Crown and Anchor points question

mattg43

Wife and I just started cruising this past February and both have a whole 4 points. Next month, we have a family room for ourselves and our 3 boys (15, 13, 10) for a 7 night trip.

How will the points work? Will their points get divided and applied to our account or will they get their own accounts and each of us get 7 points?

Edited by mattg43

Wife and I just started cruising this past February and both have a whole 4 points. Next month, we have a family room for ourselves and our 3 boys for a 7 night trip.

How will the points work? Will their points get divided and applied to our account or will they get their own accounts and each of us get 7 points?

Each cruiser gets their own points and get/have their own C&A member number. So, each will get 7, including the kids.

Edited by BND

Wife and I just started cruising this past February and both have a whole 4 points. Next month, we have a family room for ourselves and our 3 boys for a 7 night trip.

Everyone gets 7 points. You can link the kids to your account and they will have the same number of points as you.

Bob beat me to it!

Edited by debitoo

You can call C&A and enroll your children in the loyalty program, and then their points will be added to each account. You are paying 5 fares, so there are 5 "sets of points" to be added. Does that make sense? :)

EDITED: WOW.... all madly typing at the same time!! Bwahahaha!!!!!

Edited by Langley Cruisers

You can call C&A and enroll your children in the loyalty program, and then their points will be added to each account. You are paying 5 fares, so there are 5 "sets of points" to be added. Does that make sense? :)

EDITED: WOW.... all madly typing at the same time!! Bwahahaha!!!!!

I guess it's the easy questions that get the quick responses.....:D

Thanks for the fast responses - even though I had hoped for the opposite answer.

Since the parents are obviously (in almost all cases) paying for the trip, I had hoped family vacations would get parents up the ladder quicker. I guess it just gives the kids a head start towards higher rewards when they start paying their own way as adults.

Everyone gets 7 points. You can link the kids to your account and they will have the same number of points as you.

Bob beat me to it!

So once they become C&A members, and linked to mine, they will have 11 points after next month? Do those 4 points from our previous trip stay with them when they become adults and the accounts are no longer linked?

(I am assuming that once adults, the points earned while a minor stay with them.)

So once they become C&A members, and linked to mine, they will have 11 points after next month? Do those 4 points from our previous trip stay with them when they become adults and the accounts are no longer linked?

(I am assuming that once adults, the points earned while a minor stay with them.)

Yes, they keep the points. Once they are 18, to advance to the next C&A level, they need to "earn" their own points to achieve their next level.

Edit: And yes, they will have 11 points.

Edited by debitoo

Yes, they keep the points. Once they are 18, to advance to the next C&A level, they need to "earn" their own points to achieve their next level.

I guess the points for trips that we leave them home are a consolation prize for being left at home.

"Well son, you won't be coming on this trip with us, but at least you get the points like you did!" Kind of like, "Let's not and say we did." haha

Actually, I'm pretty sure the 11 points thing is not true since the kids were not on the first cruise. Once they turn 18, the kids will only have points for the cruises they were on. They will retain whatever status the parents had but not their parent's points. If this is the only cruise the kids ever go on and their parents go on to reach Diamond, the kids will be Diamond with 7 points when they turn 18.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the 11 points thing is not true since the kids were not on the first cruise. Once they turn 18, the kids will only have points for the cruises they were on. They will retain whatever status the parents had but not their parent's points. If this is the only cruise the kids ever go on and their parents go on to reach Diamond, the kids will be Diamond with 7 points when they turn 18.

The above is the correct answer.

Yep. My kids both made diamond with us (prior to turning 18) but now have lower points associated with their accounts (after turning 18). Both have since cruised enough to be diamond in their own right but continue to have less points than we do.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the fast responses - even though I had hoped for the opposite answer.

Since the parents are obviously (in almost all cases) paying for the trip, I had hoped family vacations would get parents up the ladder quicker. I guess it just gives the kids a head start towards higher rewards when they start paying their own way as adults.

It would be nice for some (married parents specifically), but imagine how it would work for people who are not married. Your reasoning is assuming that the parents should get the points because they are paying, but there are a lot of scenarios where adults are paying for other adults, or appear to be, or even adults who are paying for other people's children, or parents who sail together with their children, but aren't married, or adults who sail with a child who only belongs to one of them; how would those points get split up?

For example: Generally, for ease of payment, one person will put the whole bill on their credit card, even though the other person or people may pay them back in cash. Using your reasoning, only one of those adults should get all the points, even though in reality they only paid for themselves.

