Elevator (Lift) Etiquette

yuvraj

Back to the problem of pushing the door close button:

I've noticed a problem that can crop up when it's NOT too crowded.

The elevator lobbies in the Centrum is so wide that it can be difficult for

a small group of people to recognize which of the 6 elevators has arrived; if you even heat the "ding"

Then, it can take to long to get to which ever door just opened. It can be difficult for those already inside to see any one waiting.

Aloha,

John

Edited by jcl410
typo

I have always hated the elevator etiquette on cruise ships. It's like shopping at walmart on Black Friday... I remember the one time an older gentleman couldn't get on because the elevator was full. He rudely yelled out that if the fat girl wasn't in the back of the elevator than more people could get on.... who does that??!! The girl he was talking about was me. And for the rest of the cruise I made it my point to accidentally bump into him and spill my drink.. some people are just disgusting and rude

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

You really got to see him again[emoji15]?? We really focus on a few people on the cruise because they are unique, for example we saw a couple taking lots of pictures with extra light etc, another couple that just got married onboard and the list goes on but I rarely get to see them again in the entire week and we really temper faces [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You really got to see him again[emoji15]?? We really focus on a few people on the cruise because they are unique, for example we saw a couple taking lots of pictures with extra light etc, another couple that just got married onboard and the list goes on but I rarely get to see them again in the entire week and we really temper faces [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every cruise there is always certain people that you see repeatedly. Theres the guy that wears the same clothes for the entire week, the little old lady at the exact same slot machine, the overweight guy in the ridiculously small swimsuit, the older guy with a young woman that should be his daughter but isnt, the couple taking pictures of everything, the overly competative cruiser thats at every single trivia game, the woman that has the crispiest skin in a bikini that might be 70 or 35 who knows, the person that piles 3 plates worth of food on a single plate at the buffet and then sits at the nearest table to the buffet. Anything sound familiar ?

Anything sound familiar ?

Yes, the sound of a judgemental passenger who thinks that anyone who doesn't meet his standards of acceptability, appeal, or behavior shouldn't be allowed to sail with someone as undeniably perfect as himself.

There is a tendency for people to press the door close button as soon as the elevator (lift) stops at a floor. Seriously anti-social in my opinion.

Usually done by people who are fit and healthy enough to take the stairs to the detriment of elderly and disabled.

It always happens.

The only thing I hate is when you have been standing there waiting for a while because the elevators that stopped were full and you couldn't get on and more people show up and try to get on before you do just because they walked up at the right time....... I don't think so! I have gotten some bad looks from people but I usually will say....Excuse me but we have been waiting here for a while and will still get the bad look! Oh well sorry you mad....... but such is life!

Nothing pushes my buttons more than pressing the button for the elevator and having others show up after we have been there and they try to get on an already crowded elevator first. It's disrespectful. First come, first serve. I always wait if others are there first. It's happened more than once when we have waited a minute or two and then someone else walks up right as the elevators are opening and jumps on before us.

I do agree if there is someone in a wheelchair or scooter, I will offer to them first. Most times, if they just rolled up, they tell us to go ahead since we were waiting.

Better yet, scooter wars. Two scooters racing for the door at the same time. Once I was actually holding the door after stepping off and two tried to charge in at once. There may have been some snarling going on. :eek:

there would have been some snarling going on for sure if I was there to witness that

Being that all but one cruise ship sails under a Foreign Flag ADA does not apply. The cruise ship that must comply 100% to ADA is the NCL Pride of America that is registered to the USA, sails under the USA Flag and sails only is USA waters.

Though technically the close-door feature faded into obsolescence a few years after the enactment of the Americans With Disabilities Act in 1990 any elevator installed in a public building prior to 1990 and is still in operation today is "Grandfathered " until such time that the elevator has to be replaced. Most anything structural is "grandfathered" into ADA until such time that a full remodeling occurs for any public building built prior to 1990. Thus the reason there's still many obstacles regarding accessibility because building owners don't want to spend the money on a remodel.

The Supreme Court ruled around ten years ago that foreign flagged ships have to abide by the ADA while in US waters. I suppose they could reprogram their elevator buttons every time they enter/leave US waters, but I doubt they do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone who has to use a scooter when I travel, I have to ask "are we invisible?" I try to wait a polite distance from the elevator, and allow those who are getting off to do so. Meanwhile, 10 other rude people who arrived AFTER I did will jump on the elevator ahead of me. How long exactly is someone on a scooter supposed to wait - until everyone else who wants to use the elevator is done? Sometimes I don't blame people for ramming their way on - when all of the people who are already on have just jumped in front of them. Also, a lot of people on ships are using scooters that are not their personal property. Driving them takes some getting used to. Would it kill people to move to the side so they can pull straight in? Or to hold the door open before it closes on them?

I totally agree! My wife uses a scooter and many times it's like she's invisible to everyone! She waits at the end so she could see which elevator would open, but usually passengers who just walked up would rush to get on and fill it up before she could get there. I try to stand in the middle so I can get to any elevator that comes and I get in the door to hold it open and tell everyone that she is coming on the scooter and to please step back. I even ask the people on the elevator to move to the side so she can pull straight in. But in like manner, if others were already there when we get there we let them on the first elevator that comes and we wait on the next one. After we get on the elevator usually everyone is very nice. They ask what floor we need and make sure the button is pushed. My wife even jokes with everyone about keeping their toes out of the way. She tells them she is a nurse and does not want to take care of anyone while on vacation. It all comes down to manners. Either you have them or you don't, or you choose to ignore them while on vacation.

