X's New Advert To Air Tonight....

Bo1953

She even said the following; “Will some people reject what I’m saying? Yes,” she continued. “Do I care? I do not." That is just ignorance..

Remember what happened to the stock price of Target when they decided to become political. Celebrity shareholders may hold a different opinion of her after her blatant ignorance.

Chick-fil-a is not a political belief. It comes from a religious belief. They never discriminated against gays. The Sunday(which they are usually closed) during the Pulse shootings, they opened up and started serving free meals to injured, and to the people waiting in line to give blood.

Nothing to do with Pulse. I was referring to their very public, very political, very well funded, very vocal opposition to equal marriage - they poured millions into political campaigns trying to prevent it from becoming legal (politics and religion often being bed fellows)

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1703770

Anyway, I don't want this to descend into a debate about chick-fil-a I just named them as a company I'd avoid based on their political stances.

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

Agree

This CEO has been interviewed -- just google Celebrity no borders and the CEO's name.

I googled and found a website beginning with an S and her new campaign is not only intentionally timed to coincide with the debates but hints that her regular customers would be aligned with her branding.

No, this Elite (hate that word) cruiser belongs in the other basket. [emoji3]

I cruise to escape and relax. I'm offended.

There are other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are correct. Her attitude by this statement, share her feelings for us. Lisa said; “Will some people reject what I’m saying? Yes,” she continued. “Do I care? I do not."

Her mistake is that at least 50% will resent how she has orchestrated the ad, and she is paying for it with cruisers money. I think her parent company is not against walls, and put up a wall in Labadee to keep out the citizens native to Labadee for our safety. Sometimes safety overrides utopia.

She needs to worry about the 50%+ having a negative thought in the back of their mind about Celebrity. H

Since the CEO doesn't care if we reject her branding border less world view, she won't care if she loses some cruisers.

Even in the forums, these new ads and Lisa's attitude has added to the divisiveness -- has anyone noticed?

I've enjoyed my cruises with Celebrity but not THIS Celebrity.

Nothing to do with Pulse. I was referring to their very public, very political, very well funded, very vocal opposition to equal marriage - they poured millions into political campaigns trying to prevent it from becoming legal (politics and religion often being bed fellows)

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1703770

Anyway, I don't want this to descend into a debate about chick-fil-a I just named them as a company I'd avoid based on their political stances.

Your summary is appropriate and applies to us all, and many try to avoid a company based on their political stances, and Celebrity is a company. H

You are correct. Her attitude by this statement, share her feelings for us. Lisa said; “Will some people reject what I’m saying? Yes,” she continued. “Do I care? I do not."

Her mistake is that at least 50% will resent how she has orchestrated the ad, and she is paying for it with cruisers money. I think her parent company is not against walls, and put up a wall in Labadee to keep out the citizens native to Labadee for our safety. Sometimes safety overrides utopia.

She needs to worry about the 50%+ having a negative thought in the back of their mind about Celebrity. H

But it's not 50%...

50% of Americans, maybe. But of those 50% most won't travel outside the USA, most won't take cruises.

Then take into account the rest of the world population.

Yes, 50% of Americans might dislike the commercial. But that's very different to saying 50% of the audience will dislike it. And very different again from saying that 50% of cruisers around the world will dislike it.

Maybe Trump voting Americans aren't their target audience. Chances are there are more anti-Trump people around the world than there are Trump supporters in the USA. It's basic numbers. I'm sure Celebrity have done the maths on this and it's a calculated risk.

I hope so anyway lol.

I agree. Sail beyond boarders is a fine idea, but they should leave out any political remarks.

I would not mind it so much if it was sail beyond "boarders", but borders is a whole other "cattle" of fish.

Seriously, we are not to be political here on CC. So there isnt anything else I am allowed to say.

I saw the new commercial on Facebook. I have not read all six pages of comments yet (will do that at home tonight). I have only taken two Celebrity cruises so far and there were passengers from all over the world. It was challenging to keep our US politics out of the conversation and keep our views to ourselves. (I found that both candidates aroused a measure of mockery.). That being said I have chosen to enjoy this new commercial and ignore any political undercurrents as I think that it could be advertising suicide. (PS - I have spent the last 39 years in the advertising industry.)

Celebrity is a company that makes its money from travel. Does anyone really expect them to say "Isolate yourselves and build walls"?

Thicker skin.... get one. :rolleyes:

The only isolation in the cruise industry or travel in general is the Cuban restrictions set up by this country.

So as far as WALLS and TRAVEL go, where are these walls? Celebrity is a company that deals in TRAVEL. We can travel anywhere we want (EVEN CUBA) so why this big push against IMAGINARY walls.

It is strictly political and Celebrity has the right to do or say anything they want just as we have the right to express our views as well.

Happy sailing.

bosco

It does bother me that X cares so little for my loyalty that they would risk alienating me with this sort of political grandstanding. They must feel very strongly that "their" candidate must win.

Obviously, I'm not alone in this thinking. My first thought was that 50% of the American folks on this board be of a like mind but after some thought on it, I would opine that it is quite likely that the demographic that frequent this board would result in well over 50%.

If getting 100 million impressions is X's motivation, this could have been done without choosing sides. This being said, X obviously has another motivation. Sad.

I have never believed that this board represents the majority of cruisers.

another interview with Lisa on her views. Not opinions..her actual words which is always best to read/hear:

https://skift.com/2016/09/26/celebrity-cruises-wades-into-political-waters-with-its-new-ad-campaign/

Here's a preview:

...“It’s in response to the rhetoric around the world,” Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, president and CEO of Celebrity Cruises, told Skift. She named the Brexit vote, the rise of hate crimes in the UK, and the plight of refugees in France as examples.

