Concierage Cabin vs Celebrity Suite... Is it worth it

lastchamp64

Last Friday I booked a trip on the Summit for Jan. 2018 in a concierge aft cabin #8172. Last night I was on the Celebrity website and noticed that my cabin dropped from $3788 with the Go Best package to $3356... I was able to get the lower price this morning.

I also put a 24 hour hold on a Celebrity Suite #6106 for $5598... Sure this is more, I was hoping for a Sky Suite last week but the only thing available was a Royal Suite. Then last night this one was available. It is a bit more than I wanted, but it is affordable for us.

The questions I have is it worth the price to have access to Luminae Restaurant, Michaels Club, personal butler, center ship location and etc. I have until 7:30pm to make a decision. As a newbie to cruising I appreciate everybody's opinion.

Edited by lastchamp64

My husband and I had the privilege of staying in the Celebrity Suite . I loved the space and the use of MIchael's club . AT that time there was no special restaurant. BUT the Butler was very friendly. In 2014 they bought the tea service to your room. IF money is no problem, I would get the Celebrity Suite.

Last Friday I booked a trip on the Summit for Jan. 2018 in a concierge aft cabin #8172. Last night I was on the Celebrity website and noticed that my cabin dropped from $3788 with the Go Best package to $3356... I was able to get the lower price this morning.

I also put a 24 hour hold on a Celebrity Suite #6106 for $5598... Sure this is more, I was hoping for a Sky Suite last week but the only thing available was a Royal Suite. Then last night this one was available. It is a bit more than I wanted, but it is affordable for us.

The questions I have is it worth the price to have access to Luminae Restaurant, Michaels Club, personal butler, center ship location and etc. I have until 7:30pm to make a decision. As a newbie to cruising I appreciate everybody's opinion.

Really up to you and what you want and can afford on your cruise. The Concierge cabin on the M Class ship is larger than the standard balcony. You get a special lunch on embarkation day and a bottle of Sparkling wine and afternoon munchies. other than the larger cabin I really don't see an advantage of a Concierge cabin. The Celebrity Suite is much larger and comes with many extras. You know about Luminae and Michael's Club already. Some don't care for the selection in Luminae, but most love it. I always enjoy Michael's Club. You will have a completely different cruise experience if you are in a Celebrity Suite. I'd go for the Suite if price isn't a concern.

We do love the suite life! Michael's Club was great fun and very relaxing when we cruised. Butler service is always nice.

Although we have not stayed in the CS our butler showed it to us at the end of or Summit cruise. Great living area....very light, separate bedroom. Only issue I would mention is the tub (with shower over) is really high....if you are fairly tall and no mobility issues it won't be a problem!

Have a great cruise!

We were in this suite on Summit for our Canada/New England cruise last September and have another CS booked on Millennium for Alaska. The suite was showing its age but was easy to overlook. The tub was a challenge, not only because it was so high, there was very little room to get into it because of the double sink. It has a nice dining table in the suite and separate bedroom. We were also in a CS on Eclipse for a Caribbean cruise in March.

The only reason I would hesitate to book a CS on an M Class ship is because of the narrow balcony. Even though it is wide it is quite narrow compared to other balconies and I don't remember a true dining table out there. Being on a cooler weather cruise it was fine.

I would keep 8172. There's nothing like the C1 Afts on the MClass ships. Yes, the suite benefits are nice but that location is amazing. The balcony is huge. They will give you loungers upon request. They used to come with loungers but then they went with the reclining chairs and footstools. I just ask now and they always give them to us.

The Summit is a port intensive itinerary and you're not on the ship that much either. That is the only Cabin I will book on Summit is a C1.

We were in 7140 on the Connie (the CS just above that suite). We had a wonderful time and love the whole package of Michael's, Luminae and the pampering from start to finish.

I was a bit nervous about the tub since I am 5-3 (not acrobatic, but no major mobility issues), but it was fine after you learn how to get in. The shower is wonderful and the tub is long and deep.

I also worried about the balcony because we were used to having 2 lounge chairs on the S class CS and Sky Suite. The balcony is quite long (about 20 feet?) and 4 feet wide. They wouldn't get us lounge chairs - it was pretty tight for that, but we had the reclining chairs with foot stools so it worked out okay. The table was small on the balcony so not as easy for breakfast on the balcony, but doable (we loved having breakfast in Luminae so did that most mornings). Having the full dining table inside was great.

If affordable, it sounds like a good time to try the suite life, but it may be hard to not have a suite the next time. We both still work so cruise less often and try to have a suite, if it is affordable.

Having an aft cabin is also amazing so you really can't lose!