As far as the original OPs statement about people pushing the close door button, I do use that button but only if the elevator door opens and no one is there waiting to get on.

Just throwing my two cents into the hat in the ring,

I've only been on three cruises (one each on serenade, liberty and majesty) but so far I don't remember running into ANY true jerks of any kind. It's amazed me so far how polite 2 to 4 thousand people crammed into one space have been so far - does it mean cruisers are nicer people than normal people? ;) that last part was a joke! :)

Seriously, I've seen people have to wait in line for elevators, the buffet, restaurants, ice cream, the theater etc. and I have YET to see ANY pushing, shoving, short tempers, choice words or raised voices.

The point is simply that I'm sure things like what the OP reported certainly happen I just want to believe they're the exception rather than the rule.

..... My pet peeve is when people keep holding the door open when there is no longer room for another person, resulting in the CRAM. I mean...it's an ELEVATOR..not the last helicopter out of Vietnam. Another one will come!

vietnam_war_escape.jpg

The Supreme Court ruled around ten years ago that foreign flagged ships have to abide by the ADA while in US waters. I suppose they could reprogram their elevator buttons every time they enter/leave US waters, but I doubt they do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let's be a bit clearer: "reasonable accommodation" on a ship is vastly different than in a shoreside building.

I also have to chuckle at the comments about "overcrowding." What constitutes "cramming in" depends heavily on your point of reference. If you've ever been a NYC subway commuter, you can always fit another couple of folks.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Yes, the sound of a judgemental passenger who thinks that anyone who doesn't meet his standards of acceptability, appeal, or behavior shouldn't be allowed to sail with someone as undeniably perfect as himself.

So true.... what about those that try to look up ones shorts to talk about the scenery later??? Same deal....

Ok, back to elevators...

Just throwing my two cents into the hat in the ring,

I've only been on three cruises (one each on serenade, liberty and majesty) but so far I don't remember running into ANY true jerks of any kind. It's amazed me so far how polite 2 to 4 thousand people crammed into one space have been so far - does it mean cruisers are nicer people than normal people? ;) that last part was a joke! :)

Seriously, I've seen people have to wait in line for elevators, the buffet, restaurants, ice cream, the theater etc. and I have YET to see ANY pushing, shoving, short tempers, choice words or raised voices.

The point is simply that I'm sure things like what the OP reported certainly happen I just want to believe they're the exception rather than the rule.

Worst time is after Muster...

Let's be a bit clearer: "reasonable accommodation" on a ship is vastly different than in a shoreside building.

I also have to chuckle at the comments about "overcrowding." What constitutes "cramming in" depends heavily on your point of reference. If you've ever been a NYC subway commuter, you can always fit another couple of folks.

Yes, it does but we're talking about ship elevators.:D I was on an already crowded elevator and when the doors opened, the ladies waiting were told there was no room. Despite their size, they crammed in. A bell started ringing and OVERLOAD kept flashing but they refused to get off. Their protest was futile because the elevator wasn't going anywhere. They finally got off.

First time I ever experiened an overload on a ship although there were times when I thought the car was overloaded.

K

We take the stairs unless DW is dressed for evening and we then take elevators.

I am amazed at the number of people we have seen get on an elevator going down and get off at the next floor.

Have not experienced people getting in and pushing close while others are still getting on.

I could see an occasional person, but not everyone.

Do you have a fool proof way of knowing ifhey have breathing, , back , arthririts.probless? Maybe that is why they take the elevator. kEEP IN MIND, thagt in gthe flash of a second, one's youthful good health can change dramattically. If one is lucky enough to live to grow old, they likely will develop one condition or another. That person on the elevator might be someone you love, one day,,,,,,,,,, ;)

Edited by sail7seas

K

Do you have a fool proof way of knowing ifhey have breathing, , back , arthririts.probless? Maybe that is why they take the elevator. kEEP IN MIND, thagt in gthe flash of a second, one's youthful good health can change dramattically. If one is lucky enough to live to grow old, they likely will develop one condition or another. That person on the elevator might be someone you love, one day,,,,,,,,,, ;)

Thank you, Sail7Seas! My DH and I are also folks who routinely take the stairs -- unless I'm prevented by high heels and long skirts. Taking the stairs has just always made more sense than waiting for an elevator (and, goodness knows, we could use the exercise!:p).

However, a few years ago, I found myself cruising with a torn meniscus in my left knee -- not something I'd particularly recommend doing. Although I could walk OK (slowly) -- going up and down even a couple of stairs was pure agony.:( So, yes, I was THAT person, who didn't look particularly disabled, riding the elevator up and down one floor. Thank goodness, I found a good surgeon after that cruise, and I'm back to taking the stairs. But, I will never be tempted to judge anyone else's reasons for taking the elevator!

We rarely use the elevator because we like the exercise. But we will grab one on occasion when Sally's formal attire (she looks really good in a tight dress and long high heels) prevents walking the stairs safely, or we are very exhausted from our port outing.

I learned a trick from this forum to walk one deck lower than the popular crowded deck to wait for an elevator where almost nobody waiting. After one long day at the beach on St. Johns last month, we walked down to deck 2 while two dozen exhausted passengers waited on deck 3. It worked because the elevator goes down to the lowest deck. Fast and easy.

Of course now that the cat is out of the bag........

Burt