Buffet service

seapals2

This has probably been covered before but do all HAL ships have food served by staff in the buffet. On our last ship we thought there must be noro virus onboard but had not been informed as the only other time we got served by staff in the buffet on other cruise lines was when there was an outbreak of the virus.

I understand having the staff there may cut down on the spread of germs but found the long lines it caused were a real nuisance. Even salads were mixed to order with your choice of ingredients. The portions of the hot food were served small. Again can see this will cut down on waste but if you just wanted one item and a larger portion it was a bit like Oliver Twist all over again. 'More' .. !!!

Breakfast was the worst time and took ages. The area was quite narrow in front of the counters and was jammed with people trying to pass and those waiting in lines. After a couple of days we just gave the buffet a miss at lunch time. Preferring the outside deck area and the cooked to order pizza or burger choices. Yes we waited quite some time but in comfort at a table with a drink.

Then we could add a salad, the queue was separate for that inside and not as long. There were always pre packed sandwiches ... Not often seen before but guess it solved the waiting and cost effective for the cruise line. All too often having waited so long to get our lunch then it was watch your clock if you would like a dessert as shutters came down and food service was over.

It was all a bit too much of a reminder of school dinners for us.

I have to say this was not our experience on our recent 35 day cruise on the Rotterdam. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Lido buffet daily. Breakfast was never an issue but we are early risers and ate as soon as the buffet opened. No lines to speak of. I loved the salad bar at lunch. Occasionally there were one or two people ahead of me but at busy times there were two staff members serving. And, there are two salad bars. The hot meal rarely had a line and servers were very responsive when asked for a larger portion. We didn't try the pizza but the burgers and hot dogs were great. The only place I ever saw a long line was for a special menu served from a kiosk out near the pool. That was mostly on sea days. Often the desserts stayed out well into the afternoon, much to the detriment of my waistline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have breakfast in the Pinnacle -- why not try the main dining room if you aren't in a PS or SA, SB or SC? Same menus in both places -- lots of choices.

Lunch was horrible on our last cruise. The dining room was rarely opened. Pre-made sandwiches were terrible. We got there early and there were lines for salads and hot food items. We do not like hamburgers on cruises -- that is just us.

I find this system quite difficult when you want things on one plate from various stations and also if you want a larger potion of something I feel too self conscious to ask for it ...

I usually want a small portion of several items on one plate so I hand them my plate and ask them to put a small portion of what I want where there is space - they usually don't like to give just small portions. It'd be better if wanted a large portion, then I'd smile and ask for a large portion and tell them I really like it!! They love to hear we like the food. m--

I am not a LIdo fan and i think that has been clear in my posts.

Just the same on our 33 day cruise this April we did a lot of Lidos. Why? taco bar saved me as I destroyed their premade sandwiches and re made them.

The salad bar was great and I found they did listen when I said not much of that and more of that.

The market place does make for different stations but I honestly don't see a big difference between what was there before and "lining up" to make my salad.

In fact, the salad makers were lightening speed and the lineups were minimal on our Westerdam cruise. I could get a salad there in minutes ;

Experiences vary but service or wait times were not an issue on our Westerdam cruise in April.

I usually want a small portion of several items on one plate so I hand them my plate and ask them to put a small portion of what I want where there is space - they usually don't like to give just small portions. It'd be better if wanted a large portion, then I'd smile and ask for a large portion and tell them I really like it!! They love to hear we like the food. m--

Once the food has been plated and handed to the passenger, the plate should never cross the line again. I have seen many people eating off their plates while still in the line and wiping their noses and touching their faces. To then have them pass that plate across the line and have the crew add more food to it causes cross contamination and places the passengers at risk.

Once the food has been plated and handed to the passenger, the plate should never cross the line again. I have seen many people eating off their plates while still in the line and wiping their noses and touching their faces. To then have them pass that plate across the line and have the crew add more food to it causes cross contamination and places the passengers at risk.

Had never heard that before. Maybe I can find a large plate to use to put small plates on. m--

It defeats the purpose of sanitized serving by the crew

Have never had problem in Lido for breakfast or lunch. I actually love the fact that HAL staff plates the food. Previously sailed on Carnival and NCL had stomach problems every time-not Noro though. I blame it on everyone handling the serving utensils.. Have never been sick on HAL. All you do is ask for more if not enough. I actually often ask for small serving and sometimes they still give too much. Agree that there is a narrow section they should address by removing the few two top tables there. Without those area would be opened up a lot. Also, HAL offers full hot breakfast via room service unlike many other lines which have cut back to just continental breakfast and I really like that. Do agree that they need to extend lunch and dinner hours in Lido especially on port days when people returning from shore excursions can easily miss lunch especially. There is always the Dive-In and taco bar, but would be nice to have at least one side of the lido open until 3:00 or so. And we find lido pretty much closes down at 8 in evening which seems early to me. As far as lines go have never had problem on HAL as compared to the other lines I mentioned. Longest waits for cook to order eggs which is understandable since they have to cook them while you wait. Other than that maybe few people in line but that usually it. Of course I am sure at times there are more, but I haven't experienced that personally except on very rare occasions. All in all I am very pleased with Lido on HAL.

