Princess Credit Card Enhancements

Host Jazzbeau

The problem is that some reports indicate you have to have a single Princess charge of $4k to get the 2% rebate. Other charges get 1 - 1.5% depending on the size of each charge.

Based on this most recent lengthy discussion with Barclay, each redemption value (1%-2%) is based on a single Princess purchase & not by combining multiple Princess purchases.

However the wording of the offer indicated it was cumulative purchases.

We all agree that Barclay does not have the program implemented correctly yet.

However the wording of the offer indicated it was cumulative purchases.

We all agree that Barclay does not have the program implemented correctly yet.

Could you direct me to where in their literature it states that it's cumulative purchases? It's late & I could have overlooked it.

Another conflicting statement is the letter says we get double points for World's Leading Cruise Lines (AKA other CCL cruise lines) purchases; the Princess Reward Rules states we only get double points for Princess cruises & one point per dollar on all other purchases.

The term for the original SNL cast comes to mind when describing Barclay's poorly implemented rollout of their new rules...Not Ready for Primetime! :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Could you direct me to where in their literature it states that it's cumulative purchases? It's late & I could have overlooked it.

Another conflicting statement is the letter says we get double points for World's Leading Cruise Lines (AKA other CCL cruise lines) purchases; the Princess Reward Rules states we only get double points for Princess cruises & one point per dollar on all other purchases.

The term for the original SNL cast comes to mind when describing Barclay's poorly implemented rollout of their new rules...Not Ready for Primetime! :eek:

The promo flyer divides into 3 steps. Earn, choose, redeem. The wording under "earn" is indeed Princess Cruises purchases (plural). The "redeem" page, number 1 is singular (cruise,; not cruiseS), and Number 3 continues with the singular "cruise" verbiage. It continues further referring to your "purchase" amount (no s). There are other confusing references, but this is how it was explained to me.

Need to have a legal team to figure it out.

The promo flyer divides into 3 steps. Earn, choose, redeem. The wording under "earn" is indeed Princess Cruises purchases (plural). The "redeem" page, number 1 is singular (cruise,; not cruiseS), and Number 3 continues with the singular "cruise" verbiage. It continues further referring to your "purchase" amount (no s). There are other confusing references, but this is how it was explained to me.

Need to have a legal team to figure it out.

Maybe Barclay is using Princess management to implement these changes because they too often create things that are confusing & contradictory. :rolleyes:

When their initial mailed notification was received some of us spent a lot of time on hold while seeking answers to their contradictory statements. They had no answers & now over 6 weeks later still have no definitive answers nor do they have a functioning website to redeem points for statement credits. They've been aware of these problems yet still implemented the changes...very poor customer service by Barclay. :(

Tomorrow it'll be a week since the new rules were implemented & their website still doesn't show that I have any eligible Princess purchases. I made such a purchase a month ago so their system still hasn't been fixed.

Has anyone been able to redeem points for a chargecard statement credit?

Tomorrow it'll be a week since the new rules were implemented & their website still doesn't show that I have any eligible Princess purchases. I made such a purchase a month ago so their system still hasn't been fixed.

Has anyone been able to redeem points for a chargecard statement credit?

I should have a small charge (for Princess BVE) showing up from June 23 -- but the display on the Barclay website only goes back to the August statement. There was supposed to be a 180 day lookback. Luckily I wasn't planning to redeem for this small amount.

I just noticed a thread on the HAL forum that Barclay has a similar card for HAL (with slightly better terms than their Princess card), and the new improved deal was already working properly on Oct. 10:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2421943

Maybe Barclay is using Princess management to implement these changes because they too often create things that are confusing & contradictory. :rolleyes:

When their initial mailed notification was received some of us spent a lot of time on hold while seeking answers to their contradictory statements. They had no answers & now over 6 weeks later still have no definitive answers nor do they have a functioning website to redeem points for statement credits. They've been aware of these problems yet still implemented the changes...very poor customer service by Barclay. :(

Frank;

Basicly I just want to know if the redemption levels and how you redeem the points change. I'm confused regarding all the comments on this thread.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

For three days I have been trying to get an answer from Barclays as to why the only transactions listed for redeeming points for credit card statement credit are for two air travel transactions and nothing else. One of those is from 130 days ago. In the last 180 days I have made over a dozen purchase from Princess varying from $200 to nearly $11,000.

