Prices rocketing in the U.K.

Lawhouse

RCL seem to be ramping up there prices in the U.K and trying to cover it up with worthless special deals. I suspect they will lose customers on this along with all the cutbacks, poor service increases in prices.

18% service charge to buy an Overpriced drink and the another 10% on top if you are in Spanish waters. Absolute joke.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

RCL seem to be ramping up there prices in the U.K and trying to cover it up with worthless special deals. I suspect they will lose customers on this along with all the cutbacks, poor service increases in prices.

18% service charge to buy an Overpriced drink and the another 10% on top if you are in Spanish waters. Absolute joke.

The value of the pound and euro is down against the US dollar.

I just had this from RCL, it made me laugh, the generosity it just incredible.

We have an exciting announcement to share regarding your Welcome Amenity.

We have listened to your feedback and will now be delivering an assortment of fresh baked cookies to your stateroom, instead of the shortbread cookie pouch. This will allow our guests to enjoy a variety of flavours carefully crafted and freshly baked just for you by our culinary team. You will still receive your 2 bottles of water per voyage as well as your choice of welcome beverage accompanied by this guest favourite selection of cookies. If you wish to update your welcome beverage, please visit the member portal by clicking here.

We look forward to providing you with this enhanced amenity fleetwide within the next 3 months, and hope you enjoy our fresh baked cookies delivered right to your stateroom. Thank you for sailing with us, but most of all, for your loyalty.

Happy Sailing!

Crown & Anchor[emoji768] Society

That's why it is wonderful there are so many cruise options.

If Royal isn't providing the value expected there are other cruise lines or indeed non cruise vacation options.

Vote with your wallet, let them know you are moving your custom, if you continue to buy their product they have no reason to change.

Complaining on Cruise Critic surely won't change anything

That's why it is wonderful there are so many cruise options.

If Royal isn't providing the value expected there are other cruise lines or indeed non cruise vacation options.

Vote with your wallet, let them know you are moving your custom, if you continue to buy their product they have no reason to change.

Complaining on Cruise Critic surely won't change anything

We have just booked a Regent Seven Seas. When you take into account what you get for your money it's not too bad.

P&O already discount heavily expect RCL to do the same (unless of course they fill their ships).

And therein as they say lies the rub.

Ships unlike a fixed asset like a hotel or resort are mobile.

Cruise lines can very easily relocate their assets to where they determine market conditions are more advantageous to them. Hence, RCL placing a new ship in China.

If competition is to stiff and margins can't be met, in one location, the ship can easily be moved to someplace else.

Cruise lines can very easily relocate their assets to where they determine market conditions are more advantageous to them. Hence, RCL placing a new ship in China.

If competition is to stiff and margins can't be met, in one location, the ship can easily be moved to someplace else.

True but you cannot move the ports.

People will always want to visit classic cities and not many of them in China plus how long before China has its own cruise ships?

If you are seeing prices increasing through UK sales channels, have you looked at purchasing through non-UK channels? If the price increases in the UK are just RCL squeezing the UK customer as some on here believe (and I really have no idea whether or not that is a reasonable conclusion) then he flip side should be that there are 'fairer' prices to be had through, for example, US travel agents or EU channels (and as a member of the EU you are entitled to purchase through any EU channel).

You don't have to buy through UK channels so if you're not getting the value you want, don't use them.

Of course, if this increase is just down to post-Brexit exchange rate increases then it won't matter which sales channel you use, but RCL can hardly be called out for that I would have thought.

Edited by abo

As of this AM, looks like all our booked cruises as well as sailings we were looking at are MORE.......In most cases by a couple hundred to a few hundred dollars, so I don't know about the exchange rate being the culprit.

Not necessarily that easy. A long term contract is in place for Southampton.

Plus the British cruise market is one of the biggest in the world..sure the might be a short term dip BUT the £ will recover and relocating elsewhere might see Carnival Corp, NCL & TUI steal this very important market.

I strongly suspect they will discount rather than leave the market if they were struggling to fill.

Sorry, but I don´t get the point! The 10% Spanish VAT is being charged for years now and it´s not RCIs fault it´s an EU law. BTW you have to pay the British VAT too (for cruises with no non EU port - like the Southampton cruises of the Harmony of the Seas).

The 18% (used to be 15%) Service Charge is also being charged on the beverage packages for years. Sometimes it was included in the daily price, sometimes it was charged extra but anyway you´ve paid it.

So nothing new with all this stuff!

BTW with NCL you pay the European VAT or State Tax in the US on every single drink even those you "buy" with a prepaid beverage package!

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

We have listened to your feedback and will now be delivering an assortment of fresh baked cookies to your stateroom, instead of the shortbread cookie pouch. This will allow our guests to enjoy a variety of flavours carefully crafted and freshly baked just for you by our culinary team. You will still receive your 2 bottles of water per voyage as well as your choice of welcome beverage accompanied by this guest favourite selection of cookies. If you wish to update your welcome beverage, please visit the member portal by clicking here.

We look forward to providing you with this enhanced amenity fleetwide within the next 3 months, and hope you enjoy our fresh baked cookies delivered right to your stateroom. Thank you for sailing with us, but most of all, for your loyalty.

Happy Sailing!

Gee, and I never ate those cookies onboard but saved them for my flight back home... that´s a "real cutback" :D!

steamboats

RC have increased UK prices on next summer cruises by more than 10% this is likely to be due to lower exchange rate.

What i find hard to take is that when other factors change significantly such as oil price dropping from over $140 to approx $25 there was NO decrease in prices to reflect this massive saving, I don't expect all the savings to be passed on as this us a profit making company but cruisers from the UK really do think RC are starting to take advantage of us.

I would love to book a cruise for next August but the prices are absolutely crazy, stick together fellow cruisers, don't book at these prices.

So they always try and put their prices up, a few will buy when they go on sale thinking they have a deal....and then watch the prices drop when they cannot sell.

Look at Vision in Dubai as an example. £299 for a week - or only £649 including flights. Now that is a deal.:eek:

The 10% Spanish tax rule is not of their making to be fair.

I just had this from RCL, it made me laugh, the generosity it just incredible.

Happy Sailing!

Now that is not an enhancement IMHO :( - I keep the bags of cookies for when I return home so I can eat them on cold winter evenings waiting for my next cruise.......

What is the betting they will in due course cut back on the 'cookie delivery' due to wastage?

#cookiegate

Edited by little britain

What is the 18% service charge? We pay gratuities of 18% on all drink orders but it is a tip for us, not a service charge???

Edited by troykahack

Service charge = tip.

Why would someone that not want to tip the customary rate, it's built in to the cost of the drink or package?

Is this something we do different between countries? Is it not customary to tip in some countries? I really don't know....

RC have increased UK prices on next summer cruises by more than 10% this is likely to be due to lower exchange rate.

What i find hard to take is that when other factors change significantly such as oil price dropping from over $140 to approx $25 there was NO decrease in prices to reflect this massive saving, I don't expect all the savings to be passed on as this us a profit making company but cruisers from the UK really do think RC are starting to take advantage of us.

I would love to book a cruise for next August but the prices are absolutely crazy, stick together fellow cruisers, don't book at these prices.

Is it the end of your world if you do not book a cruise?

As a UK cruiser, I feel your frustration but if any product is not value for money, I don't buy - simple.

Annie

Is this something we do different between countries? Is it not customary to tip in some countries? I really don't know....

Tipping, is mostly a NA thing (though slowly spreading other places), hence in other parts of the world, it goes over better if you call it a service charge.