Do You Purchase Welcome Photo

4x4bob

I'm definitely in the minority! We buy all our pics! It was great last summer when the Grand had deal. All your pics printed and digital for $199 :)

We have, but not always... I have one sitting right here, of us boarding the old Royal Princess for a Baltic cruise in l997.... mine memory.

We have 23 Princess cruises... so we generallly only purchase one photo per cruise.

Usually we try to skip it to board the ship asap! But, if there is a short line and we take the pic, we never buy it. We rarely buy any of the photos we have taken, unless it is really special like a Christmas one or something. And, in the MDR, we decline to have the pics taken. Way too close-up of our mugs! Hard to get by those darn pirates in port though! Besides, we have way too many of the photos from years past and I would rather save the money.

We always buy the embarkation photo as a nice reminder of the ship, date and itinerary.

There have been a couple of times that the photographers have not been set up when we get on the ship early, so we missed out on those.

That is the only photo we buy and I too, think it's so annoying when they come around at dinner in the middle of your meal and conversation to take your picture. We just say no thank you.

Yes, I do like to purchase the Embarkation photo when I will be doing a photo album of the cruise. It shows who we are traveling with, where we are going, and on which ship. It's a nice way to start the album.

Also, we don't have to fly when cruising from LA. If it's another port we always fly in at least one day early.

If I am not going to do an album, I don't purchase the photo. (We have been on over 30 Princess cruises; so only some are album-worthy).

I too was happy last month on the Star Princess when they had photo specials. It will be great when we are cruising with family.

What photographers? :D

We took a photo on a ship one time, on dress up night, on our honeymoon - many years ago. It was stolen when in a suitcase in the airport.

Sometimes we take photos with our table mates - usually the waiter will take all of our phones and snap some for us.

The ship photography does not interest us at all.

We buy the Welcome Onboard Photo. (only that one) Have 33 cruises and have put them in one photo book. Our first cruise was in 1979 and our last (so far) was this year. It's fun to go through and see how we have changed plus hair styles etc. Also like the fact that it has the ship, dates, ports, etc. Quacker Don

Not only do we not purchase them, but on our last 2 cruises (totaling 44 days) we've set a new 'personal best' record of not having our photos taken by ships' photographers even once (other than the one required on boarding for their security records)! It takes constant vigilance, but it can be done!

We also have not had our photo taken by ship photographers in years. We dont buy them, so why take them. Saying no usually send them on their way.

Do you ever Purchase the Welcome Aboard Photo?

Here is my take on why I will not even bother looking for mine on the photo rack.

You spend hours cooped up on an Air Plane, have to wiggle through crowds to find your luggage in the airport, locate transportation to port, wait in line in the hot sun, and finally clear the check in desk. Then someone sticks a camera in your face and tells you to smile.

My Humble thoughts are, that is no way going to be the best photo of you while on that cruise.

So, do you purchase the welcome aboard photo?

Bob

On our first few cruises, we did. After traveling, even by car your not usually ready for pictures.

There have been very few if any of the fifty cruises I've done where I didn't fly or drive down a day or two ahead of time, even when I sailed from nearby Baltimore. I just like being able to wake up fresh, take my time, have a nice casual breakfast, and head over to the port at my leisure. But that's just me.

With that said, I have purchased several embarkation pictures when sailing on that particular ship meant something personal to me: Queen Mary 2 in her inaugural year, Celebrity Mercury in the final months prior to being transferred, Allure of the Seas, Royal Princess, Celebrity Century, and Celebrity Millennium among others. I did buy them in the beginning too: Carnival Ecstasy, Sovereign of the Seas, etc. And I have purchased, once in a great while, the rare port-gangway picture like the Volendam in Skagway with the mountainous backdrop. And I'll most likely buy the one next year (cruise #51) on Anthem of the Seas before heading to Bermuda.

As for the carry-on luggage I'll move it out of photo range in the direction towards the embarkation gangway, step back for the picture, thank the photographer, and then head for the ship.