As port intense as this cruise is, I would probably stay in the C1, use a little $$ for specialty dining, and use the remaining to book the next cruise! If you had several sea days, it would be different, but with that itinerary, you will be off the ship so much that your cabin is just a place to sleep, bathe and dress. While I love the suite experience, I personally wouldn't be able to justify the additional expense for this particular cruise.

We had 6104 on Connie in May and it was wonderful! [except for a little wind while sailing -- 6106 would avoid that.] The suite has a terrific layout -- private bedroom, large bath, super-large sitting room with a full dining table. We had room service breakfast every morning, which made it so much easier to get ready for early shore excursions without wasting time going to Luminae or dealing with the crowds in the Oceanview Cafe. The Butler was superb [never had one before, and now understand how much that adds in little ways]. The view is terrific from through those curved windows. And the location is so central to everything. And Luminae brings onboard dining to new heights! I would jump on it.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

One very nice feature of the Celebrity Suite vs. Sky Suite or non suite cabins is the bedroom is a separate room with a door.

I am an early riser, my wife is not. She likes that I can get up take my shower get dressed (I'm quiet doing that part,) then leave the bedroom, close the door and she can continue to snooze on.

I'm then free to read, surf the web, leave and get a coffee, take a walk, enjoy the scenery, etc.

It seems a small difference, but, if one is an early riser and the other is not, it really enhances the cruise experience for both of us.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I thought this one over all day long and decided to go ahead with the Celebrity Suite. The extra cabin space, Luminae, location and other benefits was something I'm willing to pay for. I'm looking forward to it.

May be worth seeing if your TA can get a sense of inventory. I'm guessing Sky Suites will open up sometime between now and then.

DW and I were in a Sky Suite on Equinox this past July and loved it - but at >$2k (is that per person?) to move from Concierge to CS that'd be a tough one. Even if it is within your (stretch) budget, that's a lot of space and a pretty substantial price difference.

If you book into a Concierge class, you should be able to upgrade to a higher category even after final payment - my luck with locking in price drops is a bit mixed. My strategy is to go with the lowest category and price I'd be satisfied with, but then keep my eyes peeled after final payment to try to lock in an upgrade and/or price drop with upgrade.

May be worth seeing if your TA can get a sense of inventory. I'm guessing Sky Suites will open up sometime between now and then.

I booked my cruise in May on NCL Escape with a travel agent and actually found the experience to be of no benefit and seemed like all they wanted to do was push me onto a Royal Caribbean ship. That and waiting a couple days for them to get back with me when I have a question is frustrating. For this trip I booked directly with Celebrity. Perhaps though, you may be correct about Sky Suites opening up. But I'd rather take my chances now.

DW and I were in a Sky Suite on Equinox this past July and loved it - but at >$2k (is that per person?) to move from Concierge to CS that'd be a tough one. Even if it is within your (stretch) budget, that's a lot of space and a pretty substantial price difference.

The price is the cabin price difference and not per person. If it were per person the choice would be a very easy, no way.

If you book into a Concierge class, you should be able to upgrade to a higher category even after final payment - my luck with locking in price drops is a bit mixed. My strategy is to go with the lowest category and price I'd be satisfied with, but then keep my eyes peeled after final payment to try to lock in an upgrade and/or price drop with upgrade.

Perhaps it's because I'm a rookie when it comes to cruising, but I would rather book the cabin location and category that I want in advance. If I wouldn't have done it this way on my cruise in May with NCL, I'd have never gotten the cabin I did, they are sold out as are most of the upgrades.

I do appreciate the good advice... Don't want you to think I"m being snarky.

Edited by lastchamp64

Perhaps it's because I'm a rookie when it comes to cruising, but I would rather book the cabin location and category that I want in advance. If I wouldn't have done it this way on my cruise in May with NCL, I'd have never gotten the cabin I did, they are sold out as are most of the upgrades.

I do appreciate the good advice... Don't want you to think I"m being snarky.

Have a wonderful cruise! You will love Michael's Club and Luminae....only problem is once you have experienced the suit life it is hard to go back!

Having experienced cabins inside, outside, standard balconies, concierge, aqua, and suites, I also shop for a cruise based on three things: location of cabin, itinerary and cost.

We can no longer go back to a cabin without a balcony, sorry to say it's just not possible. However, if the suite is $2,000plus (and in some cases much more) more than the balconies, I will opt for and be very happy with one of well-located balconies. We are able to give up "the suite life" for more cruises :)

To answer the OP's question about is it worth it, all things are relative. For me, "more" cruises are "better" than a little more square feet for 7-14 days. I don't need the status symbol of having a suite!

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

Having experienced cabins inside' date=' outside, standard balconies, concierge, aqua, and suites, I also shop for a cruise based on three things: location of cabin, itinerary and cost.

