't get a king-sized bed, lol!) If I think of it, I will take my tape measure and measure the bed on Journey!

flossie - must disagree. There were significant changes on Regent ships in the past five years. Sette Mari did not exist when the OP last sailed on Regent. Prime 7 was not on the Navigator. Since the last refurbishment of the Navigator, many areas were gutted. The public areas of the Navigator are significantly different. These were very major refurbishments (although not quite as major as what is going on currently). If Regent just wanted the ships to look nice, they could do what Silversea does and replace carpeting in "some" areas and spending the minimal amount to make the ship superficially look good.

Sette Mari was introduced on all 3 ships in 2012; the OP said he sailed on Regent 3 years ago

I now understand that the 'new ships' characterisation that you gave in your previous post was specifically focussed on the refurbishments on Navigator

Since we have only sailed on Voyager & Mariner we missed that re-incarnation; the refurbs on Mariner & Voyager being concentrated on carpeting and soft furnishings

Edited by flossie009

Whadda you mean, Wendy-- IF you think of it!? Put it in your pocket NOW.

(Rachel, I am sure, has hers already safely packed.)

Can't pack it right now, 'cause I'm using it (sewing!) But I will try. :p

The discussion of shabbiness. I guess that means that Mariner will be shabby when I board her in January, prior to the spring refurb.

I have to say, I was on Navigator just before a refurb in 2012 and the ship was NOT SHABBY!@!#%*! If this were true, how could they get people to keep sailing?

To get back on topic (somewhat), could someone let us know when Azamara last went through a major refurbishment? The same can be asked of Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn (note: some Siversea ships have recently gone through a refurbishment but it was a very long time since the previous refurbishment).

Let's try to look at factual information rather than opinions - at least for this thread.

The Crystal Serenity just went through a major enhancement. Really the only room that needs a refresh is the Palm Court.It is in perfect condition but the style could be updated as the Symphony is.

The Crystal Symphony is total perfection with respect to decor, soft goods etc. Both ships have a layout that is impeccable. While most Regent cruisers do not want to sail in the standard cabins, You can get off the ship with a zero bill and the wine is drinkable, the premium liquors are available, water is free everywhere and service stellar.

i thought I saw a Regent Navigator itinerary in 2017 but it disappeared from the website and I booked something else on Oceania - which ironically had the same itinerary as the Navigator for much less. Even Air included, hotel included, excursions included. And while some don't want to admit - the Executive Chef told us that menus and other food services are shared between the lines.

>>Originally Posted by ronrick1943

To get back on topic (somewhat), could someone let us know when Azamara last went through a major refurbishment? The same can be asked of Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn (note: some Siversea ships have recently gone through a refurbishment but it was a very long time since the previous refurbishment).<<

(Can't find your original post so forgive the weird quote.)

I've been following the Azamara board since I booked our upcoming cruise, but I can't remember when the "Reimagining" happened to the two ships. But it's very recent, like earlier this year, perhaps spring.

>>Originally Posted by ronrick1943

To get back on topic (somewhat), could someone let us know when Azamara last went through a major refurbishment? The same can be asked of Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn (note: some Siversea ships have recently gone through a refurbishment but it was a very long time since the previous refurbishment).<<

(Can't find your original post so forgive the weird quote.)

I've been following the Azamara board since I booked our upcoming cruise, but I can't remember when the "Reimagining" happened to the two ships. But it's very recent, like earlier this year, perhaps spring.

Believe Journey was Re-Imagined in February and Quest in April +/- a month.

We have cruised on both Azamara and Regent. Clearly the standard balcony cabins on A are much smaller than on RSSC and R includes premium brand liquor. Food & service on both lines were very good. We would cruise on either line depending on itinerary and price.

'Re-Imagined'.

Is that anything like 'refurbished' or 'refreshed'?

And people accuse Regent's marketing of being too over the top... :rolleyes:

NO Bill, neither refurbished or refreshed would cover the work that was done. We were quizzical about that term as well but, after sailing, the term fits excellently. Your terms don't even come close to the work that was done and the changes and upgrades that were incorporated. Compared to Navigator which Regent thought had not come out of dry-dock when it was already revenue sailing and Regent's almost complete lack of any description of their refurb, Azamara did an excellent job of providing descriptions of the work and photos as it progressed thru various forms of Social Media and CC and is a sign of a true Luxury Cruise LIne.

NO Bill, neither refurbished or refreshed would cover the work that was done. We were quizzical about that term as well but, after sailing, the term fits excellently. Your terms don't even come close to the work that was done and the changes and upgrades that were incorporated. Compared to Navigator which Regent thought had not come out of dry-dock when it was already revenue sailing and Regent's almost complete lack of any description of their refurb, Azamara did an excellent job of providing descriptions of the work and photos as it progressed thru various forms of Social Media and CC and is a sign of a true Luxury Cruise LIne.