So, yes, I do still buy them. To me, every cruise is still just as exciting as the first.

:D

Yes, expressed much better than I did, earlier. Young at heart, each one with it's own promise... as exciting as the first, a new beginning of a hopefully great adventure and future fond memory. And yes, we throw the carry-ons out of the frame, too :)

We buy one photo on most cruises that may show itinerary or voyage. Only buy the embarkation one if we are traveling with family.

That is the only photo we buy on each cruise....it is kind of our tradition....also we always act "excited" to pose for photographers when we get off the ship at each port....they seem to love it and it helps them stay busy.....it's part of the fun of cruising to us....:D:D

We enjoy purchasing and taking pictures- a fun activity! We typically enjoy the boarding, port photos and formal nights! A special memory we review especially when we are trying to forget it is winter at home! Typically we try to purchase a photo package- we are able to do so for a reasonable fee on Celebrity and most RC cruises. Haven't sailed Princess in a while, so I am not sure of their current pricing.

Enjoy.

My parents bought one of our family boarding the QE2 in New York back in 1976. That is the one and only "Boarding Photo" that I have ever owned. We mostly sail out of hot, humid Florida ports and by the time we board the ship, we are sweaty and disheveled. I have no desire to capture that moment for posterity. We politely decline and just keep walking.

The ones I've purchased from few years back (taken at embarkation) are still sitting in their envelope in a desk drawer. The last 4 or so, we haven't even stopped to pose for a picture on embarkation day. I have used two pictures for Christmas cards, which have been really nice. One was taken by a photographer on Princess Cay and the previous year was in the dining room on the Royal. Somehow, both pictures turned out pretty well.

I've had pictures taken as you're walking off the ship where there are people also walking off who end up being in the picture with you. I would think if the photographers really wanted you to buy the picture, they would wait and make sure they weren't taking your picture with some stranger in the background.

We haven't done this in years even on NCL. There just hasn't been anybody to do this? We have priority boarding does that make a difference? Would have liked a family shot on the NCL Dawn last month nothing.

We are traveling with others in April and it would be nice (for them at least) to have the record of this trip. How can we get this done if they take us a different way boarding? Have we just been lucky and not run across them at the gangway entrance?

And for the record we also dislike the MDR photos. I did like the NCL set up for photos and ended up buying some because I didn't have to hunt for them.

Another reason I buy a few (if they are fairly good) ship photos of the two of us is that for most pictures we take at home, I'm the photographer and rarely in the pictures. It's hard enough getting everyone to pose at all, let alone a whole other set of photos with me in them.

We often do use a ship photos on our Xmas card as well. It's nice to have a decent photo of the two of us.

Here is my take on why I will not even bother looking for mine on the photo rack.

You spend hours cooped up on an Air Plane, have to wiggle through crowds to find your luggage in the airport, locate transportation to port, wait in line in the hot sun, and finally clear the check in desk. Then someone sticks a camera in your face and tells you to smile.

My Humble thoughts are, that is no way going to be the best photo of you while on that cruise.

Bob

I couldn't agree more with you Bob. A photo coming up the gangway is the last thing I want to stop for. Not fussed on being ambushed for a photo at the ports either (on disembarking). The formal night photo is the only one we like.....that airbrushing works wonders on our complexions ;)

Bob

That is the one picture I usually get on every trip. Here are my reasons why:

We love that it usually has the itinerary listed ... at least the boarding date and name of ship. This is usually our only memento that we get on any trip.

We almost never ever ever get any of the formal night or port of call pictures.

When we cruise, we've almost always started the day out fresh. We live near a pier and if we don't sail out of that pier, we are usually stayed with friends that we've met on a cruise and then head out to the pier. We have elite status on 3 cruiselines so get early boarding and usually a separate line to get to that point.

The anticipation of another cruise usually puts a smile on our face so we are usually at our best.