Jane

I think that slow line ups at the Lido are mostly due to unprepared passengers who are overwhelmed by the choices. We always read the menus that are posted outside and make our selections before entering the Lido, but, I don't see a lot of folks doing that.

Instead, many simply line up without knowing what is offered and what they want. The experience of being in a moving line, possibly chatting with others and having to make an instant decision when called upon from multiple choices leaves may unprepared. It slows down service.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will change. There are folks who are perfectly fine ordering from a menu in a restaurant who simply cannot make a choice at a buffet without first seeing how everything looks. It's one of the perks of human behaviour. :)

I think that slow line ups at the Lido are mostly due to unprepared passengers who are overwhelmed by the choices. We always read the menus that are posted outside and make our selections before entering the Lido, but, I don't see a lot of folks doing that.

Instead, many simply line up without knowing what is offered and what they want. The experience of being in a moving line, possibly chatting with others and having to make an instant decision when called upon from multiple choices leaves may unprepared. It slows down service.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will change. There are folks who are perfectly fine ordering from a menu in a restaurant who simply cannot make a choice at a buffet without first seeing how everything looks. It's one of the perks of human behaviour. :)

As usual, cbr663, you have hit the nail squarely on the head with your Posts above. Thanks again for your insights.

Smooth sailing ...

How are they handling the taco bar these days? That has always just been open for you to take what you want. (Except if there's code red, and then it's closed)

that's how the Taco Bar was when we were on Kathy - just help yourself. (Westerdam - April/May 2016)

I don't know if the Taco Bar continues to exist when the SLICE is added (the new Pizza Place) to the ships? One of our roll call members said that it wasn't there when they were on the Oosterdam?

Hi everyone

Our last was our first HAL cruise. I personally was quite surprised how fast things went at the buffets. We just never found it "very" crowded. Somehow I just figured people were eating somewhere else MDR, room service etc. So it would seem that it just depends on the make up of the passengers in determining how long the lines would be.

I found the variety pretty good, loved the sandwiches as a choice. At supper I often found the deserts at the buffets to offer a better selection. Anyways, my wife and I were very happy with what was offered as selections between the MDR and the buffets.

Just disembarked Maasdam, and we were surprised at the lack of lines in the Lido for breakfast. I often had omelets or eggs Benedict prepared to order and never had to wait. Never a problem getting a table by the window either.

Usually went to Dive In or Taco bar for lunch. Great poolside bar waiter service. In fact the service was super prompt in all the venues.

Wonderful cruise to Alaska!

As usual, cbr663, you have hit the nail squarely on the head with your Posts above. Thanks again for your insights.

Smooth sailing ...

Thank you so much. I understand that many people find it inconvenient trying to juggle multiple plates at the Lido. There really is a health and safety reason why you should never pass your plate back over the food line.

Smooth sailing to you also....

It's clear you are all very loyal HAL cruisers and like things just the way they are. That's fine ... It's just not what happens on other cruise lines unless there is a problem ... And no one normally enjoys being served because of the long queues it causes. We will be prepared when we join Eurodam and it will come as no surprise.

We will not have the jet lag after Christmas spent in Florida so may be we won't be confused by it all and Eurodam is a sister ship to the one we sailed so may feel more familiar.

Happy sailing ...

Everything was served to you on our recent Koningsdam cruise but the lines moved along. Servers with juice and coffee in the Lido meant you didn't have to balance your cups and plates. I agree with others that the Lido hours could be adjusted as should you return late afternoon from shore and have late dinner, there aren't many options for a little in-between snack. There was no taco bar:eek: at least not while in the fjords. We often found long lines at Exploration Cafe or NY Deli but that seemed more of a staffing issue.

Granted it was a bunch of years ago but last time on HAL when the Lido staff noticed my wife in her wheelchair someone immediately came to assist. She just told them what she wanted (sounds a lot like the new procedure) and they plated the items for her and carried it to the table. If the service is the same then since she does not touch anything I wonder if it would be an exception to crossing "the line" back and forth. Would save the assisting staff person from juggling multiple plates.

We were on the Koningsdam in April-May and were delighted not to have fellow passengers mauling the food on the buffet. While there were often a shortage of seats at breakfast, the food was excellent and lunch was never packed. As a nursing professional I also loved the hand washing station. Unfortunately while it was well used at the beginning of the cruise, by midpoint I think my family was the only ones using it. While inconvenient not to have trays, I have seen info that they are often not really clean. Hats off to HA for all they are doing to keep everyone healthy.