Three Weeks Until First Princess Cruise

jpcello

My sister and I are going on our first Princess cruise, leaving from NY up to NE and Canada. We cruise once a year and always have a good time. We're on the Regal in an accessible balcony cabin on the Caribe deck.

I've been reading these boards alot. I've seen people complain about the Regal, but having been on very large ships for our last three cruises (Oasis, Allure and Breakaway) I'm not that concerned about the size of Regal. Elevators will always be a problem, especially since stairs aren't an option for us. I'll take the stairs obviously if I'm alone but with my sister, we must take the elevator - she uses a mobility scooter and walks 24/7 with a cane. Seems like the food options are good - we're sticking with late seating for the MDR. Probably won't try any specialty restaurants. Otherwise reading the boards it sounds like the food is good, especially in the free venues outside the MDR. We always love a good buffet, so I'm looking forward to that. Already bought my coffee card :)

I haven't seen much on the site regarding entertainment.

We always do ship-sponsored excursions. With my sister's limited mobility it's just easier. This is our first trip with tender porters but one of the reasons I chose Princess were their tenders - much easier for people with limited mobility.

Sorry for the long post. If you've gotten this far, I appreciate any feedback from you seasoned Princess cruisers.

I'm just trying to set my expectations.

After several Oasis class saikings, the Regal is going to feel small to you! It did to us! Lol... It's very easy to navigate, the Atrium is beautiful and has all sorts of things happening all day and night, loads of live music all around the ship, and the decor is so classy and elegant - quite soothing when compared to Oasis, etc.. And the included food options are excellent. Princess's International Cafe blows the Cafe Promenade out of the water - much better selection of food and treats around the clock than CP on Oasis class, the hours in the pool deck grill and pizzeria are much better than Oasis class also...... Alfredo's for a nice sit down waiter served meal is wonderful - and no service charge. and Regal's buffet - simply wonderful. So much better than Windjammer, it's not even funny!! Much easier layout, foods are cooked in small batches so much fresher, it actually has plentiful seating including a lovely outdoor terrace, and themes each day..it's great!

I'm sure you'll love Regal, and Princess overall. Have a wonderful cruise!!

My daughter is mobility impaired. We learned something interesting about excursions on our August cruise.

If there is something that you are interested in but it says "high activity," go to the excursion desk and see if you can talk to a crew member who has done it. Often the entertainers go on excursions to evaluate them. They are not always as limited as the descriptions might imply. For instance, we wanted to do an excursion that involved seeing monkeys at the top of a mountain. We found out that it was listed as "strenuous" because there was a long stairway going up the mountain. BUT for $1, we could ride a tram up and down. The tram was not included in the excursion cost, but it took the activity level down to almost nothing--we could walk around as much or as little as we chose at the top.

On another excursion, we visited 3 sites. 2 were totally easy, the third involved a lot of walking and stairs. We knew in advance that the third site wouldn't be a possibility but we chose to book and enjoy the other two sites. And we actually found out that there was plenty to do and see at the bus parking area without doing the long, difficult walk with the guide at the third.

A little research can open up possibilities that might not be obvious.

Edited by moki'smommy

We have been on the Regal twice and we are looking forward to a cruise on the ship on October 27.

I think it is a very pretty ship. There are a number of things we like about the Regal.

The buffet is large and quite easy to negotiate. You can get specialty coffee at the pastry section of the buffet. No need to go to the specialty coffee spot in the Piazza ( the International Café) for freshly made coffee treats.

One thing we do miss on the Regal compared to other Princess ships,is the lack of a true Promenade deck encircling the ship.

My DH and I always enjoy a morning walk and those wide Promenade decks were great for that activity.

I saw that you and your sister have cruised on the Breakaway.

We were on the Breakaway last year,sailing to Bermuda. We are repeating the cruise tomorrow.

I have to say that I like the Regal Princess over the Breakaway.

The cabins on the Regal seem to have better storage ,the Piazza is open and beautiful ( not so smoky either), the activities and entertainment are more our style.

We found the Breakaway to be a bit more "busy" with the rope course,water slides

and the rock climbing wall.

However,the Breakaway does take us to one of our favorite places, Bermuda.

That is why we are sailing on the ship tomorrow.

I wish you and your sister a bon voyage! Welcome to Princess!

My sister and I are going on our first Princess cruise, leaving from NY up to NE and Canada. We cruise once a year and always have a good time. We're on the Regal in an accessible balcony cabin on the Caribe deck.

I've been reading these boards alot. I've seen people complain about the Regal, but having been on very large ships for our last three cruises (Oasis, Allure and Breakaway) I'm not that concerned about the size of Regal. Elevators will always be a problem, especially since stairs aren't an option for us. I'll take the stairs obviously if I'm alone but with my sister, we must take the elevator - she uses a mobility scooter and walks 24/7 with a cane. Seems like the food options are good - we're sticking with late seating for the MDR. Probably won't try any specialty restaurants. Otherwise reading the boards it sounds like the food is good, especially in the free venues outside the MDR. We always love a good buffet, so I'm looking forward to that. Already bought my coffee card :)

We always do ship-sponsored excursions. With my sister's limited mobility it's just easier. This is our first trip with tender porters but one of the reasons I chose Princess were their tenders - much easier for people with limited mobility.

