Chops, Now 42 dollars

tonynypd

I agree. My last meal at our local Western Sizzlin was better than my last meal at Chops and much cheaper. I havent been impressed the last two times Ive been and I think its an insult to milk another 18-20 out of someone for the "something special" steak.

OTOH, I would probably pay 50.00 a person for Prime on Carnival Magic though.

I would agree. The steakhouse on the Dream class ships for Carnival is way better than chops. That cheesecake alone is almost worth the price of admission.

Edited by Lordnlkon

What Ruth Chris are you going to that you pay $35 for a full 3 course meal?? What are you eating chopped cube steak because you sure can't get a quality steak of any kind with 3 courses at Ruth Chris in Uptown Charlotte for $35! :confused:

Once a year we have Restaurant Week and restaurants offer 3 course fixed price meals. Ruth's Chris was one of several steakhouses featured this year. Price was $38pp. It's a great way to go to places like LG's, Morton's, Fleming's and other good restaurants for a reasonable price.

http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=283&m=81

What Ruth Chris are you going to that you pay $35 for a full 3 course meal?? What are you eating chopped cube steak because you sure can't get a quality steak of any kind with 3 courses at Ruth Chris in Uptown Charlotte for $35! :confused:

The steak I would order at Ruth's Chris is 53.00 alone I think they are kinda overrated though. I prefer Mortons or even Capital Grille. To me, Chops doesn't compare to any of these though other than maybe the ambiance but Chops is certainly nearing their prices if they keep this up.

Once a year we have Restaurant Week and restaurants offer 3 course fixed price meals. Ruth's Chris was one of several steakhouses featured this year. Price was $38pp. It's a great way to go to places like LG's, Morton's, Fleming's and other good restaurants for a reasonable price.

http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=283&m=81

Very nice. Do they limit what steak you can get? Sides come included in that price? thats a great deal if there isnt a lot of restrictions!

Very nice. Do they limit what steak you can get? Sides come included in that price? thats a great deal if there isnt a lot of restrictions!

They have a set menu you choose from with a choice of a steak or seafood entree, Sides/salad and dessert. Menu offerings can be different from year to year and city to city. They usually offer special pricing on a bottle of wine or wine flight.

Ruths-Chris-1.pdf

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

You're local and you didn't know? Sorry to hear that. Charlotte has a twice yearly Restaurant Week (January and July, I think) where many local restaurants offer a set menu for $30 or $35 pp. And both downtown and Southpark Ruth's Chris participate. Even better. The Charlotte Ruth's Chris does an annual anniversary deal where you can buy a gift card (only good at these locations, and 'maybe' in Charleston?) for about $50 but it's worth about $80 and you can use it during Restaurant Week. We do this every year.

Erika

Oh Ok! I understand now! During Restaurant Week! :cool:

The steak I would order at Ruth's Chris is 53.00 alone I think they are kinda overrated though. I prefer Mortons or even Capital Grille. To me, Chops doesn't compare to any of these though other than maybe the ambiance but Chops is certainly nearing their prices if they keep this up.

Yep! I agree but I prefer Sullivan's myself! :cool:

I often supply answers, but now have a question. If I buy the 4 meal specialty package, can my wife and I share it with another couple, or is the specialty pack limited to the individual?

Thanks for your help.

The dining package is per person. Limited to the person who purchased it.

And remember, this is *in addition to* the money you've already paid in your cruise fare for meals in free venues, a meal that is presumably going uneaten.

Exactly. We've paid to eat at Chops once, decided it wasn't worth it, and now only eat at one of the specialty restaurants when our TA gives us a free voucher, so it only costs us an extra tip.

And I'm not willing.

It's not worth it to us either. We have tried all the specialty restaurants and each time they have gotten worse, so we have no desire to pay when you can get a nice meal in the MDR. We aren't "foodies" and we don't go on cruises for the food....but as they say to each his own

Wow, that's a lot... even more for us as we are charged in US dollars and then converted to Canadian it is about $55.00 each right now. We have eaten in Chops and will not go back - wasn't worth it then and it doesn't appeal now. I realize many passengers love it and I'm glad we have so many choices in cruising today. :)

This has been an interesting thread. We are cruising on the Liberty in January 2017 so it's getting pretty close. After reading this thread, I ordered the "Three Night Dining Plan" for $75 per person (for two of us). We love Sabor and hopefully will be able to use this plan for two meals at Sabor. $25 per person per restaurant seems pretty reasonable to me.

Ironically, I might pay $42 for Giovanni's, but it still costs less. I didn't really like Chops that much the last couple of times we "gave it another try" and the cost is not prohibitive.

It is a nice experience, but not as nice as some land based steak places. I don't think it's fair to compare it to Ruth's Chris, since that place is soooo much better. I think you could compare it to something like Black Angus or Texas Roadhouse.

The steak in Giovanni's was better IMO.

Tom

Neither am I.

I think the quality is ship based, my chops experience on Brilliance, Liberty and Mariner (x3) were Ruth's Chris quality. On Allure, more like Keg.

Crossing my fingers that Liberty is up to snuff from 10 yrs ago.

And, man do I miss Portafino. I've never had a better Tiramisu, anywhere. And I lived in Italy!

Just sailed Oasis from Sept 3 to Sept 10. It was $42 per adult and $8 per child. It wound up being $100 for 4 of us and it was the best meal we had all week. (although my wife had 7 lobster tails on lobster night in the MDR because the waiter bet her that she couldn't beat the record he served of 6 at one sitting) Chops on Oasis had been better than Chops on other ships.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Edited by cmeverson

We tried Chops twice(just to make sure the first was no fluke), and were not impressed with what we got for the money. Now they want more?

We found Giovanni's a lot more enjoyable and and was $25(Jewel) this past April, now it's $29(Serenade last week). Sorry to see, but as posted above.....if they pay it, keep raising the price.......not for me though.