Twice a day cabin cleaning

Honolulu Blue

Which statement best reflects your feeling about cabin cleaning?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement best reflects your feeling about cabin cleaning?

• I refuse to cruise on a ship that services cabins less than twice a day
    • I prefer twice a day service
    • I have no preference about how often a cabin is serviced
    • I prefer once a day service

I'm going to dodge the grats issue because I've seen how many of those threads turn out.

Anyway, Carnival is currently offering nothing for choosing once per day service vs. twice per day, but I've been in hotels that offered small perks for choosing NO service.

Apparently so. Part of the reason why I started this thread is to see if other lines were doing the same thing. I think I would have heard by now if they were. But make no mistake - your favorite mainstream cruise line's executives are watching this closely. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this implemented elsewhere.

I'm not aware of having been given a choice, but I'm pretty positive on our most recent RCCL cruise our cabin only got serviced once a day, generally towards the late afternoon at which time the bed was made and turned down in one step. I also took a very quick repo cruise on NCL last fall and would again venture that we were NOT getting both morning and evening service.

Personally, I think it's a smarter move to publicize that the reduction in service is an actual strategy - we can then focus our dissatisfaction (if any) on "corporate". In the case of my last two trips, I just chalked it up to vaguely poor performance by the stewards and in both cases did NOT leave any extra tip beyond the auto-grats which I'd already paid.

Edited by ronandannette

We cruised with Celebrity in June (2016) and our steward came in twice each day. We could make do with the room being serviced in the morning only IF we had access to dry clean towels and self serve ice. Another thing we enjoy is finding the next day's activities and other tidbits left on our bed to read. Of course these could be delivered outside the door or under the door. If it happens, it happens. Will I still cruise?, yes. Would I consider this on who I cruise with?, yes.

Edited by LiveToCruise99

I'm not aware of having been given a choice, but I'm pretty positive on our most recent RCCL cruise our cabin only got serviced once a day, generally towards the late afternoon at which time the bed was made and turned down in one step. I also took a very quick repo cruise on NCL last fall and would again venture that we were NOT getting both morning and evening service.

Personally, I think it's a smarter move to publicize that the reduction in service is an actual strategy - we can then focus our dissatisfaction (if any) on "corporate". In the case of my last two trips, I just chalked it up to vaguely poor performance by the stewards and in both cases did NOT leave any extra tip beyond the auto-grats which I'd already paid.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to ask a series of really stupid questions about those two cruises that you can answer if you wish - did you leave out your "do not disturb" sign during the day? Was service discussed with your cabin stewards? Was there anything in the newsletters that talked about this?

I agree with you that it's better to publicize something like this. And if the posts on the Carnival board here are any indication, Carnival corporate is getting quite the earful.

And, before I forget, thanks everyone! Keep the comments coming!

I definitely prefer twice a day. that has always been part of what makes cruising special. Returning to the cabin after the evening's activities and finding the bed turned down, a towel "creation" and the lights dimmed (plus all the wet towels from showering changed) is the BEST !!

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Interesting thread. While on land vacations, we frequently tell housekeeping to come in on every other day. Honestly, I don't like people "in my stuff" so every other day with towels is completely fine for us.

On a cruise, we enjoy the twice a day servicing. I think both times of the day are important: morning service to freshen towels, make bed, empty garbage, evening service to again freshen towels, leave the printed newsletter and other information, empty garbage, replenish supplies as needed.

I think once a day service is really cutting corners and comes off as an ultra cheap move. I hope this never happens line-wide.

I also vote for twice a day, but if it were cut back to once a day and the tips would be lowered, one would think each steward would be assigned more cabins so the tips would be about the same per employee while the cruiseline would benefit by having a few less employees.

I also vote for twice a day, but if it were cut back to once a day and the tips would be lowered, one would think each steward would be assigned more cabins so the tips would be about the same per employee while the cruiseline would benefit by having a few less employees.

....not so good if you are one of those let go to allow the cruise line to employ a "few less" employees! :rolleyes:

For those of you who can't see the poll and its choices, this is what is says:

Which statement best reflects your feeling about cabin cleaning?

* I refuse to cruise on a ship that services cabins less than twice a day

* I prefer twice a day service

* I have no preference about how often a cabin is serviced

* I prefer once a day service

----------------------

Hi guys. Are you ready for another unscientific survey? Of course you are! :)

First a little background: Carnival, on some of their ships, is experimenting with presenting its passengers on their first day with a form asking them when they preferred their cabins to be serviced - morning, evening, or both. There has been much discussion that board on the subject, but I wanted to ask the more general cruising public about it.

Thank you in advance for your responses and calm, reasoned discussion.

to be honest, it isn't a deal breaker for us either way: I would prefer twice a day, but, as long as cabins are cleaned and bed made in the morning I would be satisfied.

As a single, senior, male cruiser, as long as my bed is made and the cabin is tidied in the morning I'm satisfied. I can turn down my own bed at night; after all, I do that to my own bed at home.😊 During my recent stay in the hospital and subsequent stay in a convalescent hospital, I told the nurses/care givers that I was "very low maintenance", and I showed that by rarely made any requests of the staff. They had plenty of work to do as it was and demands by other patients.

This is a great attitude to have. I very much respect that and I'm sure those nurses appreciated your low maintenance personality. The world needs more people like this.