Alaska Ships Zaandam vs Noordam

mrobinson

We have never cruise HAL, been on Celebrity/Princess. Looking at a couple HAL Southbound cruises June 2017

We are probably going with an oceanview room and prices are similar between

Xaandam and Noordam. However there is a huge price difference on their balcony prices with Zaandam being more expensive.

Not being familiar with HAL ships - is there a big difference between these ships? Is one more preferable than the other.

We are flexible on our dates so could choose either ship.

These ships are two different classes of ships. The Zaandam is smaller, about 1400 pax and does not have as many balconies as the Noordam. The Noordam carries about 1900 pax.

But Alaska is about the itinerary, not the ship. I would carefully review the itinerary and select the one that has the longer port times (so you have the time to see what you want to see) and goes to the ports that you want to go to.

If all those things are equal, then go for the one that fits your budget and gives you what you want on a ship. Keep in mind that, while a balcony is very nice, you will only see one side of the view, if you stay only on your balcony. You will want to go out onto open decks to see a full 360 degree view. It's simply spectacular.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

One factor in favor of smaller ships on the SB/NB one-way routes is they can go into passages that larger ships can't use. Also they can get closer to glaciers. Then again for the R/T routes from Seattle that go into more open water larger can be better. Sort of bummed by our getting switched from Amsterdam to Oosterdam but balanced by Oosterdam being larger for our Seattle R/T next year. Another factor in favor of larger is more dining options so might be worth comparing that aspect too.

The Zaandam and Noordam have the same dining choices, so that's a wash. The Zaandam has more varied outdoor viewing space than the Noordam, especially sheltered outdoor space (which is handy in Alaska.) The Zaandam outside cabins are larger than comparable Noordam cabins. In fact, the Vista cabins on the Zaandam are considered suites, while on the Noordam, the Vista cabins are classified as "balcony". They are smaller, and don't give the extra Mariner days.

Edited by RuthC

Noordam has an additional (smaller) lounge called the Queen's Lounge with a really good band called the "B.B. King All-Star Band" providing nightly concerts (three sets) and dancing, which are really popular (they should be doing one concert in the main show lounge on the night prior to returning to your embarkation port).

Zaandam has a really cool and huge/three-deck high white Pluer pipe organ with mechanical figurines in her Atrium area that plays music at noon

Besides that, it's a toss up and you'll have a good time on either ship

• 7 years later...
On 9/6/2016 at 5:24 PM, RuthC said:

The Zaandam and Noordam have the same dining choices, so that's a wash. The Zaandam has more varied outdoor viewing space than the Noordam, especially sheltered outdoor space (which is handy in Alaska.) The Zaandam outside cabins are larger than comparable Noordam cabins. In fact, the Vista cabins on the Zaandam are considered suites, while on the Noordam, the Vista cabins are classified as "balcony". They are smaller, and don't give the extra Mariner days.

RuthC, your mention of sheltered outdoor space is huge.  We need to do an inside cabin for budget's sake, and were looking at the Noordam.  Now I'm wondering if we should think about a different ship.  That outdoor space is pretty critical for us, and having covered space would be a huge advantage.  Looks like the Zaandam only goes round trip from Vancouver, so that's not ideal, either.  Any suggestions? I realize your post is several years old, so it won't be fresh on your mind unless you've done more recent Alaska cruising.

On 9/6/2016 at 7:50 AM, mrobinson said:

We have never cruise HAL, been on Celebrity/Princess. Looking at a couple HAL Southbound cruises June 2017

We are probably going with an oceanview room and prices are similar between

Xaandam and Noordam. However there is a huge price difference on their balcony prices with Zaandam being more expensive.

Not being familiar with HAL ships - is there a big difference between these ships? Is one more preferable than the other.

We are flexible on our dates so could choose either ship.

Have been on both ships and enjoyed them. As others have said the cost difference is due to ship size and number of balconies.

Since you mentioned an Ocean view over a Balcony I would lean towards the Zaandam. The ease of access and the number of outside viewing areas is better.

• Like 1

Done both to Alaska, only difference is in degree but not really in substance between the two ships themselves. That said, we always chose the smaller ones ourselves.

I would also research who is sharing port with you on the same days - look up some of the marine traffic websites for that information, the fewer other ships in port the same day the better for me too.  Particularly on embarkation day - Vancouver can be a nightmare; Seattle less so. 

But honestly, here are no deal breakers between the two ships themselves. Routes and departure/disembarkation ports would be the only other factors I would consider if you are still splitting hairs between the two. Alaska itself transcends all other factors. 

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Done both to Alaska, only difference is in degree but not really in substance between the two ships themselves. That said, we always chose the smaller ones ourselves.

I would also research who is sharing port with you on the same days - look up some of the marine traffic websites for that information, the fewer other ships in port the same day the better for me too.  Particularly on embarkation day - Vancouver can be a nightmare; Seattle less so. 

But honestly, here are no deal breakers between the two ships themselves. Routes and departure/disembarkation ports would be the only other factors I would consider if you are still splitting hairs between the two. Alaska itself transcends all other factors. 

I think itinerary is the most important factor. Checking how many other ships you're with is a good idea. Even if it doesn't affect the choice of cruise, it can help you to plan if you have a sense of how crowded a port will be. This is usually a reliable source of info.

2024 Schedules | Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska (claalaska.com)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Thanks 1

We have done both ships and Noordam coming up again in a few weeks. I personally prefer the layout of the Zaandam. I dont like the closed in feeling that the Rolling Stone Lounge on the Noordam and Osterdam (same layout) . Zaandam is my favorite (fewer passengers too) but hey, a cruise on any HAL ship works for me. By the way, I have done OV in both ships and did not notice much difference in six=ze of the room.

Edited by pmjnh
  • Like 1

Remember that on Seattle based ships your route takes you to the west of Vancouver Island, in the open Pacific Ocean. Vancouver based ships travel to the east of Vancouver Island between the mainland and the Island which is a much more sheltered passage.

• Like 2