No Gratuities

dj63

Which is not a tip or gratuity.

NCL calls the mandatory "tipping or gratuity" charge a Daily Service Charge. Same thing, different nomenclature.

On land in the US/Canada/some Caribbean islands example: a restaurant may have a 15% mandatory tip/gratuity/service charge added to your bill. All 3 words mean the same thing. How many people here ask for the manager and say they want the charge removed because they want to pay the server directly? Just curious...

NCL calls the mandatory "tipping or gratuity" charge a Daily Service Charge. Same thing, different nomenclature.

On land in the US/Canada/some Caribbean islands example: a restaurant may have a 15% mandatory tip/gratuity/service charge added to your bill. All 3 words mean the same thing. How many people here ask for the manager and say they want the charge removed because they want to pay the server directly? Just curious...

Never, although unless service was not so good I would leave another 5% or more in cash.

When that list gets circulated among the staff that shows which cabins have gone and had the daily service charge removed, do not whine when your cabin gets skipped on service, or the attendant comes right when you are getting ready, or your room service delivery takes an hour to get there and is not what you wanted, or your assigned table at dinner is the slowest and last to be served and your food is not what you wanted or is cold, or your bags do not show up at debarkation...You opted to not get service because you removed the service charge...

Just where did you get all of that questionable information?

It is not questionable. It is fact.

I've been on these boards for a long time. The fact that a list is circulated has always been rumor. I saw the list. It was posted here on Cruise Critic a few years ago. Someone was taking a "behind the scenes" tour and saw it posted. It was published here .... names and cabin numbers. Then the names and cabin numbers were whited out. Then the post was removed. I saw it and many others did also.

They know.

Your cabin steward knows he's going to spend a week cleaning your toilet and smiling while he does it and that you are going to end up stiffing him.

Please understand my "you" does not necessarily mean YOU. :rolleyes:;)

Besides, you have heard that if you take off the tips and decide to tip individually (which most people do not), this is how the cruise lines let their crew know that if you provide service to cabin XXXX, they have removed the gratuities, and you are obligated to turn your tips into the pool. The cruise lines are not stupid.

Edited by mafig

When that list gets circulated among the staff that shows which cabins have gone and had the daily service charge removed, do not whine when your cabin gets skipped on service, or the attendant comes right when you are getting ready, or your room service delivery takes an hour to get there and is not what you wanted, or your assigned table at dinner is the slowest and last to be served and your food is not what you wanted or is cold, or your bags do not show up at debarkation...You opted to not get service because you removed the service charge...

This argument doesn't hold water for those (not me) who remove the auto grats on the last night of the cruise.

mafig : Besides, you have heard that if you take off the tips and decide to tip individually (which most people do not),

How do you know this?

Do you stand at Guest Services and stop everyone who removes the service charge and ask them if they are going to tip individually?

And then "most people" tell you that they will not tip individually?

Lois

Edited by electro

This argument doesn't hold water for those (not me) who remove the auto grats on the last night of the cruise.

So you let your "servants" wait on you hand and foot the whole cruise knowing that in the end your are going to with-hold their livelihood? Have you no heart? Dispicable. You've found the loop hole .... congratulations. I notice you're not disputing "the list."

How do you know this?

Do you stand at Guest Services and stop everyone who removes the service charge and ask them if they are going to tip individually?

I think the figures are 97% do not tip individually. That's most. Sounds like it's you.

Lois

You know, I couldn't sleep at night if I were you.

Edited by mafig

How do you know this?

Lois

As I mentioned previous, crew talk. They also transfer to different ships and lines. They are well aware of who didn't give tips/removed service charges/stiffed other crew members, even in other ships. Just like in any industry, word gets around.

A friend of mine has worked at several higher end restaurants over the past few years, and you betcha she remembers people who have stiffed her or another member of the service team, and you betcha she shares that info when one of those deadbeats or worse yet, dine and dashers, comes into her current place of employment.

I guarantee the patron gets nothing more than perfunctory service. Why spend the time coddling the people who won't tip even when service is stellar, when that time can be spent on a whale?

As I mentioned previous, crew talk. They also transfer to different ships and lines. They are well aware of who didn't give tips/removed service charges/stiffed other crew members, even in other ships. Just like in any industry, word gets around.

A friend of mine has worked at several higher end restaurants over the past few years, and you betcha she remembers people who have stiffed her or another member of the service team, and you betcha she shares that info when one of those deadbeats or worse yet, dine and dashers, comes into her current place of employment.

I guarantee the patron gets nothing more than perfunctory service. Why spend the time coddling the people who won't tip even when service is stellar, when that time can be spent on a whale?

Ducklite,

I see you've been on these boards for a while.

Have you ever cruised Celebrity?

Your name seems familiar.

I remember on the Celebrity boards around 2004 or so there was a poster who used to brag about not tipping. In those days you tipped via envelopes. He used to say he stuffed the envelopes with paper so the staff thought he was tipping them.

Anyway, some people found out who he was and what cabin he was in (from his postings) and they knew members of the crew of Celebrity and sent them his postings. I don't know if you remember that or not. People were banned from this site all over the place.

The next year he was supposed to go on a Disney cruise and was on the boards asking how he could avoid the "welcome, Mr. & Mrs ...... " that they do on Disney. He was afraid his reputation had gotten to another line.

So I guess word DOES get around.

Edited by mafig

You know, I couldn't sleep at night if I were you.

Why?

I never said I removed the tips, infact I always leave the auto grat in place and i usually tip extra. I Think I've stated that in another post in this thread.

Or maybe I shouldn't be able to sleep because I questioned a blanket statement you made about what other ppl do?

