Carnival shares

lilaclabrador

Thank you for information. I have sent an email and attached a copy of the Contract Note which is the only proof I have and hope this works and we get our benefit.

A contract note only proves that you purchased the shares on a certain date. It does not prove that you currently own the shares. You should either have a share certificate that you can copy or, if held in a nominee account on line, a printout of your current holding.

Extract from website......

To apply shareholder benefits to your booking please forward the following items to us by email, fax or postal mail. You will need to include the following details in your communication:

Your name

Booking reference

Ship

Sailing date

Provide proof of ownership of Carnival plc stock or securities to Carnival UK (dated within the last 3 months). Examples of proof of ownership that will be accepted include dividend stubs, proxy statements or nominee statements. Please be sure to redact or otherwise black out your brokerage account number and all unrelated information about other investments before emailing any documents. .......

Brian

I had my shares in a nominee account but the closed their british operation so I bought shares via P&O. I have a share certificate and when claiming shareholder benefit merely quote my shareholder number via email. They reply within a day or so.

I had my shares in a nominee account but the closed their british operation so I bought shares via P&O. I have a share certificate and when claiming shareholder benefit merely quote my shareholder number via email. They reply within a day or so.

This is the easiest way for the info to link up it seems. We bought ours through our bank. For security reasons, P&O now don't accept emails of your current bank share holding so you now have to print a dated satement of your shares from the bank and send it with a letter by post. Given the option now I'd buy through P&O like Dave - more straightforward but it's not worth buying and selling just to avoid posting a letter and print out although until this occasion, when it took 10 days, it's been quick and easy - previously we've never had anything other than confirmation by return on receipt of the application.

I'm surprised to see in your information on claiming benefits a reference to emailing information Brian. Unless they have changed their procedure very recently I've not been able to do this for some time. They used to accept an email plus an attachment of a bank statement of current share holding but I had 2 emails rejected when I tried some time ago. They said they'd deleted them because they no longer accepted emails (concern over security?) and I had no other option but to send the info by post. Seems to be a conflict between what's on the website and practice. Unless they've changed back again!

Edited by kruzseeka

I'm surprised to see in your information on claiming benefits a reference to emailing information Brian. Unless they have changed their procedure very recently I've not been able to do this for some time. They used to accept an email plus an attachment of a bank statement of current share holding but I had 2 emails rejected when I tried some time ago. They said they'd deleted them because they no longer accepted emails (concern over security?) and I had no other option but to send the info by post. Seems to be a conflict between what's on the website and practice. Unless they've changed back again!

About a year ago Carnival changed the rules and would not accept email attachments so recently I have had to print off a statement and send by normal post. This was not a problem. The reference to email attachments has now been removed from the P&O website so now it seems you can apply by email again. I shall be applying for my next cruise in the next week so will see how the email attachment works.

Brian

About a year ago Carnival changed the rules and would not accept email attachments so recently I have had to print off a statement and send by normal post. This was not a problem. The reference to email attachments has now been removed from the P&O website so now it seems you can apply by email again. I shall be applying for my next cruise in the next week so will see how the email attachment works.

Brian

Please report back as I'd be very pleased to know that they have reversed their position on accepting emails - so much more convenient to do it that way. Wonder if they'd found a security loophole in their system which prompted them to delete emails and refuse them for a while and this has now been plugged.

You only have to provide "Proof of Share Ownership" once to Carnival (Hard copy by post) for them to hold on file. Any subsequent requests for Shareholder Benefit are just sent via E-Mail.

Proof of ownership has to be within the last thee months. See post #26 above.

If you have a share certificate, you can just email the certificate number which will enable them to check your holding on the share register.

Brian

We do not have a physical share certificate as our shares are held in an ISA wrapper and when I asked the broker who hold the stock for documentation to forward to Carnival they said they do this on our behalf. Their corporate actions team notifed P&O and they sent us an email to that effect. That was the day before the bank holiday weekend and I have not heard anything back nor could I find anything on my cruise personaliser. Yesterday I forwarded the email I received from our broker stating they had sent details with a query to Carnival asking if this had been applied but have heard nothing. Is it possible to check anywhere that the benefit has been applied to our booking?

Once it's applied, it will show up in your cruise personalizer under the Payments & Credits tab at the bottom under Credits. It will say Shareholder Benefits. Princess also requires the cover sheet that you fill out that has your booking number, ship name, sailing date, passenger name, etc on the form. If they received a random fax from your broker without that form, I doubt you will get the credit. Ask the broker to email the statement to you and resubmit. Or call Princess and explain and ask if you can send the cover form separately and if they are able to put them together. With as many of these requests as they receive daily, I would fear that one brokerage statement alone with no cover form might find its way into the trashcan quickly.

Another thought, I hope they blacked out your account numbers, personal info, other stock info etc. before they sent it. You only want to send proof that you own shares in CCL and any other ID or info needs to be blacked out. Surely they mail you a quarterly statement? Use that. It just has to be within the last 90 days. I sent 3 in recently with a June date on the statement and got the credit applied within 48 hours on all 3 cruises. I fill out the Princess form by hand and scan that and my stock statement on my printer to make a digital file on my computer and then use Freefax.com and fax it via wifi. Learned that trick from this forum recently!! Works like a charm. Stay after them about it! It is definitely worth the effort to get that credit!

