15 nite Silhouette T/A... $515pp?!? YUP!

teecee60

The "conventional wisdom" concerning the current state of all things cruise related...

OUTRAGEOUS price increases have made cruising on Celebrity too expensive!

There will be NO MORE PRICE DROPS within 30 days of sail away!

You just HAVE to book early to get the best deals!

Always book directly with the cruise line!

Travel agents are NOT ALLOWED to discount cruise line prices!

Last minute airfare will cost more than any money you save on late bookings!

A friend just booked the 15 night Silhouette transatlantic from Rome on 5 November 2016. :)

From an online travel site for $515pp! :eek: (with $105.17 in taxes)

Even though the Celebrity website is showing $699pp as their lowest fare. :(

Flights from San Diego to Rome and Ft Lauderdale to San Diego were $767.55 :D

I think we can safely put "conventional wisdom" to a well deserved and permanent rest.

Edited by teecee60

Good price - I look forward to being able to take off on a cruise on such short notice!

I wonder how much higher the prices for the other types of rooms are. I feel like an inside might not be for us. But who knows, I have never tried it. :)

It is funny to me how people "suggest" they know the "best way to cruise for others!.

We are "el cheapo" cruisers...usually we book balconies, but next trip is just ocean view. (I would bet we got our elite plus status for the cheapest...or at least very close to that...in Celebrity history)

I would rather take more cruises in lesser cost cabins than other way around.

I could call people "crazy" to pay for a suite (I can cruise 4 or 5 times on 7 day cruises for same cost)...but I don't call them that...to each their own!

Edited by dodger1964

It is funny to me how people "suggest" they know the "best way to cruise for others!.

We are "el cheapo" cruisers...usually we book balconies, but next trip is just ocean view. (I would bet we got our elite plus status for the cheapest...or at least very close to that...in Celebrity history)

I could call people "crazy" to pay for a suite (I can cruise 4 or 5 times on 7 day cruises for same cost)...but I don't call them that...to each their own!

I don't think anyone is suggesting how others should cruise it is just their preference.

I must have a balcony and won't book gty either as I like to know where I am going to be. Next trip is in CC as I like the locations more than any of the other perks apart from MDR lunch on embark.

As you say each to their own.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Agree with your statement : "to each their own". People book what they book for their own reasons and we make a mistake to judge people by their cabin category. Booking Inside or OV cabin in the long run might not be the cheapest way to move to the next loyalty level. You really need to calculate cost per point. Before the significant increase in Suite fares I found Sky Suites to cost the least per point. Probably not the case now. Keep an eye on Concierge guarantees as they seem to work best. The fun is cruising to get those points whatever cabin category you select.

Ever heard of claustrophobia? I need at minimum an oceanview cabin.

Well where's the need to book a suite when all you do in the cabin is shower, dress and sleep.

To each their own! :)

Edited by awhcruiser

Sorry to hear that all you do in your cabin is shower, dress and sleep:cool:

And where is your problem with that?

Some people, when they're on a ship, want to explore the ship and the ports, just like when they're in a hotel they don't want to be limited to the hotel complex. Some don't care about staying in their cabin, so I don't see the problem in booking an inside if all someone does in their cabin is shower, dress and sleep. :)

Like I said: to each their own; and there is certainly no need to pity other people's way of spending their money and holidays.

I do congratulate the OP's friend to snagging this great deal! Bon voyage!

To add to what the OP stated: I can confirm a similar experience as I booked a 9-night Arabian nights cruise quite close to sail date only very recently (a little more than 30 days out though) for just 299 € pp including taxes. We had been monitoring this cruise before and the price dropped from almost double the costs. No booking early as soon as the itineraries came out, and we booked with a travel agent who offered the cruise at a better price than Celebrity. Air fare was only 378 € by the way. Oh and it is not an inside :cool:.

Our last TA we cancelled and rebooked due to a price drop (German T&Cs don't honour price drops by a mere call and asking for it) so that even with the cancellation penalty we saved an incredible amount of money that paid for almost all of our shore excursions.

Tl;dr, you cannot generally say that prices always increase, TAs are never allowed to offer the cruise at a better rate than the line directly, last minute air fare is always more expensive.

Edited by Shenaz

To add to what the OP stated: I can confirm a similar experience as I booked a 9-night Arabian nights cruise quite close to sail date only very recently (a little more than 30 days out though) for just 299 € pp including taxes.,

There have been some stonking deals on the middle east trips this year.

The Connie 12n 28th Nov has dropped to £399 there have been loads of 7n/9n at £299 and these are the cruise line prices before any TA discounts.

the Connie Suez 14n dropped to £466 that was $603 at the time with the drinks package

(all UK prices include the taxes as does € based pricing)