“If people want to choose [to view] this statement as a political statement, I can’t control that,” Lutoff-Perlo said. She said she has thought about whether some potential passengers might be turned off by the spot, but she hasn’t worried about the possibility.

“I believe anybody that truly looks at this and says, ‘We’re not going to sail on Celebrity again,’ they’re probably not sailing on Celebrity,” she said. “I hope I get more people than I lose.

Nice she is including the UK, France and the refugees in her marketing plans, not just the forgetable US

Edited by teltrainer
duplicate paragraph in post

another interview with Lisa on her views. Not opinions..her actual words which is always best to read/hear:

https://skift.com/2016/09/26/celebrity-cruises-wades-into-political-waters-with-its-new-ad-campaign/

Here's a preview:

...“It’s in response to the rhetoric around the world,” Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, president and CEO of Celebrity Cruises, told Skift. She named the Brexit vote, the rise of hate crimes in the UK, and the plight of refugees in France as examples.

“If people want to choose [to view] this statement as a political statement, I can’t control that,” Lutoff-Perlo said. She said she has thought about whether some potential passengers might be turned off by the spot, but she hasn’t worried about the possibility.

“I believe anybody that truly looks at this and says, ‘We’re not going to sail on Celebrity again,’ they’re probably not sailing on Celebrity,” she said. “I hope I get more people than I lose.

Nice she is including the UK, France and the refugees in her marketing plans, not just the forgetable US

It isn't so much the ad, but her imperious, arrogant & condescending attitude that has turned off many people. Hope the stockholders take her to task. Change needed at the top!

Good luck getting her "brave new world" cruisers to spend, and tip as generously as Americans do as they fill the vacancies on her ships,. And hope the cruisers without walls fully enjoy the reduced modern luxury experiences she has introduced!

Edited by hcat

But it's not 50%...

50% of Americans, maybe. But of those 50% most won't travel outside the USA, most won't take cruises.

Then take into account the rest of the world population.

Yes, 50% of Americans might dislike the commercial. But that's very different to saying 50% of the audience will dislike it. And very different again from saying that 50% of cruisers around the world will dislike it.

Maybe Trump voting Americans aren't their target audience. Chances are there are more anti-Trump people around the world than there are Trump supporters in the USA. It's basic numbers. I'm sure Celebrity have done the maths on this and it's a calculated risk.

I hope so anyway lol.

Bingo!

I disagree with this also. As a shareholder, I would think you might be a bit concerned about your investment. What I question is the wisdom of playing politics with a public company. When one is representing a myriad of shareholders, one should be careful to not let personal views prevail.

I absolutely disagree. If you always fail to take a stance or make a meaningful statement, which risks alienation someone, then you have nothing but milk-toast to offer.

However, this quote from the CEO

"People care more about brands that have a purpose than brands that just do something."

really irks me, because it always far better to actually "do" something than just to aspire to some idea.

This was followed by "Celebrity Cruises wants to stop talking the same way as all the other cruise lines -- about how many perks we offer when you book a cruise -- " .

However, she must remember that value is always a consideration and treatment above the rest is part of the value proposition. Otherwise, they are just like every other cruise line. Their customer base doesn't need to be sold on the idea of travel...they already are. Their customers want more than just transportation from one place to another.

It isn't so much the ad, but her imperious, arrogant & condescending attitude that has turned off many people. Hope the stockholders take her to task. Change needed at the top!

Good luck getting her "brave new world" cruisers to spend, and tip as generously as Americans do as they fill the vacancies on her ships,. And hope the cruisers without walls fully enjoy the reduced modern luxury experiences she has introduced!

Hillary cannot even get her Millenials to vote let alone pay for a cruise. Last Laugh ;-)

I absolutely disagree. If you always fail to take a stance or make a meaningful statement, which risks alienation someone, then you have nothing but milk-toast to offer.

However, this quote from the CEO

"People care more about brands that have a purpose than brands that just do something."

really irks me, because it always far better to actually "do" something than just to aspire to some idea.

This was followed by "Celebrity Cruises wants to stop talking the same way as all the other cruise lines -- about how many perks we offer when you book a cruise -- " .

However, she must remember that value is always a consideration and treatment above the rest is part of the value proposition. Otherwise, they are just like every other cruise line. Their customer base doesn't need to be sold on the idea of travel...they already are. Their customers want more than just transportation from one place to another.

There are a lot of ways to have a purpose and accomplish a mission without being blatantly political. She is clueless.

I didn't have time to read all of the replies to the OP and I rarely post unless I do that. However, this topic makes me think of Mark Twain:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

What a wonderful message of inclusiveness and breaking down walls instead of building them.

Yes, the ad is overtly political. The hashtag is #debates so lets not kid ourselves.

Bravo to Celebrity for being fierce and proud to stand up to the current destructive discourse and focusing on bringing people together instead of tearing them apart.

This company's got me in for life.

Imperious & condescending +1

I have never sailed Celebrity. I have seen the ads, looked at pricing, sailing destinations, and reviewed demographics. I have never wanted to go because of #1 overall cost and traditional age.

I am for the first time going on a Celebrity cruise in 2 months. After seeing this AD I know I have chosen a good company. The AD speaks to me about discovering new experiences, inclusiveness, and a world that can be shared by ALL.

WOW! As a younger cruiser I hope other young cruisers see that a cruise vacation can change the way you travel.

Edited by frenchcanrican