Sorry for the long post. If you've gotten this far, I appreciate any feedback from you seasoned Princess cruisers.

Great ship and the mid ship elevators are the most crowded.

Enjoy your cruise!

-take a deep breath of the sea air.

-be thankful that you are able to cruise with your family.

-make memories at sea.

-on and post a review when you get back.

-Andrew :)

Regal is a nice ship. There are nightly shows at the Princess Theater. There are entertainers at the Piazza in the afternoon. There is also pianist/singer at Crooners by the atrium at night. There are also other activities in other venues.

We hope you and your sister will enjoy the cruise. Will also be on Regal in 2 weeks.

My daughter is mobility impaired. We learned something interesting about excursions on our August cruise.

If there is something that you are interested in but it says "high activity' date='" go to the excursion desk and see if you can talk to a crew member who has done it. Often the entertainers go on excursions to evaluate them. They are not always as limited as the descriptions might imply. For instance, we wanted to do an excursion that involved seeing monkeys at the top of a mountain. We found out that it was listed as "strenuous" because there was a long stairway going up the mountain. BUT for $1, we could ride a tram up and down. The tram was not included in the excursion cost, but it took the activity level down to almost nothing--we could walk around as much or as little as we chose at the top.

On another excursion, we visited 3 sites. 2 were totally easy, the third involved a lot of walking and stairs. We knew in advance that the third site wouldn't be a possibility but we chose to book and enjoy the other two sites. And we actually found out that there was plenty to do and see at the bus parking area without doing the long, difficult walk with the guide at the third.

A little research can open up possibilities that might not be obvious.[/quote']

Great info!

If there is something that you are interested in but it says "high activity' date='" go to the excursion desk and see if you can talk to a crew member who has done it. Often the entertainers go on excursions to evaluate them. They are not always as limited as the descriptions might imply. For instance, we wanted to do an excursion that involved seeing monkeys at the top of a mountain. We found out that it was listed as "strenuous" because there was a long stairway going up the mountain. BUT for $1, we could ride a tram up and down. The tram was not included in the excursion cost, but it took the activity level down to almost nothing--we could walk around as much or as little as we chose at the top.

A little research can open up possibilities that might not be obvious.[/quote']

Thanks - two of the excursions we're on are already accessible. The other two I suspect will be fine. She can get on and off a bus and even if it's not a motor coach, the scooter is small enough that I can carry it on board. When booking the excursions, I always pay attention to the activity level -- not just for her ;)

Thanks everyone. I was worried about it being too big, but now after reading everyone's posts, I'm getting excited now that I made the right choice.

One of the things we absolutely hated on Breakaway was that there were never any quiet (yet public) places to sit and read. On RCL there was always the Viking Crown Lounge (top of the ship, large bar that was always quiet during the day yet open). Great views and you could sit and read for hours.

Last year when we were on Breakaway there was absolutely no where to go. Even the library was unusable because it was right next to the atrium and guest services - so loud it was horrible. We realized that we need a few more comforts (we're 59 & 63) so rope lines and water slides don't really matter to us.

Any quiet places on Regal with views?

Some Information:

For traditional dining late seating your DR will almost certainly be the Allergo DR on deck 6 aft. The location of this DR causes some confusion to 1st time Princess passengers. From your cabin there are two ways to get there. Take the center elevators down to DECK 7, not deck 6. Scooter yourselves all the way to the aft elevators. Then take the elevator down one flight to deck 6. Or, you can take any hallway, on any deck from 7 to 16 and then take the aft elevators down to deck 6. You can not access the Allegro DR from anywhere mid ship on decks five or six.

Some other information, be sure to try Alfredo's. Waiter served pizza, calzone, salads, antipasto, desserts open all day and evening. The International Cafe also has nice selections. If you enjoy tea you can get it by the pot at the international cafe. There will be a more formal tea served almost everyday around 3:30 in one of the DR's. On a few days there is a special Royal tea served in the Piazza. There is a charge for the Royal tea.

Some Information:

For traditional dining late seating your DR will almost certainly be the Allergo DR on deck 6 aft. The location of this DR causes some confusion to 1st time Princess passengers. From your cabin there are two ways to get there. Take the center elevators down to DECK 7, not deck 6. Scooter yourselves all the way to the aft elevators. Then take the elevator down one flight to deck 6. Or, you can take any hallway, on any deck from 7 to 16 and then take the aft elevators down to deck 6. You can not access the Allegro DR from anywhere mid ship on decks five or six.

Thanks. Our cabin, unfortunately, is right near the forward elevators. When I look at the deck plan it shows aft elevators on deck 10 (our deck). Can we walk/scoot to those aft elevators from 10 and go directly to 6?