Dave - regardless of the extent of the work done, I was just pointing out that I think the term 'Re-Imagined' was a bit of marketing jibber-jabber. Sounded like a phrase out of Disney or something.

And I also disagree that simply posting photos and descriptions of a reconfiguration of a ship is 'a sign of a true Luxury Cruise Line' - it's good business and good marketing, but you could post pictures of a tugboat refurb, it doesn't make the tugboat a luxury ship. And no, I'm not slamming Azamara - I really don't know much about them. I was just pointing out that I thought their phrasing was a bit flamboyant.

PS - yeah, Regent really dropped the ball on the Navigator refurb - I'll be the first one to admit that. Nice upgrades but very poorly communicated.

Agree that simply posting photos and descriptions during the reconfiguration or refurbishment of a ship does not, in and of itself, make it a luxury ship.

What would have been truly impressive would have been having the cabins and bathrooms enlarged. While almost impossible to do with most ships since the cabins are prebuilt and inserted into the ship when it is almost completed (exception is the Explorer where every suite was built on site), Seabourn had, IMO, the best way of truly reimagining a ship. They took the suites that seemed too small (the older ships - now current ones), and put a door in between two suites which created more or less a super suite. It then had two bathrooms, a living room and a bedroom. We were very impressed with what they did.

With the exception of the bathrooms. The pictures of the re-imagined cabin bathroom shown in the Azamara website were not what we experienced when we went into our verandah cabin on the Journey in March/April.

Journey was refurbed in Jan/Feb of this year and Quest was April/May from what they told us. The first cruise on Journey after refurb was a disaster according to a lot of the folks who were on that cruise. Especially the suites. There were reports of no toilet seats, trash cans, bath plugs, etc.

For us, I looked at the pictures of the bathroom and they showed a cabinet over the sink. Well, there was no cabinet. They only shelves were over the toilet. They took out the shower lines and removed hooks so there was no place to hang wet bathing suits. We brought a retractable shower rod with us and had a heck of a time trying to put it up. The shower was so small that some people on our cruise were actually taking a shower in the bathroom with the handheld device because they said they couldn't fit in the shower!

We have been on the Quest before and do not remember the showers being that small. The toilet is on an angle so very awkward for some tall people.

BTW they said the contractors used the trash cans to mix cement and didn't replace them but we had new ones in our cabin.

All things considered we had a good time, good food and great crew.

Hope I answered some of the concerns here.

Agree that simply posting photos and descriptions during the reconfiguration or refurbishment of a ship does not, in and of itself, make it a luxury ship.

What would have been truly impressive would have been having the cabins and bathrooms enlarged. While almost impossible to do with most ships since the cabins are prebuilt and inserted into the ship when it is almost completed (exception is the Explorer where every suite was built on site), Seabourn had, IMO, the best way of truly reimagining a ship. They took the suites that seemed too small (the older ships - now current ones), and put a door in between two suites which created more or less a super suite. It then had two bathrooms, a living room and a bedroom. We were very impressed with what they did.

So may we ask TC why you have not booked a Seabourn cruise? Your last excuse was the smoking policy and that has been resolved.

We are so looking forward to trying Seabourn for a change now that the smoking policy has changed.

I don't see how putting a door between two small cabins is going to improve the bathroom; I have been on a Nile River boat that did exactly the same thing. Two postage-stamp sized bathrooms aren't "impressive" in my opinion.

Many thanks again, Wes, for the kind words. There have been some really hard moments but not as many as I expected.

I don't see how putting a door between two small cabins is going to improve the bathroom; I have been on a Nile River boat that did exactly the same thing. Two postage-stamp sized bathrooms aren't "impressive" in my opinion.

Many thanks again, Wes, for the kind words. There have been some really hard moments but not as many as I expected.

The bathroom on our Nile river cruise was also postage stamp size. From what I have seen on Oceania's former Renaissance ship, the bathroom wasn't as small as on a river boat. My thought about Seabourn was that having two suites merged into one gives each person his/her own bathroom (something we are always looking for on a cruise). I admired the fact that Seabourn tried to do something different with their small suites (although they did ultimately end up selling them).

Believe Journey was Re-Imagined in February and Quest in April +/- a month.

Journey was refurbed in Jan/Feb of this year and Quest was April/May from what they told us. The first cruise on Journey after refurb was a disaster according to a lot of the folks who were on that cruise. .

Perhaps here is the answer to your question TC