Mini-Bar

Jalex63

We just became four star mariners recently and I note that we now get a 50% discount on Mini-bar purchases. You know, we have never ever purchased anything from the mini-bar and so now I am wondering, how much do they charge for mini-bar alcohol purchases to begin with?:)

We just became four star mariners recently and I note that we now get a 50% discount on Mini-bar purchases. You know, we have never ever purchased anything from the mini-bar and so now I am wondering, how much do they charge for mini-bar alcohol purchases to begin with?:)

Here is the minibar menu that I scanned May 2016:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Minibar-Price-List.pdf

I also am a 4 star and just recently figured out that I should be using the minibar. Most of the drinks seem to be the same price as the HAL bars charge, so why not get them at half price? Especially good deals on beer and sodas IMO.

I also am a 4 star and just recently figured out that I should be using the minibar. Most of the drinks seem to be the same price as the HAL bars charge, so why not get them at half price? Especially good deals on beer and sodas IMO.

I have had the beverage steward stock my mini fridge with the small bottles of Woodbridge Merlot served in the Lido and at the Sea View Bar. Since I cruise solo, a whole bottle of wine in my cabin will often go bad before I can finish it. The Woodbridge is passable, and not a bad deal at $4 a pop.

So the charge to your account will be 50% of the prices quoted, except for 15% charge? Right!!! Does that include the pop and the water too?

I know it sounds like dumb questions, but please bare with me before I purchase a beverage card needlessly.

Edited by boards

I have had the beverage steward stock my mini fridge with the small bottles of Woodbridge Merlot served in the Lido and at the Sea View Bar. Since I cruise solo, a whole bottle of wine in my cabin will often go bad before I can finish it. The Woodbridge is passable, and not a bad deal at $4 a pop.

Great idea! I like the Woodbridge Melot. Sure alot better than the house and even other of the HAL reds.

THANKS!!

Edited by DaveOKC

So the charge to your account will be 50% of the prices quoted, except for 15% charge?
Right. The 15% is figured on the pre-discount price, so a bottle of wine marked $8 costs a 4-star $5.20. Sodas work the same way. Edited by catl331

Since we got 3 star we have used the mini bar and we ask the beverage staff who attends to our mini bar to stock particular things and remove the things we don't use. They will stock the soda our son enjoys and the beer my husband likes and replenish daily. They are very accommodating. :)

Edited by fatcat04

True. We know a beer drinker who requests that his minibar be emptied and filled with his beer of choice. At 3 stars, only happy hour pricing is better. At 4 stars, the minibar is an even better bet.

I recognize all of those words... :confused::confused: :D

Haha... Can't remember who referred to a bottle of wine as the perfect single serving. Thinking it was Hemingway.. sounds like Hemingway.

On our cruises, an open bottle of wine is a soon to be empty bottle of wine :D

I am assuming the 50% mini-bar discount only works if you have a mini-bar. Any other ways to take advantage of this benefit if you don't have one?

I had the exact same question as I am four star and sailing on zaandam which has no minibar....I have been told by other CC posters that even if you don't have the minibar frig that you cans still order beer to your room from steward just like you might order the water to be replenished and you will get the mariner discount. I hope this is correct....otherwise it seems that it would discriminate against mariners on ships with no mini fridge....

Any others know for sure?

If you like the brands that are in the mini bar -- then you are happy. We don't like the brands in there.

Also, if you get to know a certain bar tender, they tend to give you extra alcohol in your glass -- more than what you get in those tiny bottles.

If you like the brands that are in the mini bar -- then you are happy. We don't like the brands in there.

Also, if you get to know a certain bar tender, they tend to give you extra alcohol in your glass -- more than what you get in those tiny bottles.

I was really thinking of beer. wine and sodas.

I had the exact same question as I am four star and sailing on zaandam which has no minibar....I have been told by other CC posters that even if you don't have the minibar frig that you cans still order beer to your room from steward just like you might order the water to be replenished and you will get the mariner discount. I hope this is correct....otherwise it seems that it would discriminate against mariners on ships with no mini fridge....

Any others know for sure?

They do put soft drinks/beers, etc. On the counter for consumption and I believe they are treated the same as mini bar purchases.

The only thing is nothing will be cold??

If you are going to make full use of the discount for drinks, why not order the "fridge/mini bar" if your cabin does not have one. It used to be something like $2 per day. Not sure if the price has changed or not.

They do put soft drinks/beers, etc. On the counter for consumption and I believe they are treated the same as mini bar purchases.

The only thing is nothing will be cold??

If you are going to make full use of the discount for drinks, why not order the "fridge/mini bar" if your cabin does not have one. It used to be something like $2 per day. Not sure if the price has changed or not.

thanks i always bring a small collapsible cooler and steward puts beers on ice as those minifrig don't get all that cold.... and i like ice cold beers.

Haha... Can't remember who referred to a bottle of wine as the perfect single serving. Thinking it was Hemingway.. sounds like Hemingway.

On our cruises, an open bottle of wine is a soon to be empty bottle of wine :D

Unfortunately, there is a limit to how much wine one fairly small lady can imbibe without becoming a danger to herself and others. Hmmm... port day... a glass of wine (or two) with lunch, a glass (or two) at dinner, then Happy Hour in the Crow's Nest... sea day... a glass of wine (or two) with lunch, mid afternoon wine tasting, Sip and Savor at 5, glass (or two) at dinner, followed by Happy Hour, hope to make it back to my cabin without embarrassing myself!

Unfortunately, there is a limit to how much wine one fairly small lady can imbibe without becoming a danger to herself and others. Hmmm... port day... a glass of wine (or two) with lunch, a glass (or two) at dinner, then Happy Hour in the Crow's Nest... sea day... a glass of wine (or two) with lunch, mid afternoon wine tasting, Sip and Savor at 5, glass (or two) at dinner, followed by Happy Hour, hope to make it back to my cabin without embarrassing myself!

LOL... are you sure you aren't me? :D I resemble that last remark.

"Every season hath its pleasures;

Spring may boast her flowery prime,

Yet the vineyard's ruby treasures

Brighten Autumn's soberer time.

So Life's year begins and closes;

Days tho' shortening still can shine;

What tho' youth gave love and roses,

Age still leaves us friends and wine."

~Thomas Moore, from Spring And Autumn

Edited by fatcat04