Thanks. Our cabin, unfortunately, is right near the forward elevators. When I look at the deck plan it shows aft elevators on deck 10 (our deck). Can we walk/scoot to those aft elevators from 10 and go directly to 6?

Yes you can. Just walk aft from your cabin along the corridor to the aft elevators, then it's a straight shot down to the dining room. Enjoy. Regal is a beautiful ship..

Yes you can. Just walk aft from your cabin along the corridor to the aft elevators, then it's a straight shot down to the dining room. Enjoy. Regal is a beautiful ship..

Excellent. Thank you! I'm starting to get excited (plus work sucks right now).

20 days to vacation (21 to cruise) but who's counting - I AM!

After several Oasis class saikings, the Regal is going to feel small to you! It did to us! Lol... It's very easy to navigate, the Atrium is beautiful and has all sorts of things happening all day and night, loads of live music all around the ship, and the decor is so classy and elegant - quite soothing when compared to Oasis, etc.. And the included food options are excellent. Princess's International Cafe blows the Cafe Promenade out of the water - much better selection of food and treats around the clock than CP on Oasis class, the hours in the pool deck grill and pizzeria are much better than Oasis class also...... Alfredo's for a nice sit down waiter served meal is wonderful - and no service charge. and Regal's buffet - simply wonderful. So much better than Windjammer, it's not even funny!! Much easier layout, foods are cooked in small batches so much fresher, it actually has plentiful seating including a lovely outdoor terrace, and themes each day..it's great!

I'm sure you'll love Regal, and Princess overall. Have a wonderful cruise!!

This post says a lot. Regal has much better buffet than Oasis (and food changes day to day and from morning to evening. Grill near pool has great burgers/fries/brats/chicken/fries and free - seldom crowded. Pizza also available out there for many hours of day. Your elevator will even go to the adult area and the Sanctuary (if you want to book personal loungers for the whole week).

Gelato is available on lowest level of atrium (use coffee card).

No reservations needed or available for shows, although you might want to arrive 30 minutes prior for the wheelchair seats at the back.

You WILL have some elevator issues, especially after shows and the muster drill. Always crowded then, so head down to the drill 30 minutes prior (your muster station is probably in the Princess Theater on deck 7.

Shows are probably not quite the quality of what you have seen on Oasis, but not bad if you haven't seen them. No full-length musicals. If "On the Bayou" is presented, go to that one (has been adapted to normal stage on Island, but may not yet be available on Regal). Lots of bars with music if you are interested in that.

This post says a lot. Regal has much better buffet than Oasis (and food changes day to day and from morning to evening. Grill near pool has great burgers/fries/brats/chicken/fries and free - seldom crowded. Pizza also available out there for many hours of day. Your elevator will even go to the adult area and the Sanctuary (if you want to book personal loungers for the whole week).

Gelato is available on lowest level of atrium (use coffee card).

No reservations needed or available for shows, although you might want to arrive 30 minutes prior for the wheelchair seats at the back.

You WILL have some elevator issues, especially after shows and the muster drill. Always crowded then, so head down to the drill 30 minutes prior (your muster station is probably in the Princess Theater on deck 7.

Shows are probably not quite the quality of what you have seen on Oasis, but not bad if you haven't seen them. No full-length musicals. If "On the Bayou" is presented, go to that one (has been adapted to normal stage on Island, but may not yet be available on Regal). Lots of bars with music if you are interested in that.

Thanks LewW. Because we must take the elevators, I've become used to inconsiderate cruisers - it comes with the territory. I do become a bulldog when it comes to elevators :)

No idea what the sanctuary is, but would something like that be worthwhile on a cruise going north to Canada? I assume it will be too cold to do anything pool related (I'm assuming that's what the sanctuary is).

Thanks LewW. Because we must take the elevators, I've become used to inconsiderate cruisers - it comes with the territory. I do become a bulldog when it comes to elevators :)

No idea what the sanctuary is, but would something like that be worthwhile on a cruise going north to Canada? I assume it will be too cold to do anything pool related (I'm assuming that's what the sanctuary is).

The Sanctuary is a private adults only area in all Princess ships, no pool at all (except small splash pool on Coral, I think). It includes padded loungers, lounge service with drinks and food, snacks, afternoon tea, and is quite tranquil. On most ships, it's all the way forward and is a lovely serene area. You can reserve your specific lounger for half day, day or entire sailing. It's $20 per half day, $40 per day and $30 per day if for entire sailing. Some love it, others arent toi enamored (me). To each their own, it's a good option for many. Whether you'd enjoy it on a Canadian sailing depends on weather, etc. Can be s nice place to bundle up and read with beautiful forward veiws...

On Royal class, there's also a larger adults only pool forward, just behind the Sanctuary area called The Retreat with bar, pool, loungers and cabanas for rent. It's a great area, although it can often be quite windy...

Enjoy.

Edited by reedprincess