The response I got to my initial question was to list those Princess purchases. I did that even though I would think they could look them up themselves.

The response I then got was some semi-illiterate crap about redeeming miles that had no relation to redeeming points or why my Princess purchases were not listed. I then responded explaining that they had not answered my original question but instead gave me some bull about redeeming miles. They responded that they were sorry I had not had a satisfactory experience and went on to explain how to redeem points for statement credit. They still did not say why my Princess purchases did not appear. I responded and again listed the transaction that should be available for redeeming points on.

Tomorrow I will see if they will give me more run-around or answer the damn question. I swear that it seems I am talking to a politician.

For three days I have been trying to get an answer from Barclays as to why the only transactions listed for redeeming points for credit card statement credit are for two air travel transactions and nothing else. One of those is from 130 days ago. In the last 180 days I have made over a dozen purchase from Princess varying from $200 to nearly $11,000.

The response I got to my initial question was to list those Princess purchases. I did that even though I would think they could look them up themselves.

The response I then got was some semi-illiterate crap about redeeming miles that had no relation to redeeming points or why my Princess purchases were not listed. I then responded explaining that they had not answered my original question but instead gave me some bull about redeeming miles. They responded that they were sorry I had not had a satisfactory experience and went on to explain how to redeem points for statement credit. They still did not say why my Princess purchases did not appear. I responded and again listed the transaction that should be available for redeeming points on.

Tomorrow I will see if they will give me more run-around or answer the damn question. I swear that it seems I am talking to a politician.

I had a similar experience, whereby Barclays was telling me my recent Princess purchases were not eligible for the new enhanced rewards statement credits. The reasoning they gave me was that the Princess purchases were not coded correctly and that "Barclaycard is not responsible for incorrect merchant codes". Finally I was able to get through to someone by explaining that my Princess purchases resulted in double rewards points when they posted to my account so Barclaycard needs to check/review my transactions again.

It was at this point I was told that my issue was being forwarded to the appropriate department for investigation. I was assigned a case number and told to expect 7-10 days for completion. Surely by now they know there is a problem with the new rewards system and hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Well, it is tomorrow and here is the response I received:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your Princess Rewards Visa Signature Card. We can certainly address your concern regarding the transactions on your account.

We have forwarded your concern to the appropriate area for further review. Your case ID is 3026487. All casework is typically completed within 7-10 business days; however, please be advised that investigation can take up to 30 days to complete depending on the complexity of the situation. Once reviewed, we will make the necessary adjustments, if applicable.

Furthermore, as stated on the previous communication, you may redeem your points for statement credits toward travel purchases of $50 or more made in the last 180 days on Princess Cruise Lines cruises, Holland America Line Cruises, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, The Cunard Line, The Yachts of Seabourn, P&O Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia, Ibero, and Aida or for airfare.

In line with this, please be informed that from May 20, 2016 going backward, all the eligible transactions are no longer be eligible for redemption as they are past the 180 days timeframe.

We understand that this in an urgent matter on your part, and rest assured that we will exert our utmost effort to conclude investigation as soon as possible. We ask for your patience while we work towards the best possible solution regarding your concern.

We highly value your sentiments as we would like to assure that we will be able to provide the best service to our customers. Please know that we did not intend to cause you any inconvenience. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message. "

Sincerely,

Customer Care

Thanks to those who've dedicated so much time to this problem & have posted their verbal & written communication with Barclay about this snafu with the implementation of the their rewards rules.

With Barclay listing very few "eligible" Princess purchases, this isn't an isolated problem but it's a systemwide failure by Barclay. Requiring individual lengthy investigations for each mistake isn't the best way to fix what appears to be a problem with their new system's setup.