We can no longer go back to a cabin without a balcony, sorry to say it's just not possible. However, if the suite is $2,000plus (and in some cases much more) more than the balconies, I will opt for and be very happy with one of well-located balconies. We are able to give up "the suite life" for more cruises :)

To answer the OP's question about is it worth it, all things are relative. For me, "more" cruises are "better" than a little more square feet for 7-14 days. I don't need the status symbol of having a suite![/quote']

Totally understand your view point.

The older we get the more we are finding our ship based experience is as important as our itinerary....we still love to visit new places and enjoy old favourites but our 'down time' now just seems more valued...Nothing to do with status symbol of 'having a suite' lots to do with full cruise experience. Hope my comment makes sense!

How long is the cruise? Is the prices you quoted per person or total?

The cruise is for 7 nights. The price quoted was the total and not per person.

Having experienced cabins inside' date=' outside, standard balconies, concierge, aqua, and suites, I also shop for a cruise based on three things: location of cabin, itinerary and cost.

To answer the OP's question about is it worth it, all things are relative. [b'] For me, "more" cruises are "better" than a little more square feet for 7-14 days. I don't need the status symbol of having a suite![/b]

I guess if it works for you then go for it. I won't use sarcasm or jabs at how you choose to sail; It's your money and your vacation. I completely understand your reasoning and why you chose to do it. No attack from me at all. As for me, I am not afforded the luxury of taking more cruises or vacations in a year. I just can't get away from my business that long.

I should also say that it is not about status symbol when I vacation or travel. Amenities that are offered are very important to me. Example, I'm a big Disney fan and will spend more money to stay in a deluxe resort at Disney over a moderate or value. There are some over on Disney forum sites who make the same presumption or comment that it's a status symbol thing and often say I'd rather spend less and go more often. I take one vacation a year and I love to splurge on them. It's not about "Status Symbol." That's me. I guess I'm a bit taken back by the status symbol comment. But then I guess you may be taken back if I would say something like I'm not a cheap skate, so I book suites (which would be as faulty in thought). I guess if you would have ended with the sentence prior to the status symbol comment it would have been a very constructive comment and one I certainly could respect.

I should also say that my wife and I are not dance into the night, drink, drink drink kind of people. In fact we don't drink at all. We are early to bed and fairly early to rise. Because of this the size of the cabin was important. We certainly will spend a couple of hours into the evening in our suite before calling it a night. The space was an important consideration.

Edited by lastchamp64

The older we get the more we are finding our ship based experience is as important as our itinerary....we still love to visit new places and enjoy old favourites but our 'down time' now just seems more valued...Nothing to do with status symbol of 'having a suite' lots to do with full cruise experience. Hope my comment makes sense!

That sounds like us to a T... When I'm on vacation I still hit the gym or run, then play hard during the day, but we also love to enjoy our downtime and relax by ourselves where it is quiet. We do this at Disney and I'm sure we will do it on a ship as well. You said it well.

Edited by lastchamp64

Your comment makes total sense! And we love our down time in the cabin as well, especially on the balcony :) I was not being sarcastic about the status symbol of having a suite, just projecting some humor (hopefully taken that way) as some of the passengers who do see it that way, I have been witness to some of the bragging!

The cruise is for 7 nights. The price quoted was the total and not per person.

I guess if it works for you then go for it. I won't use sarcasm or jabs at how you choose to sail; It's your money and your vacation. I completely understand your reasoning and why you chose to do it. No attack from me at all. As for me, I am not afforded the luxury of taking more cruises or vacations in a year. I just can't get away from my business that long.

I should also say that it is not about status symbol when I vacation or travel. Amenities that are offered are very important to me. Example, I'm a big Disney fan and will spend more money to stay in a deluxe resort at Disney over a moderate or value. There are some over on Disney forum sites who make the same presumption or comment that it's a status symbol thing and often say I'd rather spend less and go more often. I take one vacation a year and I love to splurge on them. It's not about "Status Symbol." That's me. I guess I'm a bit taken back by the status symbol comment. But then I guess you may be taken back if I would say something like I'm not a cheap skate, so I book suites (which would be as faulty in thought). I guess if you would have ended with the sentence prior to the status symbol comment it would have been a very constructive comment and one I certainly could respect.

I should also say that my wife and I are not dance into the night, drink, drink drink kind of people. In fact we don't drink at all. We are early to bed and fairly early to rise. Because of this the size of the cabin was important. We certainly will spend a couple of hours into the evening in our suite before calling it a night. The space was an important consideration.

And no sarcasm from me, I apologize if it was taken that way! You don't see suites as such, and I do not either :) But I was hinting at those who brag..... I have witnessed quite a few. Sorry for how sometimes things are taken incorrectly through the written word, versus speaking. Speaking can include humor, laughter, and a smile, whereas emails or comments are taken through the reader's filters.