Carnival shares

lilaclabrador

Bit of a beginner's question here:

It seems in the UK you can buy Carnival plc shares (price currently £35 GBP) or Carnival Corp (price currently around $46 USD) (which works out about the same given an exchange rate of $1.30: £1

Is there any difference between the two? In the UK is it better to stick with Carnival plc?

There is no difference in reality. Carnival Corp is quoted on the New York stock exchange and Carnival Plc on the London exchange. You don't really want to be involved in dollar exchange rates so it's best to buy them on the London exchange where everything is in sterling including dividend payments.

Brian

We bought the UK listed shares as it is easier for tax reporting and it is now possible to purchase the UK listed shares under an ISA wrapper so the dividend is exempt from tax and there is no capital gains if you sell them.

We bought the UK listed shares as it is easier for tax reporting and it is now possible to purchase the UK listed shares under an ISA wrapper so the dividend is exempt from tax and there is no capital gains if you sell them.

Hi

How do we purchase specific shares under an ISA wrapper please? I didn't know you could do this...

At the moment we have inherited c.70 American Carnival ( Equinti) shares (converted from old P&O ones) so we're going to be adding to these to make it up to 100...

Hi

How do we purchase specific shares under an ISA wrapper please? I didn't know you could do this...

At the moment we have inherited c.70 American Carnival ( Equinti) shares (converted from old P&O ones) so we're going to be adding to these to make it up to 100...

You cannot transfer existing shares into an ISA. You would have to sell them and then buy back within an ISA if this is what you want to do. You should consider whether the losses you make by selling and buying back are worthwhile.

Bear in mind that every individual has a capital gains allowance of £11,100 annually.

Brian

You cannot transfer existing shares into an ISA. You would have to sell them and then buy back within an ISA if this is what you want to do. You should consider whether the losses you make by selling and buying back are worthwhile.

Bear in mind that every individual has a capital gains allowance of £11,100 annually.

Brian

We're not going to transfer those 70, just looking at how to purchase the extra 30 :)

Received approval today. So P&O are accepting email attachments once again.

Brian

Thank you, as Princess now refuse to accept emails, I was concerned P&O would be the same, after all,the staff responsible for applying the credit, probably sit on desks opposite each other.

I emailed P&O Tuesday evening with proof of ownership and had notification OBC had been applied this morning. Excellent service from P&O.

The address shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com only deals with P&O and Cunard.

Holland America have their own UK email address and accept email attachments - well they did last year when P&O weren't. Don't know about the other Carnival brands

Once they have a copy of your share certificate, no need to send copies with future requests as they have it on file. Just quote your share certificate number and cruise details.

It's been a good investment for me in that I've had over £3,000 in extra OBC and dividends.

Am I right in thinking if shares are bought through Infiniti you just have to send your share certificate number and cruise details?

I recall someone saying that P@O have access to those shares so you dont have to email proof.

Edited by 103brandy

Am I right in thinking if shares are bought through Infiniti you just have to send your share certificate number and cruise details?

I recall someone saying that P@O have access to those shares so you dont have to email proof.

This is what I have been doing for the last 12 years, with any Carnival brand we have cruised with

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Carnival Corporation has announced that it has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.35 per share, according to a released statement.

The company's board of directors approved a record date for the quarterly dividend of November 25, 2016, and a payment date of December 16, 2016.

Holders of Carnival Corporation common stock and Carnival plc ADSs will receive the dividend payable in U.S. dollars. The dividend for Carnival plc ordinary shares will be payable in U.S. dollars or sterling. In the absence of instructions or elections to the contrary, holders of Carnival plc ordinary shares will automatically receive the dividend in sterling.

Dividends payable in sterling will be converted from U.S. dollars at the exchange rate quoted by the Bank of England in London at 12 noon on December 1, 2016. Holders of Carnival plc ordinary shares wishing to receive their dividend in U.S. dollars or participate in the Carnival plc Dividend Reinvestment Plan must elect to do so by November 25, 2016.

Some months ago a poster on the Cunard board said he regarded shares as gambling. I had thought of explaining the difference but left it drop. Since then, disregarding the OBC Carnival shares have done very nicely thank you. They are a no brainier to anyone who sails on a Carnival line ship. Tuck them away and forget them.

DAVID

Buying a 100 shares was a bad thing for me to do. I should have bought a 1000!!!! I paid £17.45 per share about 9 years ago !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You paid that much!

Buying them when they were P&O Princess Cruises Plc shares would have been a lot cheaper.

You paid that much!

Buying them when they were P&O Princess Cruises Plc shares would have been a lot cheaper.

Did P&O Princess offer OBC for shareholders?

We bought ours the day after Costa Concordia sank in Jan 2012, quite by accident, and paid about £18.50 for them, down from about £25 the previous friday when I placed the order.

The comments about dividends got me checking the current situation and with the pound at its current level the quarterly dividend will be around £27, add on 2 lots of £150 for 2 14 night cruises a year brings the return to over £400pa or 22%, now that certainly is a worthwhile investment.