teens and booze

luckyinpa

NCL always checks the cards and the cards are marked if you are underage.

So most teens do the same at sea as they do on land and get someone else to get drinks.

Here's NCL's policy:

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Edited by kcwingwalker

I've been on 34 cruises and I've never seen and intoxicated person less than 18 years of age on a cruise. The only reason even the eighteen-year-olds I've seen or intoxicated was because they were given drinks by their 21 year old friends not by more mature adults.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

I've been on 34 cruises and I've never seen and intoxicated person less than 18 years of age on a cruise. The only reason even the eighteen-year-olds I've seen or intoxicated was because they were given drinks by their 21 year old friends not by more mature adults.

Or their parents signed the consent form for the 18 year olds to be able to order beer and wine. On our next cruise, my oldest will be 19 and 20 (one month from 21). I'll give them permission, but I'm not buying - they will reimburse me for every drink, which will curb it.

Are you saying that you HAVE seen 18 and 19 year-olds intoxicated?

And, how would you know that the age of the friends who might be slipping drinks to teenagers was never more than 21?

I would worry a lot less about your teenagers getting drunk and a lot more about pregnancy. Have a great story about a friend of a friend when we were kids who got a girl pregnant on board, until the baby was born Asian, both he and girl are caucasian. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by txagfan

Or their parents signed the consent form for the 18 year olds to be able to order beer and wine. On our next cruise, my oldest will be 19 and 20 (one month from 21). I'll give them permission, but I'm not buying - they will reimburse me for every drink, which will curb it.

You still have to be there when they buy and consume the drink. They can't just run around the ship on their own and buy drinks.

You still have to be there when they buy and consume the drink. They can't just run around the ship on their own and buy drinks.

Where is that written?

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

in my reading of this forum i've seen a few posts describing wasted teens on board. I'm not saying this is every cruise, just curious....so how do they get the booze. older friends?

So,,,, you read a lot of things on these forums that are total fabrications of people who like to hear themselves complain. We do about 6 cruises a year and can not remember any intoxicated under age passengers. Lots of intoxicated adults.

So,,,, you read a lot of things on these forums that are total fabrications of people who like to hear themselves complain. We do about 6 cruises a year and can not remember any intoxicated under age passengers. Lots of intoxicated adults.

Sadly there was an 18 year old that died on our CarnivalL Miracle NY cruise in 2013. On the last night when they returned everyone's alcohol he must have drank a bottle and died that night of alcohol poisoning. My daughter became friends with him during the cruise and was deeply affected.

You do not have to be with them to have them buy a beer ( Ciders are also in that category) many of the Caribbean islands. Mexico , Bermuda all have 18 yo drinking ages. and yes we have allowed our 18 and now 19 yo to drink on the ship ( with our consent of course with the form signed) I think if you have a responsible adult and yes I consider my 18 yo an adult (if he has to sign up for selective service , then yes he is an adult IMHO) then ok he may have a few to many Ciders cause but apart from partying with the Second City crew at Calico Jacks in Bermuda, a bit to much, he never repeated it because he didnt feel very good the next day LOL lets just say the hair of the dog bit him and he didnt repeat it - and when he is home? He is on the Fire Department so they cant drink in case they have a call!! I wish all kids could be as trustful, but if the parent has signed the form then so be it. and also at least on the Dawn and the Breakaway they did 9 Bar tenders and Security) check IDs for everyone that was out partying at night. I know this because I was told this from my kids

Once the onboard parent signs the form the teen's card is marked so YES, they can get beer or wine by themselves. Parent does NOT have to be present since parent has already signed the form giving permission.

Are you saying that you HAVE seen 18 and 19 year-olds intoxicated?

And, how would you know that the age of the friends who might be slipping drinks to teenagers was never more than 21?

I don't actually know if they were 18 or 19 in most cases but they certainly weren't young teens which is my point. The way the original posting appeared it sounded to me like they were saying there were drunk 14 year olds on the deck. I have personally seen young adults buy a beer for a friend and assumed it was because their friend was a little too young to purchase the beer on their own. It's by no means a widespread problem. I've seen a much larger number of intoxicated adults.

Edited by Jana60

in my reading of this forum i've seen a few posts describing wasted teens on board. I'm not saying this is every cruise, just curious....so how do they get the booze. older friends?

The under 18 teens get the booze from people who leave half full glasses sitting around the ship.

100% false.

It is not the 18 - 20 group you have to worry about. It is the unsupervised 13, 14, and 15-year olds running around drinking beverages the adults leave behind.

I really want to see that, just once. It is one of those CC stories I only read on here and never see in the real world.

Most teens I know are not so desperate for some stale, warm, watered down booze.

I haven't seen it on CC. I've seen it on the ship.

Most teens you know probably live in Germany, which is a whole different world when it comes to alcohol. But you are correct. MOST teens don't do this. No one said that most do. However, there are a small amount who do.

Edited by LrgPizza

I really want to see that, just once. It is one of those CC stories I only read on here and never see in the real world.

Most teens I know are not so desperate for some stale, warm, watered down booze.

I have witnessed it plenty of times. Go to Spice after 11pm. They are hanging out there and on the pool deck.