Celebrity Cruises To Become First Major Cruise Line With Dublin Based Ship

DYKWIA

Celebrity Cruises To Become First Major Cruise Line With Dublin Based Ship

Celebrity Cruises have just announced that they are set to be the first major cruise line with a vessel based in Dublin. Cruise ship fans will be excited to know that one of the Celebrity Solstice ships will be based in the port by 2018.

The itinerary details for this ship are not yet known but they will most likely be around Northern Europe. It has also not yet been revealed which of their ships will be based there.

Jo Rzymowska, managing director of UK and Ireland, said: “Celebrity Cruises has enjoyed significant support from our travel agent partners and guests throughout Ireland for many years. Now we are saying thank you by basing one of the flagships of our fleet in Dublin for a mini season during early summer 2018.

“We know that our guests from around the world, and in Ireland, will love the warm welcome they receive when starting a holiday in Dublin. Calling Dublin home in 2018 is a major development to our European deployment.”

The exciting new move is set to bring €6 million to Dublin in tourism and lots of profitable economic benefits for the surrounding area.

Pat Ward, head of corporate services for Dublin port, said: “It has been a clear ambition of Dublin Port to attract a cruise line to offer our great city as a homeport. Today, that ambition is realised and Celebrity Cruises will be an important step-change in our history.

“The opportunities that this new investment will bring are extensive. We look forward to maximising this new platform for growth and welcoming yet more cruise ships and holidaymakers to Dublin for the first time.:)

Hi Everyone,

Interesting decision by Celebrity. I think it will generate a lot of interest.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see what 2018/19 deployment looks like, and see where the first Edge class ship will be deployed.

I can't wait to see these itineraries and would love to have the first one to immediately follow the TA in spring 2018.....feel pretty certain it will be the Eclipse, which we love. On Equinox last week they said the new itineraries would be out Nov 29 & 30.....

Edited by Gracie115

I can't wait to see these itineraries and would love to have the first one to immediately follow the TA in spring 2018.....feel pretty certain it will be the Eclipse, which we love. On Equinox last week they said the new itineraries would be out Nov 29 & 30.....

Would make for shorter itineraries up to places like Iceland. Probably also some tax advantages for Celebrity. Would make Baltic Itineraries to Russia bit longer.

Edited by DYKWIA

Would make for shorter itineraries up to places like Iceland. Probably also some tax advantages for Celebrity. Would make Baltic Itineraries to Russia bit longer.

Tax advantages - how?? Eire is a member of the EU.

As a Brit, if I wanted to cruise the Baltic again, I would fly to mainland Europe - no brainer.

Annie

I'm not sure about shorter...there are only 5 trips over 3 months (or partials of 3 months)...I assume that means 14 day cruises?? or longer?

Hi Everyone,

I'm eagerly awaiting to see what 2018/19 deployment looks like, and see where the first Edge class ship will be deployed.

me too. so exciting!!

I'm not sure about shorter...there are only 5 trips over 3 months (or partials of 3 months)...I assume that means 14 day cruises?? or longer?

If travelling to Iceland from Southampton via ireland it takes a day to get to ireland, so that's 2 days saving on a return trip

Tax advantages - how?? Eire is a member of the EU.

Countries have different tax regimes even within the EU. this can apply to individuals and businesses.

For example, remember when a few years back George Osborne cut the UK top tax rate, it didn't apply to any other country in the EU. Corporation tax is also MUCH lower in Ireland than it is in the UK.

Edited by DYKWIA

If travelling to Iceland from Southampton via ireland it takes a day to get to ireland, so that's 2 days saving on a return trip

Do cruises do that now? I would think they would have stops on the way, so it's not just like moving the ship the whole way without doing other cities on the way?

Do cruises do that now? I would think they would have stops on the way, so it's not just like moving the ship the whole way without doing other cities on the way?

This year and next Celebrity has been cutting the length of a lot of its cruises in Europe. 14 night cruises to the Canaries have shrunk to 13 night cruises this year and 10-11 night cruises next. It enables them to cram more cruises in, reduce entertainment costs (because you are using the on board production shows more), and hold prices down - the Toblerone trick, charge the same but offer less.

Liverpool port has recently been redeveloped so it wouldn't surprise me to see more ships calling in there

Edited by DYKWIA

Hi Everyone,

Andy,

Do you know for sure that Edge class schedule will become available this year?

Thanks

I can't wait I live 10 minutes from port a pure dream. My friends dad is thrilled he's been told he can't fly even a short European flight so he's decided he's going on what ever itenery there offering even if it's just around Ireland

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First I suppose the ship sailing out of Dublin should be Celebrity Eclipse.

Have a look at the 2018 port schedules of Akureyri and Reykjavik, where in May 2018 she is listed every 10th day more or less. Looks like 10 night cruises including Iceland:

http://www.faxafloahafnir.is/cruiseships/index.php?pid=1&w=v

http://www.port.is/index.php?pid=65&w=v

Reykjavik:

Celebrity Eclipse 3. May Thursday 13:00 24:00 Skarfabakki 312

Celebrity Eclipse 4. May Thursday 00:00 15:00 Skarfabakki 312

Celebrity Eclipse 13. May Sunday 13:00 24:00 Skarfabakki 312

Celebrity Eclipse 14. May Sunday 00:00 15:00

Celebrity Eclipse 31. May Thursday 13:00 24:00 Skarfabakki 312

Celebrity Eclipse 1. June Thursday 00:00 15:00 Skarfabakki 312

Akureyri:

Celebrity Eclipse 5. May Saturday 10:30 18:30 Akureyri

Celebrity Eclipse 2. June Saturday 10:30 18:30 Akureyri

Celebrity's decision could be as a result of the UK decision to leave the EU. Many foreign companies are considering moving so they can maintain un -hindered access to EU block. Not inconceivable that they and other cruise lines will move more of their operations to EU destinations.

Celebrity's decision could be as a result of the UK decision to leave the EU. Many foreign companies are considering moving so they can maintain un -hindered access to EU block. Not inconceivable that they and other cruise lines will move more of their operations to EU destinations.

That's a bit of a broad statement, but we won't get into the whole Brexit debate ;-)

Could it be that this will appeal to the American cruisers with the Irish connections etc. I can't see it being aimed at the UK cruisers - many of whom won't be finding it easy to get to Dublin to embark. I have to say, I always found the Silhouette one flying from Amsterdam a real pain to then come back to tour the UK. :rolleyes:

If I'm having to fly to get to the ship I'll fly somewhere in the Western or Eastern Med. Each to their own I suppose. I am just looking forward to seeing the new programme when it comes out.

That's a bit of a broad statement, but we won't get into the whole Brexit debate ;-)

Could it be that this will appeal to the American cruisers with the Irish connections etc. I can't see it being aimed at the UK cruisers - many of whom won't be finding it easy to get to Dublin to embark. I have to say, I always found the Silhouette one flying from Amsterdam a real pain to then come back to tour the UK. :rolleyes:

If I'm having to fly to get to the ship I'll fly somewhere in the Western or Eastern Med. Each to their own I suppose. I am just looking forward to seeing the new programme when it comes out.

You are kidding ??

Dublin is easier, quicker and cheaper for many UK cruisers to access than SOTON.

Yes the itineraries will not probably be Med-based but that is another plus for many.

Annie

Edited by anniegb