Question - can American book cruise for UK citizen?

NJ&Ozzie

Hi,

Talking to some UK people onboard now. They are curious if their American friends could book a cruise for them with U.S. website/agent. They would pay them of course. But not sure about this, as they would have to put in UK residence/passports. Not certain this would work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

NJ

Yes, I do it all the time, I just use my American address for my friends, and use their credit card for payments. Never an Issue

Ok - thanks. So there's no issue when you board in Southampton? Usually they want to see the credit card that you booked with - how do you get around that?

NJ

Ok - thanks. So there's no issue when you board in Southampton? Usually they want to see the credit card that you booked with - how do you get around that?

NJ

They want to see the credit card you are using for the onboard account, but I've never had them ask for the credit card that paid for the cruise. Is that something particular to Southampton?

Edited by clarea

They want to see the credit card you are using for the onboard account, but I've never had them ask for the credit card that paid for the cruise. Is that something particular to Southampton?

Hi Bob,

No, I think you're right. It is the credit card you set up for onboard charges that they want to see when you check in. I only used Southampton thinking that might be where these people would board.

I will tell these UK people that guess it would work then. Apparently they have friends in US that would book for them. Must have an element of trust I would think to do this.

We are on Navigator now heading towards Southampton, then on for TA cruise to Miami.

Thanks for the info! Will pass this on.

NJ

How would they know if are are in the US or UK?

I heard the prices sometimes are different so I am wondering if the IP address from where you are at is what gives you a different interface. What if I was traveling to London while checking prices, would I see different pricing? I ask because I've been checking the Celebrity itineraries for the Mediterranean and I heard that the schedule might get deployed at the end of Nov, which is when I will be in London.

How would they know if are are in the US or UK?

I heard the prices sometimes are different so I am wondering if the IP address from where you are at is what gives you a different interface. What if I was traveling to London while checking prices, would I see different pricing? I ask because I've been checking the Celebrity itineraries for the Mediterranean and I heard that the schedule might get deployed at the end of Nov, which is when I will be in London.

Yes, while you are in London the website will default to the UK website. You would either need to use a VPN such as tunnelbear or call Royal in the US to book.

You would definitely see different pricing and promotions.

Yes, while you are in London the website will default to the UK website. You would either need to use a VPN such as tunnelbear or call Royal in the US to book.

Thanks Ken for the quick response. I've been wondering about this for a while.

Thanks Ken for the quick response. I've been wondering about this for a while.

Hi,

Problem is that to book on US site, you need a US credit card. Doesn't matter if you change your IP location to disguise where you are. Also, only way to get a US credit card is to have a social security number.

In Canada, we have a US dollar account credit card - issued by our Cdn. bank which we can use. Wonder if UK citizens also have this with their banks?

NJ

Hi,

Problem is that to book on US site, you need a US credit card. Doesn't matter if you change your IP location to disguise where you are. Also, only way to get a US credit card is to have a social security number.

In Canada, we have a US dollar account credit card - issued by our Cdn. bank which we can use. Wonder if UK citizens also have this with their banks?

NJ

That makes complete sense! So I am covered.

Hi,

NJ

Canadian credit cards work as well.:)

You can book fine using a UK card. I'm from the UK and have booked many cruises using US agents and my UK card - make sure you use a card like the Halifax Clarity for the best rate. However I will add that since the collapse of the pound the price advantage has gone - only the t&c advantages remain

Hi,

NJ

In today's global internet marketplace, I've yet to see a vendor reject a legitimate credit card just because it's issued in another country. International acceptance is the cornerstone of the credit card industry.

Hi,

NJ

That makes complete sense! So I am covered.

You don't need a US credit card, a UK one works fine, the only thing you need to do is if you are paying online, use the UK address as the billing address but change the country to US.

You're welcome. One downside is that I don't believe the 1-800 numbers for Royal US will work from the UK, could be quite a long distance bill.

I use US 800 numbers all the time. They're free on Skype :)

I've also used a US TA to book a cruise with no problem, as an earlier poster suggested, I use a Halifax Clarity card. In fact the CC bill arrived today :mad:

I heard the prices sometimes are different so I am wondering if the IP address from where you are at is what gives you a different interface. What if I was traveling to London while checking prices, would I see different pricing?

You don't need to travel to the UK to see what you would get - you can navigate to the RCI UK site at any time (scroll all the way down on the main US RCI site and click on the globe (US) to change to another country. If you ever want to see the most comprehensive cabin inventory, go to the RCI UK site.

Hi,

Problem is that to book on US site, you need a US credit card.

No, you don't.

I'm an Israeli citizen with an Israeli issued credit card. I book my cruises with an US travel agent, and I also book my German citizen sister with my credit card, since my English is better:)

When she is doing the check in for the on board credit, she fills in her German issued credit card.

When I log in to check my reservation on RC site, it recognize my location as Israel,and it doesn't refer me to an Israeli agency...

There's many of you who do not know the facts. I book with a major US travel agent all the time with a UK address and UK credit card. No problem. I obviously compare which country/company has the best rates and offers and go with them.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

If you use the link below when in the uk, you can view the US website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/?wuc=us