Again, how would you or anyone else know who tips individually, on top of or instead of the auto grats?

And I thought I had seen every excuse for cheapness under the sun. This one takes it to a new level, as it not only takes pay out of the pocket of a hardworking person, it also makes them look like they weren't doing their job.

Why not just admit that you have no concern for the welfare of others?

The fun part is that staff remembers the people who stiff them and that type of information gets passed along as crew rotate round to various ships and lines.

I hope you lock up your toothbrush.

The last sentence sums up the whole issue, if it's accurate it's not a tip, it's not a gratuity, it's not a service charge, it's extortion, pure and simple.

And it's not their pay it's tips.

Ducklite,

I see you've been on these boards for a while.

Have you ever cruised Celebrity?

Your name seems familiar.

I remember on the Celebrity boards around 2004 or so there was a poster who used to brag about not tipping. In those days you tipped via envelopes. He used to say he stuffed the envelopes with paper so the staff thought he was tipping them.

Anyway, some people found out who he was and what cabin he was in (from his postings) and they knew members of the crew of Celebrity and sent them his postings. I don't know if you remember that or not. People were banned from this site all over the place.

The next year he was supposed to go on a Disney cruise and was on the boards asking how he could avoid the "welcome, Mr. & Mrs ...... " that they do on Disney. He was afraid his reputation had gotten to another line.

So I guess word DOES get around.

I haven't sailed Celebrity and don't recall that situation. Unfortunately I have no problem believing someone would be that despicable, given some of the posters in these boards. :(

Why?

I never said I removed the tips, infact I always leave the auto grat in place and i usually tip extra. I Think I've stated that in another post in this thread.

Or maybe I shouldn't be able to sleep because I questioned a blanket statement you made about what other ppl do?

Again, how would you or anyone else know who tips individually, on top of or instead of the auto grats?

But you're not doing it their way, so you must be wrong.

But you're not doing it their way, so you must be wrong.

But I am, I am paying my daily charge and tipping extra.

I just don't believe that I have to tell other people what they should do.

I also don't believe in making blanket statements about people i don't know, with no way to back it up, just to make my argument sound better / more right.

Lois

Just where did you get all of that questionable information?

Bruce Muzz, another other cruise industry people here, have verified the list gets circulated.

The instances of "bad" service: I work in the hospitality industry. I hear this stuff all the time. I have been known to be a little "slow" if someone is acting like an entitled twit, or maybe not feel like going out of my way to find a car service to take someone to the airport on 15 minutes notice if I know the person whined about the resort fee and wanted it removed :eek:

As for this not applying to those who wait until the last day to remove the DSC - true. But, then I hope they feel proud of themselves for gaming the system. I find it despicable - it's like the carrot and stick - keep the DSC on during the cruise so you get "full service", then remove it to deprive those who worked for you their salary. Yes, salary. Tips ARE probably 90% of their salary...

For those who are so against the auto-whatevers: you have a choice of staying off those cruise lines, finding lines that do not auto-whatever and have this as part of the standard price, or sucking it up and either staying home or taking a land vacation. And, be sure that any hotels or restaurants you use do not have a mandatory resort fee, service fee, or service charge :rolleyes:

As for this not applying to those who wait until the last day to remove the DSC - true. But, then I hope they feel proud of themselves for gaming the system. I find it despicable - it's like the carrot and stick - keep the DSC on during the cruise so you get "full service", then remove it to deprive those who worked for you their salary. Yes, salary. Tips ARE probably 90% of their salary...

I wish the cruise lines would institute a policy where the passenger has to declare that they are not paying the gratuities/service charges on the first or second day of the cruise, sans those with true service issues. That way a list could be given to the crew of these folks and when it is between giving service to someone who pays them or someone that doesn't, they can address the passenger who pays theirs first. Not saying that someone who doesn't pay the gratuities shouldn't get good service, just saying the crew would know not to go above and beyond for these passengers.

So you would feel that a school which did not have armed guards present would be guilty if some nut job cam in and shot a student would be guilty?

Where did you study ethics?

That's a ridiculous comparison. Zero for relevance.:mad:

I wish the cruise lines would institute a policy where the passenger has to declare that they are not paying the gratuities/service charges on the first or second day of the cruise, sans those with true service issues. That way a list could be given to the crew of these folks and when it is between giving service to someone who pays them or someone that doesn't, they can address the passenger who pays theirs first. Not saying that someone who doesn't pay the gratuities shouldn't get good service, just saying the crew would know not to go above and beyond for these passengers.

I agree. Although I would replace good with adequate in terms of service. Put it this way. We tip quite well for excellent service (have been known to double or triple suggested) and I would hope our needs would be anticipated and attended to before someone who doesn't tip or hands out a few bucks and thinks they are doing the world a favor.

For those who are so against the auto-whatevers: you have a choice of staying off those cruise lines, finding lines that do not auto-whatever and have this as part of the standard price, or sucking it up and either staying home or taking a land vacation. And, be sure that any hotels or restaurants you use do not have a mandatory resort fee, service fee, or service charge :rolleyes:

You conveniently forgot to mention we also have the choice as decreed by the cruise line to remove the gratuities, no questions asked. I repeat it is gratuities not a service charge. Service is part of the fare.

FWIW I always hand out envelopes at the end of the cruise and yes they contain money not paper. However, I choose who I want to reward. What they do or are required to do with this tip is not my concern.

The high and mighty righteous attitude of many people on here saying you must do it this way or that way gets up my nose. Whilst I have choice I will continue to exercise it. I don't tell you how to manage your finances so don't tell me.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: