Breakfest with the DreamWorks-- What a RIP OFF

Jerryk

Just got back for the Freedom this past Sunday..

My DW and I took our DD and Two grand kids-- age 3 & 10.

I booked this on the ship- RCCL charged my 10yo grandson ( ok I can live with this ) but they put us all in on corner of the dining room ( very cramped with all the people ) then only 1 character comes out and you get ( one family at a time ) go up and take two to three pictures then the next one.. After all of the kids get the picture the character leaves-changes to the second character then round two of the pictures.. The kids get to spend no time with the characters and all you get is the two.

On the web site RCCL makes it sound like all of characters will be having breakfast and romancing the dining room while you eat..

Not worth the 10.00 per person RCCL will charge you

It wasn't worth it when it was free. Hopefully others will see your review. Then again anyone who had written about in years past will be sad you didn't see their comments!

No character meals are ever like you hoped it would be. Not even at Disney. It will always be one group at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the previous post who said it wasn't worth it, even when it was free.

If you want a character experience, sail Disney. Characters will take the time to sing and dance and no child is ever rushed out of a character meet. And best of all on Disney, are the characters you run into while moving about the ship.

Even the DreamWorks photo ops on Royal are rushed and not worth standing in line for. The lines are very poorly managed.

Our kids had a good time at it and therefore we thought it was worth it. However we were right by where the characters hung out most of the time, like within 20 feet...so I think that added to the experience. Not sure how I would have felt if across the room.

We went to the breakfast in 2013 on Freedom. When it was still free. It was two characters back then. They both did a little dance number and had kids come up to dance with them, and then the picture ops. It is what it is and it is worth it if it puts a smile on the little kids faces. When we were there the kids seem to enjoy it and it's the adults that make more out of it being not worth it. It was free and now it's only $10 bucks to spend on your kid or grandkid.....Geeze! I did say in my review though that they could have had more than just two characters show up. I think that was the biggest disappointment for some of the kids as they thought it would be more!

I booked this on the ship- RCCL charged my 10yo grandson ( ok I can live with this ) but they put us all in on corner of the dining room ( very cramped with all the people ) then only 1 character comes out and you get ( one family at a time ) go up and take two to three pictures then the next one.. After all of the kids get the picture the character leaves-changes to the second character then round two of the pictures.. The kids get to spend no time with the characters and all you get is the two.

On the web site RCCL makes it sound like all of characters will be having breakfast and romancing the dining room while you eat..

20 yrs ago did Disney breakfast at Disney world, that cost $29 each and had even less interaction. But thanks for heads up, wont consider Royal's...unless my GRANDKIDS ask :)

I agree with your post 100%. Too bad you did not ask on this board about people's opinions of the breakfast before booking it. I think most would have suggested you skip it. Like others have said, it was not worth waking up for even when it was free.

I hope the rest of your cruise was enjoyable and your grand kids at least thought the breakfast experience was ok.

If you think that's expensive, you should see how much Disney charges!

Just come back from Disney World. Did Chef Mickey which costs $59 an adult(we had free Disney Dining Plan though) plus gratuity. The are much, much better meals that can be had at WDW for $59.

The kids loved it though and it was our 5 year olds choice.

It is exactly the same when we have attended on RC...kids love it and it creates memories. Is it worth $10?..depends on how much you feel memories are worth..kids are only only kids once :)

The live dressed up mule in Falmouth is only 5$ to have your pic taken with him. Sounds like a deal. Of course when my wife offered him 10$ the owner got really happy, but she told him for the 10$ he would have to take the mule home and feed him.

We were on the Allure 2 weeks ago.

We skipped this breakfast but we did make a point of meeting all the characters for photos with our 3.5yr old. We found that very few families actually went to the photo ops and our daughter had a lot of fun with the characters. She got to rid the carousel with King Julien...they walked on holding hands and sat together on the sleigh bench then walked off together. Then she did the same with Mort (though he couldn't sit with his tail). She was beyond thrilled. She also met the penguins on the promenade and walked hand in hand (her in between 2 penguins) from the red car to the far elevators where the penguins then did photo ops.

We found that on the last sea day they had the characters out in groups and on that day the line ups were really, really long and they limited everyone to one photo. But on the earlier days we had plenty of time with the characters, some even posed for photos with just her teddy bear.

Did the character breakfast with son, wife and grandkids on Liberty to Bermuda last year. We had seating up front. There was only one character roaming around at a time, each did a song and dance routine, the kids were encouraged to join in, pics were taken up front and at each individual table with each character - Gloria and Puss n. Boots if I remember correctly. My grandkids loved it, so for me, it was worth the money. As crosby99 said, "kids are only kids once."

We really enjoyed it on Liberty a few years ago when there was no charge.

I'll book again on our upcoming Oasis cruise next year and know there is a charge now.

Is it worth the $30 dollars or so for the three of us now, probabably not. My opinion for what it's worth is it's a bit of innocence and pleasure for children in a world that is rapidly changing (and not for the better).

Plus I have a soft spot for Gloria! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did it on Freedom back when it was free and I agree with those who have said it was not worth it.:D Our 5 year old grandson said it was boring, and I agree. We were seated back in the back so couldn't see or hear much, not that it was much of a program. There was a long wait for the character to come around for picture ops. Grandpa was not happy that I made him get up early for it!:rolleyes:

The only one who seemed happy to be there was the 16 month old grandson! He liked the pancakes!

Sherri:)

They charge now?! We took the kids in 2013 and it was not very good. We actually left early. We saw more characters roaming the ship than at the breakfast.

Yes, there is a charge now. The story the cruise line gave is that people would reserve every morning so they could have the option of going whenever they wanted. This would freeze out others who wanted to go.