Ages On-board

flang

We have cruised a couple of times with NCL and found there to be a wide range of ages aboard but can anyone confirm if this is the case for all the other cruise companies.

I have this opinion stuck in my mind that all the other companies except NCL/RC/Carnival are for the more mature and that everything onboard is going to be very prim and proper and full of nans and granddads if you get my drift.

We are late 20s/early 30s and enjoy the nicer things in life, we are are not interested in clubbing and drinking. thanks

We have cruised a couple of times with NCL and found there to be a wide range of ages aboard but can anyone confirm if this is the case for all the other cruise companies.

I have this opinion stuck in my mind that all the other companies except NCL/RC/Carnival are for the more mature and that everything onboard is going to be very prim and proper and full of nans and granddads if you get my drift.

We are late 20s/early 30s and enjoy the nicer things in life, we are are not interested in clubbing and drinking. thanks

To a large extent you are correct. Go on Carnival, Royal Caribbean or NCL and you'll find the ship has waterslides, rock climbing walls, surfing simulators and some bowling alleys.

Princess, HAL, Celebrity, and the luxury lines do not have these venues. Clearly these lines are not aggressively going after the younger crowd.

However, there are other factors that come into play, such as the length of the cruise, the time of year, and the itinerary.

Sounds like Hollland America would be more for you, a lot less kids and a little more quiet :)

The OP - the person who posted this thread. Right? Why are you confused? OCruisers was replying to OP just as you did. :)

I quoted the person I was replying to. The next post after mine was addressed to "you". That could be anyone, including the prior poster, which in this case was me. So I asked who "you" was.

You are guessing as to who "you" is because just as I am. The difference between the two of us is that I am not guessing, I am asking the person (who I also quoted) who "you" is.

Even you use the quote button, which makes it clear who "you" is.

Edited by Cuizer2

We have cruised a couple of times with NCL and found there to be a wide range of ages aboard but can anyone confirm if this is the case for all the other cruise companies ... I have this opinion stuck in my mind that all the other companies except NCL/RC/Carnival are for the more mature ... We are late 20s/early 30s and enjoy the nicer things in life, we are are not interested in clubbing and drinking.

As others have said the longer itineraries generally skew the on-board crowd age "older", & physical activity laden ships toward the party/younger crowd. We, like yourselves, were often the "younger" ones aboard not overly interested in clubbing, climbing rock walls or partaking in alcohol-fueled pool games, etc. instead enjoying the relaxation of traditional cruising niceties, lounging by the pools, casually exploring lounges, etc. Over the years our "taste" progressed through Carnival/NCL to Princess/HAL, matching the itinerary/ship/line accordingly.

Sounds like you'd enjoy Princess & HAL too.

Cheers. Dogstar.

Edited by Dogstar

IMO, a more important consideration than age is lifestyle. OP already mentioned a few preferences. Add some others, like quality of food and service, unusual itineraries, nature of the passenger base (e.g., cosmopolitan?), true value (including net daily cost), and a "short list" will quickly emerge.

I suggest a look at premium lines like Oceania or Azamara.

Adult only ships, like P&O and Cruises & Maritime, tend to be older adults. So does Fred Olsen, though it's not adult-only. P&O family ships in school holidays will have lots of kids, who bring their young parents with them.

Not that I really get your drift - what is it that nans and granddads do that isn't "nice" :eek:

Just to set the record straight - IMO - sailing HAL will put your age group at about 10% of the passengers. When I started sailing HAL about 25 years ago, I was in the 40 year old range, and I was among the youngest on board. Today, that has obviously changed, but luckily I'm not among the walker/wheelchair group.

Now, saying that, HAL does have a very good, diverse kitchen going for it.

But, I think Celebrity would better suit your needs. Their ships have a very good vibe - good music, great food, lovely ships (but not mega!) - and a very mixed passenger age, trending more toward the under 40/50 age group than the 60/70 group.

There is a cruise line out there for everyone's taste; you just have to try them to find the right one for you! :D

Adult only ships, like P&O and Cruises & Maritime, tend to be older adults. So does Fred Olsen, though it's not adult-only. P&O family ships in school holidays will have lots of kids, who bring their young parents with them.

Not that I really get your drift - what is it that nans and granddads do that isn't "nice" :eek:

The nans purse their lips and look disapprovingly at other people without saying a word, and the granddads are much more vocal when they shake their canes and say words like "whippersnapper". Not MY grandparents, of course. :D

Thanks guys some interesting suggestions. I've been reading through a lot of posts on CC forum and have picked up tons of useful info.

Im quite surprised about celebrity as I wrongly though that was definitely one of the companies which catered solely for older people!

Thanks guys some interesting suggestions. I've been reading through a lot of posts on CC forum and have picked up tons of useful info.

Im quite surprised about celebrity as I wrongly though that was definitely one of the companies which catered solely for older people!

Personally I think X is the cruise line that caters for the younger couples really well.:D