Tropical Storm Nicole

marnie2005

Here we go again! Leaving Sunday the 9th, on the Breakaway out of NYC. Looks like Matthew may not cause any issues but what about Nicole:mad: the BReakaway is in Bermuda now and schedule to leave Friday afternoon to head back to NYC. Wondering if the ship will be able to get back to NYC by Saturday night/ Sunday am... Perhaps Nicole will fizzle out by Friday , any thoughts.. Not able to get a good graph/image for Nicole to see what is expected.

Based on Nicole's current position and projected path - I don't think she will cause an issue on the Breakaway coming back to NYC. However.....it may have an effect on our cruise destination (I'm on the same one) if she keeps heading towards Bermuda.....Fingers crossed!

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Tropical-Storm-Nicole?map=5day

Nicole is still a tropical storm, below hurricane strength and not forecasted to impact on NYC at this moment with its track. BA will get back to NYC just time on Sunday morning without rushing ... too early to worry about where BA might sail to next week as alternate, if conditions worsen toward end of week.

I wouldn't count on ship sailing south with Matthew spining in circles & the unknown damages for Nassau & PC at this moment ... Canada is an option.

Safety first and just keeping our thoughts & prayers for all those in Matthew's path of destruction.

I am leaving from Boston on this Friday. Not ideal, but we my be cruising with Nicole... NCL says they have the safety of the crew and passengers at the top of their minds... Lets hope that is true and it's not money!

I am leaving from Boston on this Friday. Not ideal, but we my be cruising with Nicole... NCL says they have the safety of the crew and passengers at the top of their minds... Lets hope that is true and it's not money!

Check the forecast for bermuda it will be fine we're going on the same cruise.

Edited by guy420man

Bermuda is now in the T minus 24 to 36 hours countdown with Nicole, a Tropical Storm warning and Hurricane watch has been posted by local weather service yesterday evening.

Just checking the NCL Dawn's live webcam, they are still at Royal Naval Dockyard and no indication/live post or update from NCL or anyone onboard that she is planning to sail and leave early, to get out of the approaching storm's way.

Wave outside the coral reefs today will be 10' to 15' today, increasing to 20' tomorrow (no ships there, thankfully) and 18' to 25' seas for Thursday, with hurricane force wind gust of 85+ kts. Storm is forecasted to come within 25 to 30 km of the islands, still 300 km south, etc. A complete evacuation of the marina has been underway - Port Bermuda Webcam has the news.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20161010/nicole-on-track-to-hit-bermuda

Safe voyage for those onboard the Dawn now as it is going to be a rough ride, let's see when she is going to hightail out of there and make a high speed run to get ahead of the storm - ship can go as fast as 24 to 25 knots with a good tailwind, rocking & rolling (however). NCL is not going to get cursed for staying with their plan :D :eek:

Here we go again! Leaving Sunday the 9th, on the Breakaway out of NYC. Looks like Matthew may not cause any issues but what about Nicole:mad: the BReakaway is in Bermuda now and schedule to leave Friday afternoon to head back to NYC. Wondering if the ship will be able to get back to NYC by Saturday night/ Sunday am... Perhaps Nicole will fizzle out by Friday , any thoughts.. Not able to get a good graph/image for Nicole to see what is expected.

The breakaway is sailing well away from Nichole. No problem getting back. Glad you're looking ahead. This week there were furious people on the breakaway when they were told that the captain was not going to sail the ship into the middle of Hurricane Nichole. And not going to sail into the reminants of Matthew. And that they would be going to someplace warm and sunny.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51287481#post51287481

I thought the Breakaway didn't go to Bermuda on Sunday? Headed south to the Bahamas & Florida?

When the OP originally posted his question it was October 6, sailing wasn't until the 9th. He was questioning whether the ship would be rerouted. Looks like a few thought Nicole would be a non-issue. However some suggested NCL wouldn't sail the ship south but that is exactly what it did instead. I think Canada would have been a better option than Port Canaveral than Nassau. But that is just my opinion.

I don't think people were furious about it going South, other than the Bahamas is a cheap cruise, which is easily done from multiple Florida ports. Canada would have made more sense in terms of what the expense was of booking a Bermuda cruise.

The breakaway is sailing well away from Nichole. No problem getting back. Glad you're looking ahead. This week there were furious people on the breakaway when they were told that the captain was not going to sail the ship into the middle of Hurricane Nichole. And not going to sail into the reminants of Matthew. And that they would be going to someplace warm and sunny.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51287481#post51287481

You're responding to someone who sailed on the Breakaway this week.

To all Breakaway cruisers ... be very glad you ain't coming into Bermuda this week.

To all Dawn cruisers ... be glad you left Bermuda early this morning.

Here ... thick clouds hovering us all day today (Tues) and things look dark. High surf already here. No swimming or snorkeling lessons, but good times for idiotic windsurfers.

We have a hurricane warning. Nicole is visiting us with her Cat 2 winds.

Schools and workplaces close at noon tomorrow (Wed).

Tropical storm winds (high winds) start at 10pm Wed and ends at 9pm Thurs (23 hours we got to stay indoors).

Hurricane force winds 7am to 2pm - power likely to go off (if not before) ... no air conditioning, no running water (pumps run on elec), not flushing toilets, dare not open fridges/freezers as humidity would kick in and foods get spoiled, you're SOL if you have elec stove, no BBQ outdoors due to high winds, no computers, can't recharge devices, blah blah blah.

Nearest will be 11am Thurs. Meaning her eye. The winds around her eye are at their strongest.

But we will survive, as we always do.

Will return to work on Friday.

Here is one thing we are so pi$$ed off ... we have 2 large and tall avocado trees in our yard, they bear fruit only every 2, 3 or 4 years. And guess what? We have yet to try the pears in their full maturity!!

Every time the trees bore fruit we got hurricaned out a couple of months before their maturity! Two years ago they bore thousands but lost them thru the two hurricanes within a week, Fay and Gonzalo.

This year just one of them is bearing pears - hundreds of them - so it's a goodbye to them on Thurs.

Past decade or two - Fabian, Florence, Igor, etc.

Aaaargh!

We'll survive - Dark n Stormies!!! The NCL ships do have these in the bars - please go ahead and try some and think of us in Bermuda!!!

Edited by bluesea777

thats really sad about the pears :(

appreciate all the first hand reports from the land i hope to see in a week

Thanks.

Bermuda usually recovers fast after each storm/hurricane so I hope you will find Bermuda fine and up to your liking and expectations when you get there :)

Here ... thick clouds hovering us all day today (Tues) and things look dark. High surf already here. No swimming or snorkeling lessons, but good times for idiotic windsurfers. We have a hurricane warning. Nicole is visiting us with her Cat 2 winds ...

Stay safe and indoors, shelter in place and we are sure residents & island natives are as fully prepared as you are ... homes are solidly built & surely reinforced ahead of Nicole this week. We will be monitoring the storm also on 2 meter & low band ham radio and look forward to getting updates once the storm get out of harm's way, maybe it will turn and go elsewhere into the open Atlantic.

Time to sit back, relax, turn on that fully recharged Kindle/Fire tablet to catch up on ebooks - LED powered portable lights will get you thru the typical power outage, and stay out of harm's way.

Regards !

Thanks.

Bermuda usually recovers fast after each storm/hurricane so I hope you will find Bermuda fine and up to your liking and expectations when you get there :)

Stay safe. We love your beautiful island, been there many times.

When the OP originally posted his question it was October 6, sailing wasn't until the 9th. He was questioning whether the ship would be rerouted. Looks like a few thought Nicole would be a non-issue. However some suggested NCL wouldn't sail the ship south but that is exactly what it did instead. I think Canada would have been a better option than Port Canaveral than Nassau. But that is just my opinion.

I don't think people were furious about it going South, other than the Bahamas is a cheap cruise, which is easily done from multiple Florida ports. Canada would have made more sense in terms of what the expense was of booking a Bermuda cruise.

So,,, you would have had NCL sail the breakaway north into the reminants of Matthew, having the passengers endure rough seas, poor, cold, stormy weather than go south into the Caribbean? NCL specifically said that they were trying to avoid Matthew.

Reports from the ship is that most people are out on the sun deck and in the pool having a good time,,,,, versus being stuck in their cabins being sea sick.

Edited by BirdTravels

To all Breakaway cruisers ... be very glad you ain't coming into Bermuda this week.

To all Dawn cruisers ... be glad you left Bermuda early this morning.

Here ... thick clouds hovering us all day today (Tues) and things look dark. High surf already here. No swimming or snorkeling lessons, but good times for idiotic windsurfers.

We have a hurricane warning. Nicole is visiting us with her Cat 2 winds.

Schools and workplaces close at noon tomorrow (Wed).

Tropical storm winds (high winds) start at 10pm Wed and ends at 9pm Thurs (23 hours we got to stay indoors).

Hurricane force winds 7am to 2pm - power likely to go off (if not before) ... no air conditioning, no running water (pumps run on elec), not flushing toilets, dare not open fridges/freezers as humidity would kick in and foods get spoiled, you're SOL if you have elec stove, no BBQ outdoors due to high winds, no computers, can't recharge devices, blah blah blah.

Nearest will be 11am Thurs. Meaning her eye. The winds around her eye are at their strongest.

But we will survive, as we always do.

Will return to work on Friday.

Here is one thing we are so pi$$ed off ... we have 2 large and tall avocado trees in our yard, they bear fruit only every 2, 3 or 4 years. And guess what? We have yet to try the pears in their full maturity!!

Every time the trees bore fruit we got hurricaned out a couple of months before their maturity! Two years ago they bore thousands but lost them thru the two hurricanes within a week, Fay and Gonzalo.

This year just one of them is bearing pears - hundreds of them - so it's a goodbye to them on Thurs.

Past decade or two - Fabian, Florence, Igor, etc.

Aaaargh!

We'll survive - Dark n Stormies!!! The NCL ships do have these in the bars - please go ahead and try some and think of us in Bermuda!!!

Keep safe and I will be sure to try the dark & stormy :). Hope to be there on Sunday. We love your Island and want to show our children all we can in a few days.

Praying for all the people in Bermuda. Hopefully Nicole will not treat you too badly. Mother Nature has been a real witch lately.

And to all the people complaining about not being able to go on your scheduled itinerary, it's not a fun ride to go on the high seas. We went to Bermuda through hurricane Sandy (on RC Explorer). I would have much preferred to have hone South to The Bahamas and Florida. We had 45 foot waves, horrendous winds and rain, the Windjamner was shut down during breakfast on day 2, along with shops. Everything was falling over. We didn't get any type of compensation. We did get a wild ride to Bermuda, and arrived on time. Kudos to the Captain for keeping us safe, and thank God nothing more serious happened. There was minor damage to the ship, several windows in the gym were broken out then boarded up, some of the outdoor furniture was broken to bits. During hurricane season, anything goes. This is a 6 month period out of the year. The first priority of the Cruise Line is to keep the passengers and ship SAFE.

What would you do if you had a land trip planned for Bermuda and hurricane came...bunker down inside for a couple days and ride it out? To me, that would be worse than going South to PC and Nassau and enjoy the sunshine and everything the ship has to offer. After all, you are on the ship, getting the food and entertainment and sunshine which is what you paid for. The port stops are just a bonus on a cruise. If you want to visit a specific destination, fly there and visit to your heart's content. Then you will be able to really experience the destination in full by staying more than an afternoon, or a couple of days.

Edited by debshomespun

Link to the latest news & update for the islands - http://www.royalgazette.com/storm/article/20161012/nicole-what-you-need-to-know

Scattered power outage already being reported by the RG online, their site is still working while Dockyard's live webcam appeared to be offline, not surprisingly. Widespread destruction, storm surge, flooding, down trees & power lines ... damages are expected as this is now at Cat-4 storm making a direct hit over the island around noon tomorrow, sustained wind of 130 mph. Military troops will go out once it is safe to assist local emergency services in the rescue, cleanup and recovery efforts.

NCL's Breakaway has 2 additional sailing scheduled for the islands this Sunday and next Sunday ... hopefully, some of them do have trip interruption insurance and ready to travel, with an open mind in case of a last minute itinerary change.

For all on Bermuda, our thoughts and prayers. Be safe & be well - stay indoor until the storm is out & away ... and all clear is given to go outside again.