Free Gratuities

Packman1000

If you get a Princess promotion with "free gratuities", I assume you do not need to give your waiters and room stewards an additional tip (unless you wish to). However, my DW thinks we should tip them with cash at the end of the cruise. If we do that, and only give them, say an additional $20, I wonder if they think that is all they get from us. It's just awkward at the end of the cruise when they seem to be waiting for an envelope.

How do others handle this?

Whether the automatic gratuities are free or you pay them, any additional that you choose to give is totally up to you. I'm sure they will be aware that many guests are on automatic gratuities. No, they won't think that's all they are getting. As to hands out for tips at the end, I'm a jerk. Unless I got exceptional service, I've paid with the automatic gratuity.

It's funny for me to write that because I used to tip above the suggested the vast majority of the time. However, our last 2 room stewards were barely adequate. Specifically, I asked for the ice bucket to be filled daily. I got ice ONCE on a 20 night cruise. We had to ask for a new soap an a new lotion after leaving out the empty lotion on the counter for 3 days. There was a substitute who did our room one day--it was MUCH better than the normal person!

Dining servers were OK, but they did "anytime" dining on nights with late shore times or fireworks viewed from the ship. So despite having traditional dining, we had many nights of not using our servers. Again--they were paid with the automatic. I did give an additional tip to my favorite bar tender. He was always there with a smile, remembered the standard order, etc. Hope he got to keep the extra rather than having to kick it into the pool.

If you get a Princess promotion with "free gratuities", I assume you do not need to give your waiters and room stewards an additional tip (unless you wish to). However, my DW thinks we should tip them with cash at the end of the cruise. If we do that, and only give them, say an additional $20, I wonder if they think that is all they get from us. It's just awkward at the end of the cruise when they seem to be waiting for an envelope.

You are really paying their gratuities, it's just that they don't show up on your S&S bill. The gratuity is mingled in with your fare. You can give your cabin steward extra if you choose to do so. If we're on a long cruise I usually give the steward a $20 half between our cruise. On our up coming 2 cruises we have the free gratuity. Your cabin steward does not know that you have this offer so no need to feel awkward.

Since the auto-tip was introduced, the "envelopes" aren't really around any more! We always do auto-tip, and only occasionally do we tip extra at the end! In fact, this past spring on our cruise aboard the Island, I wanted DH to be subtle in "handshaking" our wonderful wait staff, Ian & assistant Roel, a tip at the end of our cruise so that others at our table were not uncomfortable. We did not see our tablemates offer an envelope or an extra anything. Nor did we notice the staff "waiting" for them! Not like the old days at all!

We caught the 3-in-1 for our Hawaii cruise and am looking forward to that tip charge disappearing on the room tab!

Happy Sailing!

Since the auto-tip was introduced, the "envelopes" aren't really around any more! We always do auto-tip, and only occasionally do we tip extra at the end! In fact, this past spring on our cruise aboard the Island, I wanted DH to be subtle in "handshaking" our wonderful wait staff, Ian & assistant Roel, a tip at the end of our cruise so that others at our table were not uncomfortable. We did not see our tablemates offer an envelope or an extra anything. Nor did we notice the staff "waiting" for them! Not like the old days at all!

We caught the 3-in-1 for our Hawaii cruise and am looking forward to that tip charge disappearing on the room tab!

Happy Sailing!

Every recent cruise we have been on they always put a box of the envelopes at the Passenger Services Desk....

The tips are covered for the stewards, waiters and some others. No need to provide extra. I have not found that stewards and waiters are 'waiting' for an envelope. But, if you provide extra cash it is always welcome. We normally provide extra to our cabin steward depending on the length of the cruise. We usually have ATD, and have different waiters each evening, so no extra tips there. If we dine in a specialty restaurant we normally provide an extra cash tip.

I have heard that the room steward knows whether the gratuities were paid. But, I don't believe there is any way for him/her to know if you paid them yourself or if they were part of a promotion. Either way they are paid.

I also always give extra to my room steward. I can be kind of messy and really appreciate anyone cleaning up after me. This last cruise I put the money in an envelope I got at the Customer Service Desk and left it on the desk in the cabin with the room steward's name on it. I didn't see him again, but he left me a handwritten "Thank you" and smiley face. I thought it was sweet.

Not seen anyone waiting for our envelope. They don't expect the extra tip, but greatly appreciates when given one.

It's really not free it's merely paid for by the cruise line. You do not need to tip again feeling guilty .

You are really paying their gratuities, it's just that they don't show up on your S&S bill. The gratuity is mingled in with your fare. You can give your cabin steward extra if you choose to do so. If we're on a long cruise I usually give the steward a $20 half between our cruise. On our up coming 2 cruises we have the free gratuity. Your cabin steward does not know that you have this offer so no need to feel awkward.

Happy Sailing!

On our last cruise with pre-paid gratuities, there were still the automatic daily gratuity charges on the folio. However, there was a credit at the beginning of the cruise equal to the total amount that was coming out.

On our last cruise with pre-paid gratuities, there were still the automatic daily gratuity charges on the folio. However, there was a credit at the beginning of the cruise equal to the total amount that was coming out.

On Emerald in March with the free gratuities promotion our cruise personalizer showed we had pre-paid the $90.65 each in gratuities and no mention of them appeared on our stateroom folio. Was your pre-paid grats a TA perk rather than a Princess sale?

It's just awkward at the end of the cruise when they seem to be waiting for an envelope.

I very seriously doubt you felt that vibe from any crew member on a Princess cruise anytime recently. Auto-gratuities have been around on Princess for fifteen years.

Edited by fishywood

You don't need to, but can if you want.

Same as with auto gratuities.