Deployment 2018-19 booking season begins

MADflyer

MAX of the Bridge of the Americas is 201 feet at high tide. Since Explorer of the Seas is 206, I would say that Explorer of the Seas could not do a full transit. :( The Bridge of the Americas is on the Pacific side of Panama so any ship could do a half transit to Gatun lake and back out into the Caribbean. :cool:

Perhaps it's more likely that Explorer would sail to Europe via Asia and the Suez Canal in the event that she is redeployed away from Australia and Alaska, rather than to the US East Coast via the Horn. The seasonality doesn't work for the Horn in any case, since she'd be leaving Australia at the end if the southern summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My source tells me Aug 24 2018 will be Shanghai to Sydney (22 nights). Then various itineraries of South Pacific, New Zealand, Tasmania and New Zealand, just Tasmania (most 11-13 nights), followed by Sydney to Shanghai (19 nights) on Mar 26 2019.

Is this for Ovation or Majestic?

Geoff Princess are sending Majestic Princess to Australia instead of China.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/16710-majestic-princess-to-australia-seasonally-as-china-capacity-cut.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princess exec quoted as saying Majestic will arrive in Sydney on Sep 15, 2018:

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article/ahoy-majestic-princess-heading-for-our-waters/

This port slot is held for Golden right now and roughly 18 additional slots are in Sydney ports calendar for her over the 2018/19 season, so it appears that Majestic will take over Golden's cruises from Sydney. No surprise - she's the older of the two larger ships currently operating from Sydney.

Golden now has numerous turnarounds in Melbourne port calendar from Oct to April of that season, so it looks like more cruises for the folks down south.

Slightly OT, sorry.

MAX of the Bridge of the Americas is 201 feet at high tide. Since Explorer of the Seas is 206, I would say that Explorer of the Seas could not do a full transit. :( The Bridge of the Americas is on the Pacific side of Panama so any ship could do a half transit to Gatun lake and back out into the Caribbean. :cool:

TG12,

While not trying sidetrack this thread, I'll briefly point out that the present maximum air draft for the BoA is 205'... so the Explorer is not that far out of bounds. Modifications (temp or permanent) could be made to eliminate the excess and/or an exemption sought for the transit. The Canal is reasonable in granting exemptions to the published limits. Tidal swings on the Pacific side are considerable, low tide adds another 21' to the clearance.

Having Royal make a reappearance in this part of the world would be great!

Here are a couple of links previously covering this topic...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51712915#post51712915

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2281468

I did some digging around today and they know nothing of the Explorer deployment here on board Radiance. They do think that some change is afoot with the Aus deployment given the ongong delays, but of course delays occur every year.

I do agree with others on this thread that a Quantum class ship is likely to replace Explorer in Alaska, Australia and on the Sydney Seattle TP, roughly at the time Q4 comes into service.

Hi.

Do you know when Q4 will be coming I to service and is it likely to do anything in Europe before home basing somewhere?

Hi.

Do you know when Q4 will be coming into service and is it likely to do anything in Europe (like Q3) before home basing somewhere?

Hi.

Do you know when Q4 will be coming into service and is it likely to do anything in Europe (like Q3) before home basing somewhere?

It depends on when in 2019 it will be finished. If before October, then it will likely have some sailings in Europe before moving on.

TG12,While not trying sidetrack this thread,

Panama Canal info here....

I found the specific thread which I think is the very best about the Panama Canal as explained by BillB48

The explanation and photos on posts #17. #18

and especially #22 (re BoA span height) I think is the ultimate explanation regarding Voyager/Freedom Class.

ChengP's comment right after is also interesting

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241152&highlight=radar

Panama Canal info here....

I found the specific thread which I think is the very best about the Panama Canal as explained by BillB48

The explanation and photos on posts #17. #18

and especially #22 (re BoA span height) I think is the ultimate explanation regarding Voyager/Freedom Class.

ChengP's comment right after is also interesting

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241152&highlight=radar

Did not realize it was that far back... thanks for finding it.

Princess is reportedly sending Royal Princess to LA (Mexico & Coastals) and Alaska for 2019. Now with NCL's new ship and Princess' largest class of ship on the west coast, maybe RCI will finally test the market again *Fingers Crossed* :D

Princess is reportedly sending Royal Princess to LA (Mexico & Coastals) and Alaska for 2019. Now with NCL's new ship and Princess' largest class of ship on the west coast, maybe RCI will finally test the market again *Fingers Crossed* :D

One can only hope :-)

All depends on the expenses. If they can make more profit elsewhere, they won't go.

Anyone know what ship will do Panama Canal?

We waited a few years hoping for a RCI ship to do the Panama Canal and ended up cruising on Celebrity Infinity. It was a repositioning from Miami to Valparaiso in Chile. Would have loved to go all the way around the Horn but it was just before Christmas, so we had to get back home. It was a good cruise, so check out Celebrity.

Doubtful, I'm afraid. There have been many opportunities since RCI left Los Angeles in 2011, but they have chosen to not return. :(

We were on the first West coast one from Long Beach. Didn't realise there wouldn't be anymore or we would have done it

Sent from my E5823 using Forums mobile app

Are you talking about RCI? What year, just curious. :)

Doubtful, I'm afraid. There have been many opportunities since RCI left Los Angeles in 2011, but they have chosen to not return. :(

Are you talking about RCI? What year, just curious. :)

The one you were on 2 years ago. You were lucky and stayed on. Wish now we had done it

Sent from my E5823 using Forums mobile app

Huh??? How do you know that? Could you maybe name any source for that information??