Your scenario only works for married people with children, and you're assuming that both married people (or parents) would get the points, even though in reality it is likely that only one of you technically paid (meaning you used one credit card or debit card that had only one of your names on it, in which case, shouldn't just one of you get the points?) You're making the assumption that only married people should get the benefits of sharing points, maybe because they share bank accounts I guess? There are non-married people who share bank accounts too, and/or share children, and sometimes those shared children don't biologically belong to both adults. How do you split those points? You're logic is closed minded in thinking all families look like yours, or that only families who look like yours should get extra benefits.

Another example: Lots of grandparents pay for other family members (including adult children), but in your scenario those people wouldn't get any extra points even though they are paying for 5 or 10 extra people. It would also make non-parents pretty mad since oftentimes families get a big discount on the kids (3rd and 4th sail cheaper or free) and yet would be getting double or triple points.

I can see how the idea would excite you, but the logic makes no sense if you really think about it.

I guess I went on a tangent there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Yep. My kids both made diamond with us (prior to turning 18) but now have lower points associated with their accounts (after turning 18). Both have since cruised enough to be diamond in their own right but continue to have less points than we do.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Yes. The same is true with points shared with spouses. You will have the same status, but someone has to actually have sailed the correct number of days to to change status. For example, one of the parents might be 1 night short of a status change but kids might be 14 nights short. If the parent goes on a 3 night cruise, all status will change. If the child goes on a 3 night cruise with another family, there would be no status change because the child only shares the status, not the point total.

Wife and I just started cruising this past February and both have a whole 4 points. Next month, we have a family room for ourselves and our 3 boys (15, 13, 10) for a 7 night trip.

Everyone should have their own account and accrue their own points. The children will have the same level as their parents until they are 18, and from there, they will earn the ;levels on their own.

It would be nice for some (married parents specifically), but imagine how it would work for people who are not married. Your reasoning is assuming that the parents should get the points because they are paying, but there are a lot of scenarios where adults are paying for other adults, or appear to be, or even adults who are paying for other people's children, or parents who sail together with their children, but aren't married, or adults who sail with a child who only belongs to one of them; how would those points get split up?

For example: Generally, for ease of payment, one person will put the whole bill on their credit card, even though the other person or people may pay them back in cash. Using your reasoning, only one of those adults should get all the points, even though in reality they only paid for themselves.

Your scenario only works for married people with children, and you're assuming that both married people (or parents) would get the points, even though in reality it is likely that only one of you technically paid (meaning you used one credit card or debit card that had only one of your names on it, in which case, shouldn't just one of you get the points?) You're making the assumption that only married people should get the benefits of sharing points, maybe because they share bank accounts I guess? There are non-married people who share bank accounts too, and/or share children, and sometimes those shared children don't biologically belong to both adults. How do you split those points? You're logic is closed minded in thinking all families look like yours, or that only families who look like yours should get extra benefits.

Another example: Lots of grandparents pay for other family members (including adult children), but in your scenario those people wouldn't get any extra points even though they are paying for 5 or 10 extra people. It would also make non-parents pretty mad since oftentimes families get a big discount on the kids (3rd and 4th sail cheaper or free) and yet would be getting double or triple points.

I can see how the idea would excite you, but the logic makes no sense if you really think about it.

I guess I went on a tangent there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Points have nothing to do with how much money someone spends or who pays. If you pay for a cruise and for one reason or another you don't go on the cruise you don't get points. Inside cabin pays same points as a balcony. Money does not equal points.

No. Status and points are two different things. Points are earned by an individual based on actual nights sailed. Status can be higher based on being linked to someone in the same household with a higher status.

It is possible( and common) for children to be Diamonds based on their parents' status but have very few to no points until they start sailing themselves. The kids will only have 7 points. You will have 11.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Points have nothing to do with how much money someone spends or who pays. If you pay for a cruise and for one reason or another you don't go on the cruise you don't get points. Inside cabin pays same points as a balcony. Money does not equal points.

Actually it does. (But I agree that the person paying for others does not get their points)

2 points per night for staying in a suite.

1 extra point per night for cruising solo and therefore paying double fare.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Actually it does. (But I agree that the person paying for others does not get their points)

2 points per night for staying in a suite.

1 extra point per night for cruising solo and therefore paying double fare.

True double points for suites but junior suite is same points as owners suite or crown loft etc.