Carnival shares

lilaclabrador

Did P&O Princess offer OBC for shareholders?

I'm pretty sure they didn't as I can remember forwarding my first Carnival share certificate following the merger back in 2003 for OBC.

I just bought the P&O shares because I was fed up with rubbish returns from companies I had no empathy with. I could instead board a P&O ship and claim to own a link in its anchor chain!!!

Excellent news, highest I have known them, they were £18 when I bought mine, they then doubled within 2 years before dropping to £12, when I wish I had bought more (Oh for a crystal ball). They nearly reached £40 earlier in the year for a short while.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an item on our local news last evening describing the background to the fine. As described in the article it was pretty shocking really. Absolutely premeditated - to the extent of installing special pipes to allow the discharge of vast quantities of oil contaminated waste then replumbing to remove it once they'd been caught out by a whistle blower with photographic evidence. What's even worse it wasn't just the incident in the English Channel for which they were caught, but endemic within the group - across the fleet and and common practice apparently. The alternative would have been an expensive removal of the waste in Southampton for it to be taken away and treated.

I'm sure Carnival aren't the only culprits but the upshot is all Carnival ships including Cunard and P&O are to be monitored for the next 5 years. But there's bound to be huge financial implications to getting rid of the waste which they had been illegally dumping. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised about big industry these days but I do feel disappointed that the company could have deliberately gone to such lengths to circumvent the law and feel no compunction about contributing to widespread and frequent pollution.

There was an item on our local news last evening describing the background to the fine. As described in the article it was pretty shocking really. Absolutely premeditated - to the extent of installing special pipes to allow the discharge of vast quantities of oil contaminated waste then replumbing to remove it once they'd been caught out by a whistle blower with photographic evidence. What's even worse it wasn't just the incident in the English Channel for which they were caught, but endemic within the group - across the fleet and and common practice apparently. The alternative would have been an expensive removal of the waste in Southampton for it to be taken away and treated.

I'm sure Carnival aren't the only culprits but the upshot is all Carnival ships including Cunard and P&O are to be monitored for the next 5 years. But there's bound to be huge financial implications to getting rid of the waste which they had been illegally dumping. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised about big industry these days but I do feel disappointed that the company could have deliberately gone to such lengths to circumvent the law and feel no compunction about contributing to widespread and frequent pollution.

Well said :)

I must admit I find this rather distasteful also, and wish I was a better person and wouldn't travel with them. Sadly I'm not but I do hope this stops even if I have to pay more.