Instead of correcting their system's problem of not listing eligible purchases they're requiring customers to initiate corrective action which is terrible customer service. :(

As posted, I've also received double points for my Princess final payment made last month & to tell customers it's not an eligible purchase because it was coded incorrectly is ridiculous. Customers are not responsible for adding the codes and instead if incorrect codes are truly the problem, that's an issue that Barclay needs to correct with Princess. It shouldn't require us to waste so much time getting what we're entitled to receive...it's the Barclay Princess chargecard and Barclay & Princess need to communicate to correct their problem...not their customers! :rolleyes:

I'm skeptical if incorrect coding is the only problem but instead it's a poorly updated rewards redemption system that doesn't acknowledge most Princess purchases.

It's been nearly 2 months since Barclay mailed confusing & contradictory notices about their new rewards rules. Some of us immediately contacted them for clarification but they had no answers. An agent reassured me that Barclay would call me with answers which never happened. So they're fully aware of the problems & haven't provided definitive answers yet while blaming it on coding.

If this is what to expect when redeeming points with their new system, I'll go through the hassle to correct their problem of not showing my eligible Princess purchase to get my statement credit & then will cancel my account. There are other companies who want my business & they can provide similar or even better rewards without me having to deal with their snafu. :eek:

Frank;

Basicly I just want to know if the redemption levels and how you redeem the points change. I'm confused regarding all the comments on this thread.....:confused::confused:

Bob

Bob, you're not alone and even Barclay has sent us confusing & contradictory information. :confused:

I'll attempt to give a short CliffNotes summary of the new rewards as I understand it. I am currently only interested in redeeming reward points for a statement credit so that's the type of a reward I'm seeking.

Statement reward levels now vary between 1%-2% (as I recall previously were 1%-1.25%) but are now dependent upon a single Princess purchase's amount made within 180 days of redemption. Barclay isn't completely clear about whether it's based on a single purchase which is how I interpret it but some feel it's based on multiple Princess purchases within 180 days prior to redeeming points...confusing! :confused:

Another questionable procedure is whether we can redeem rewards for our total number of points or incrementally which again hasn't been clearly defined. For example, can I only redeem 10,000 points or 12,000 points? Barclay agents said it'd be 12,000 points but the new rules indicate it's earned in $50 reward increments so only 10,000 points can be redeemed in a single transaction...confusing! :confused:

Here's the Barclay statement from their website when signed into my account:

Redeeming for a statement credit toward a Princess Cruise Lines transaction offers the best redemption value. The greater the purchase amount, the greater the potential rewards value.

Princess purchase amount ($50 or greater) within last 180 days = Redemption points value

$50 to $499.99 = 1%

$500 -$2,000.99 = 1.25%

$2,001-$4,000.99 = 1.5%

$4,001+ = 2.0%

In a previous post about redeeming for OBC, I researched the redemption value to discover it was still 1%-1.25%. I am not interested in other types of rewards so don't know if any have changed.

For me, my recent Princess charge makes me eligible for a 1.5% statement credit reward & for example 10,000 points now results in a $150 statement credit vs $100 previously because my purchase was between $2,001-$4,000.99.

As you can read in the other posts, Barclay is claiming that our Princess purchases are not eligible due to a coding problem which requires investigating each purchase instead of correcting their faulty new reward rules system.

This isn't exactly a CliffNotes post but hopefully what was previously clear as mud for you might be more like dirty water that's slightly clearer. Barclay is doing a terrible job implementing their new system & isn't correcting their problem & requiring each customer to initiate an investigation to get what we're entitled to receive...bad! :(

Boy! After seeing all of this, I'm glad that I just use my card that pays me 3% back on my travel costs and credits it to my cash back! That's $210 cash back on the cost of our upcoming Panama cruise with no problems at all! :p

Tom

And as soon as I'm done battling Barclay to get a statement credit for my Princess purchase, I'm cancelling & using another card that provides benefits equal to or better without having to work so hard to receive them. :(

I called Barclay Princess Rewards card but like others they were unable to correct the problem where my Princess purchase isn't displayed as an eligible Princess purchase.

