Switching Passengers at Check In

Annefran

Hi all,

Hoping someone can answer this question. My friend and I each have a JS booked for a cruise next April. My friend has two other friends that would like to go with us. What they want to do is book one of the friends in each of our cabins for now. Then on boarding day when we all check in together, switch me into my friend's cabin and move her roommate into my cabin. Supposedly these women have done it before with their parents. This would avoid someone having the wrong seapass card etc. I'm not comfortable doing this. I sent RCI an email to inquire if they allow this situation too. Has anyone ever done this before? Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Annefran

Hi all,

Hoping someone can answer this question. My friend and I each have a JS booked for a cruise next April. My friend has two other friends that would like to go with us. What they want to do is book one of the friends in each of our cabins for now. Then on boarding day when we all check in together, switch me into my friend's cabin and move her roommate into my cabin. Supposedly these women have done it before with their parents. This would avoid someone having the wrong seapass card etc. I'm not comfortable doing this. I sent RCI an email to inquire if they allow this situation too. Has anyone ever done this before? Thanks so much!

Go to guest relations once you board and get an extra key for each cabin and then just switch people. Two people will have to carry their original sea pass and the extra key to their "new" cabin as the original sea pass has their charging privileges.

Who is paying for what, and how old is everyone? Who is booked in the rooms right now?

Right now I'm booked alone and my friend is booked alone. We are going to add one lady to each cabin and we are all over 18.

You generally would not do this at check-in but at guest services once onboard.

Would they do that switch passengers between two cabins?

Go to guest relations once you board and get an extra key for each cabin and then just switch people. Two people will have to carry their original sea pass and the extra key to their "new" cabin as the original sea pass has their charging privileges.

I know people do that but that's what I'm trying to avoid. I want everyone to be in the correct cabin with their correct key. Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask why not just book the way you plan to go? Someone I know that is going though a divorce was told to make sure that by 3 days before cruise to call and make sure thier legal name was on documents. I would be weary of trying to change at port.

Make sure each passenger has their own on-board account when you set up your setsail pass (very important). When you board go to guest services and tell them you are changing cabins. They will give new seapass cards. There is no reason for extra keys.

We just did this in Alaska. We booked it that way to get our C&A discount on both cabins.

Anne, has previously mentioned once your all board, just go to Guest Relations and ask for extra keys and everyone sleep where they want to between the two cabins. You will have to keep your original Sea Pass Card for your purchases and muster check in.

I understand Gay but to me that creates more issues than I want or need.

Can I ask why not just book the way you plan to go? Someone I know that is going though a divorce was told to make sure that by 3 days before cruise to call and make sure thier legal name was on documents. I would be weary of trying to change at port.

Thanks, we got a great price when we booked over a year ago and if I give up my cabin to move to my friend's cabin, the new people will have to pay the new increased price. They are trying to avoid that and I get it. But I feel this isn't worth the hassle and will tell my friend no.

Thanks everyone!

I understand Gay but to me that creates more issues than I want or need.

Thanks, we got a great price when we booked over a year ago and if I give up my cabin to move to my friend's cabin, the new people will have to pay the new increased price. They are trying to avoid that and I get it. But I feel this isn't worth the hassle and will tell my friend no.

Thanks everyone!

That sounds like the right move. If you do end up trying to add a person to each cabin, I would be really careful that they don't try to reprice the entire cabin at the going rate.

That sounds like the right move. If you do end up trying to add a person to each cabin, I would be really careful that they don't try to reprice the entire cabin at the going rate.

That was on my mind too. This just sounds like a huge issue I don't need. Thanks so much for all your replies.

Guys, it's not a big deal. Link both reservations together, ie contact Royal or your TA. Then once on board, go to guest services and have the passengers changed. I've done it twice before and it was no big deal. We just let them know that we were all in the same party and wanted to switch rooms.

Easy peasy.

Edited by csnarpy

Anne, the only problem I am seeing here, is since you and your friend now have your cabins, you can add a person to each room but the original booking needs to remain or move your friend now into your room or you hers and let the other two ladies occupy the other room.

csnarpy, I have never tried this but your suggestion sounds easy to do. The porblem I mentions and was posted earlier, you run the risk of repricing and Anne wants to avoid that. Anne let us know how it works out for you and everyone.

Gay

Edited by Desert Cruizers

That was on my mind too. This just sounds like a huge issue I don't need. Thanks so much for all your replies.

One more thing. They will try to reprice if you are only paying the 150% single supplement.

Good Luck.

Guys, it's not a big deal. Link both reservations together, ie contact Royal or your TA. Then once on board, go to guest services and have the passengers changed. I've done it twice before and it was no big deal. We just let them know that we were all in the same party and wanted to switch rooms.

Easy peasy.

I guess it just sounds scary. RCI doesn't typically apply customer service with the same even handedness. Plus Guest Services frequently has rookies that don't understand or have never done the switch.

When we did it in Alaska, GS agent barely spoke English and looked totally confused by our request. I waved to a supervisor and replacement keys were done in 2 minutes. Original table numbers and our C&A status. No extra keys.

Just because there is another bed in the cabin does not mean they will even let you add another passenger. If the ship is pretty full the lifeboat capacity may be maxed out for your cabin/muster station. Other cabins may have 3, 4 or more and used up the slots.

This is not even considering all the pricing issues getting them signed up.

That being said, if you get all 4 bodies on the ship, there was never a problem for us just juggling cabin assignments at GS. Only issue I can see is if you are trying to put two under 21 in a cabin together with no responsible parent/adult on board. RCI will not book a room unless one is either 21 or 25 (I can't recall) so you could hit that wall...

It is not that big of a deal families do it all the time, extra keys are no big deal and just use a different credit card for each person and you are all set don't even need to do anything other than the keys and I would wait a little bit as on move in/move out day I am sure things are hectic.

I agree that it's easy. DH and I are both Diamond, our young adult sons are not. We booked our cabins (two neighborhood balconies) as one parent, one son so both cabins got the Diamond discount. Once on board, we went to guest services and swapped me and one son. Ours was easier, since it's all one paid by one account, but each person has their own folio for tracking purchases. Should be not too tough to do for OP 's.

Edited by EinDog

I know people do that but that's what I'm trying to avoid. I want everyone to be in the correct cabin with their correct key. Thanks for the reply.

So how about you just call a RCCL reservations agent and have them do the switch?

So how about you just call a RCCL reservations agent and have them do the switch?

The problem with that is that one of the orIginal cabins would be repriced at current rates which is what they want to avoid.

Changes need to be done after check in to avoid this.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We done this a few times to provide friends with our C&A or Canadian residency pricing. In fact RCI booking agents will recommend doing this if two or more cabins are booked by a group who have vastly different C&A status or different residency between members if that provide cost benefits..

We also never had a problem switching between cabins to get spouses back together at guest services once onboard. Those who changed cabins were only issued one card for both entry for their new cabin and for their onboard account charges. As mentioned previously each passenger must set up their own onboard account when doing the online check in or at the actual check in.

There is still plenty of availability for the OP's April Navigator cruise so being at the ship's capacity isn't a problem.

OP should be getting a substantial saving by sharing the JS with her friend instead of paying the solo pricing, likely at 200%, for her cabin. It would also be a nice gesture to help her friend's friend get the great pricing they were able to get. :D

Edited by robtulipe