One other thought, if you aren't taking advantage of the future cruise deposit program, you're also losing out on free OBC. You put down $100 per person deposit--this has to be done while on board a ship. (We usually put down @ $2,000 which gives my husband and I 10 future cruises each). Princess (my only knowledge of this is with Princess) will hold that up to 2 years and if you haven't booked a new cruise in that time, it is automatically refunded back to the address they have for you on file. Once you book a cruise, the $100 is applied and you automatically get the OBC based on the length of the cruise & cabin booked. Onboard Credit per person for - 3-6 Days: $15pp for inside/oceanview and $25pp balcony/suite; 7-10 Days: $25pp for inside/oceanview and $50pp balcony/suite; 11-16 Days: $75pp for inside/oceanview and $100pp balcony/suite; 17 + Days: $125pp for inside/oceanview and $150pp balcony/suite (copy/pasted).

Hope this info helps you and good luck!

Edited by RRFan

Once it's applied, it will show up in your cruise personalizer under the Payments & Credits tab at the bottom under Credits.

Sadly I don't think there is such a facility on the P&O personaliser or if there is, I can't find it. Would be useful to have a function to check such things.

Please report back as I'd be very pleased to know that they have reversed their position on accepting emails - so much more convenient to do it that way. Wonder if they'd found a security loophole in their system which prompted them to delete emails and refuse them for a while and this has now been plugged.

Just submitted my application by email with an attachment showing my shareholding. Will let you know how it goes.

Brian

Once it's applied, it will show up in your cruise personalizer under the Payments & Credits tab at the bottom under Credits. It will say Shareholder Benefits.

I have looked on the P&O Cruise Personalizer and cannot find the Payments and Credits tab. I have looked at the boxes on the left hand side, which show a green tick after you have completed each section, across the top under the headings with drop down boxes but they only seem to contain information and no links and then on the right hand side under the calendar there are boxes for booking select dining, shore excursions etc but still do not see and payments and credits tab.

Just submitted my application by email with an attachment showing my shareholding. Will let you know how it goes.

Brian

Thanks Brian.

I have looked on the P&O Cruise Personalizer and cannot find the Payments and Credits tab. I have looked at the boxes on the left hand side, which show a green tick after you have completed each section, across the top under the headings with drop down boxes but they only seem to contain information and no links and then on the right hand side under the calendar there are boxes for booking select dining, shore excursions etc but still do not see and payments and credits tab.

Yes that's what I reckon too. The poster seemed to be referring to Princess in terms of their personaliser and procedures.

Bought our 100 shares some years ago for circa £1700, not only have we had OBC worth several times that investment but look at the share price now. If you cruise with Carnival several or more times a year you are going to be quids in even at todays price.

Bal

We have just sorted our OBC out, this time it took about a week to come through but we did email them over the bank holiday weekend, first time it was a nightmare ended up having to call them but couldn't speak directly to correct department which made it more difficult but got it sorted in the end.

So if you've not applied for shareholders benefits before sort it out as soon as you can after paying the balance.

Once it's applied, it will show up in your cruise personalizer under the Payments & Credits tab at the bottom under Credits. It will say Shareholder Benefits.

One other thought, if you aren't taking advantage of the future cruise deposit program, you're also losing out on free OBC. You put down $100 per person deposit--this has to be done while on board a ship.

Unfortunately P&O doesn't have a payments and credits section like Princess, not sure why but its not there.

The P&O future cruise deposit program is not like Princesses, its doesn't cover the whole deposit you have to make it up to 15%, it self destructs after a year if you don't make a booking, no refund if not used. With Princess you get two years to book and if you don't use it you get the £75 back, it covers the whole deposit and the onboard credit is lower than Princess, P&O top out at £50 which these days is about $66.

Edited by CCFC

IMO the shares are a bit toppy right now. Certainly if you are a regular cruiser then they are a bit of a no brainer but with the FTSE flying along it may be wise to wait for a downturn then buy. Bound to be one at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit of a beginner's question here:

It seems in the UK you can buy Carnival plc shares (price currently £35 GBP) or Carnival Corp (price currently around $46 USD) (which works out about the same given an exchange rate of $1.30: £1

Is there any difference between the two? In the UK is it better to stick with Carnival plc?

Bit of a beginner's question here:

It seems in the UK you can buy Carnival plc shares (price currently £35 GBP) or Carnival Corp (price currently around $46 USD) (which works out about the same given an exchange rate of $1.30: £1

Is there any difference between the two? In the UK is it better to stick with Carnival plc?

Cannot answer the technical points here, but I would ask about brokerage fees.

In the US a low-cost brokerage like Etrade will charge you US$7.95 each time you buy shares (no limit on # of shares).

What fees are normal/common for this service in the UK?

Thank you Brian for telling us that P&O are accepting email attachments again - so much easier than having to fax details. We are about to send one off for our 10 night cruise in December - only £60 this time but anything is very welcome. We are off again in Jan for 16 nights so that will be another £150!