I explained to a Barclay manager it's a recurring problem with other customers & thus it apparently is an issue with their system since the new rules were implemented. She was reporting this problem to their IT section and for now could only generate an inquiry for my problem. I received a case number & was told they hoped to have a solution to my problem within 10 days...both are the same things said to other customers who called with this eligibility problem.

Her answer to the question about whether Princess purchases are combined to determine our statement reward level (1%=2%) was that it's based on a single purchase amount.

Hi, I was in contact with Barkley in regards to using some of my credits that I wish to use in January. I was told that Princess will be taking over the issuance of the credit for all Princess purchases.

Barkley transferred me to a Princess customer service representative. The representative was not aware of this Princess credit card program. She has made several inquiries and found that her department was indeed taking over this program. She got me in contact with a higher level supervisory representative.

I spoke to this supervisor on Wednesday. She is aware of the program but did not have the specifics of the process that would be implemented. She is supposed to get back to me once she has the information to go forward.

PLEASE help me here. I called Barclay yesterday and spoke to a rep for an hour and am so confused. I have 60,000 points. Last time I cruised was Nov 2015. I never redeemed my points because I was told that I could just keep letting it accrue and take it off when I need it. I just, this week, booked a cruise for 2018. I figured we would just keep using the card and by the time we pay for the cruise (Jan 2018) and get double points for paying the cruise with the CC ($4,000x2=$8,000) we should have a nice chunk taken off our cruise. In the past I took a cruise and then called the credit card company and it was taken off the next statement. And it went in increments: 10,000 points=$250 off. My 60,000 points would have equaled $750. Now, the rep told me that it's $100 for every $1000 points. In other words, my 60,000 points are only equal to $600. Then she told me that it was ONLY for trips taken within past 180 days. So, right after I cruise in spring 2018 I can call and get money off next statement. She told me my points don't expire. Not sure I believe her after reading some of these threads. So, I'm nervous with some of my points that I earned a couple of years ago. PLEASE explain this to me.. I originally called them in Sept and they told me they were new to it to and to wait and call back in Nov. Kinks should be worked out. Well, I'm stumped and frustrated. Thank you so much.

Hi,

There seem to be a lot of problems. I paid for a short Princess cruise (in full) a couple of weeks ago. This does not show up as an "eligible purchase." However, payments that I have made to Holland America and Cunard during the past 180 days are listed as eligible purchases.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Has anyone had any luck with this Princess Visa card bonus problem? I have just put a cruise final payment on my card and was wanting to use my accumulated points to get the bonus and was hoping the system is working correctly now.

What type of bonus are you seeking? I eventually received my statement credit with the assistance of a Barclay account manager. :)

In my situation, I called Barclay to talk to an account manager & it took several days to correct the no eligible purchase within 180 days problem. I had such a purchase which qualifed me for a 1.5% reward statement credit & I was able to redeem all of my points which previously was not an option. That credit against my cruise's final payment reduced the net price of my cruise. Although first all of my points disappeared & my eligible purchase was not displayed but the next day my chargecard statement credit was issued for all of my reward points.

The new rules resulted in receiving an increased redemption rate (1.5% vs 1% previously) and being able to redeem all of my points & not incrementally. A Barclay manager corrected my problem but I don't have any additional points to attempt to make another reward to discover if their online site is fully functional. If your eligible Princess purchase is shown online in your account, you may be able to redeem points for a reward.

I didn't attempt to redeem points for anything else (including OBC which would have been only 1% for me) but if you're not in a hurry like me, then you might want to consider waiting until their online system is corrected instead of spending a lot of time talking to Barclay.

The new rules were more beneficial for me & hopefully they will be better for everyone else & eventually without all of the problems I had to get my reward points redeemed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

According to the info I received today. "Remember you have 180s days to the date of purchase to redeem. "

One of the problems I have with Barclays. My points have come from different cruises going back to 2012, which was my first cruise using the Princess card. I just used 3/4 of the points I have on our last cruise. I tried to get information about what points will expire first, in order to use them. They only could tell me how many points I have. Since they have gone back to 60 months expiration, are the points you have now safe for 5 years?