Does The Ruby Feel 10 Years Newer Than The Grand?

need2cruisesoon

Looking at booking at Ruby cruise over the next couple months. However I live in the SF Bay area and have just recently cruised the Grand and wasn't all that enamored.

(yes thats (Al Frescos) roped off because off plumbing issues).

DSC02761.jpg

Obviously the pier is only a 45 minute drive away so benefits of being close is favorable. But I'd be willing to make the 7 hour drive if it was worth sailing on the Ruby.

Will the Ruby feel like a much younger ship?

I think so. We too are just a BART ride and a short walk away from the Grand and so we have sailed on her and will again next year. We sailed on the Ruby a month or so ago for the first time and I felt there were subtle but noticeable differences. The atrium on the Grand just feels old to me. The buckets in the halls to catch drips probably added to that feeling. We will sail on the Grand again next year and probably in years to come simply because it is a convenient little get-away but if given a choice between the two ships I would always pick Ruby.

Most of the older Princess ships, to me, are more alike then different. One difference are the cabin closets on the Ruby. Much bigger then on the Grand. The dripping buckets were a negative for us but we still do like the Grand.

Edited by waltd

No, it won't. Most of he ships are pretty much standardized. You may see less rust or frayed carpets. The Ruby does have a central staircase and Skywalkers, which the Grand doesn't. If you want something newer, you'll have to fly to Ft. Lauderdale and sail on the Royal or Regal.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

While the Ruby is similar to the Grand there are some major differences besides age. On board experience and activities will be similar.

Ruby Differences:

*Larger closets, 6' vs. 3'

*No indoor pool, but two outdoor pools in the same area with one of them MUTS free.

*Skywalker's

*Adagio Lounge

*Share instead of Sabatini's

*Club Fusion instead of the Vista Show Lounge on the Grand. Thus extra shows, like comics, are in Explorer's Lounge

*No Alfredo's

*Larger Wheelhouse Bar with the Salty Dog Gastro Pub

*Dual section larger buffet area Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe

*500 additional passengers, but does not feel that crowded.

The Ruby is a lot nicer than the Grand. It does feel newer and it has the new beds. The One Five club on the Grand is okay, but the Skywalkers on the Ruby is a nicer venue.

I live north of Sacramento, so it's either a three hour drive to San Francisco or a short flight to LAX. I prefer flying and the parking is way cheaper at the Sacramento airport versus San Pedro or San Francisco.

I agree with others, that there are good things about the Ruby.

I have sailed on the Ruby and her sister, the Emerald.

There are also good things about the Grand.

I like the Grand's Vista Lounge, for alternative evening shows.

The Grand has Alfredo's and the newer, separate dessert area, at the buffet. Very classy! I love it.

The Grand still has Sabatini's, which I prefer over Share on the Ruby/Emerald. I realize that many here like Share. It is a matter of personal preference.

I like the Grand's real wood, on the Promenade deck, which is less slippery when wet than the laminate surface on the newer ships.

I will sail on the Ruby/Emerald again, depending on itinerary. I have two cruises scheduled on the Grand, for 2017 (Hawaii and Alaska).

I do notice the extra 500 passengers on the Ruby/Emerald. The disembarkations seem much more chaotic, to me.

YES.

I'm a never say never person, but I doubt I will sail on the Grand again.

Added: I actually prefer older ships, but the Grand is just not in good shape and I don't think they can fix the problems. Some people don't seem to mind.

Edited by KruzPrincess

Are there any differences between the Mini-Suites on Grand and Ruby ? We have sailed in Emerald deck Mini suite on Grand (love the Emerald deck) and will soon be Emerald deck Mini on Ruby.

The "stock" photos seem to make all the mini suites look the same regardless of ship. Thanks !

Are there any differences between the Mini-Suites on Grand and Ruby ? We have sailed in Emerald deck Mini suite on Grand (love the Emerald deck) and will soon be Emerald deck Mini on Ruby.

The "stock" photos seem to make all the mini suites look the same regardless of ship. Thanks !

I believe they are the same.

Decor may be a little different.

I can't compare the Ruby to the Grand because I haven't been on it, but I have been on the Grand, Emerald (1 year older than the Ruby and her sister) as well as the new Royal and Regal. Though the Grand does feel much older with sagging sofa cushions, water buckets, etc, we still had a blast on her and would sale her again. We do prefer the newer ships, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't speak to the Grand, but I sailed on the Golden (newer than the Grand) and the Ruby less than a year apart, and the Golden definitely felt older and worn. The Ruby did feel more crowded due to the extra passenger deck, but seemed much newer and in better repair.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

I think so. We too are just a BART ride and a short walk away from the Grand and so we have sailed on her and will again next year. We sailed on the Ruby a month or so ago for the first time and I felt there were subtle but noticeable differences. The atrium on the Grand just feels old to me. The buckets in the halls to catch drips probably added to that feeling. We will sail on the Grand again next year and probably in years to come simply because it is a convenient little get-away but if given a choice between the two ships I would always pick Ruby.

We were on the same cruise, we didn't see any buckets. We think the Grand is a Grand old lady.

The Grand's Atrium was completely gutted and redone when they also removed Skywalkers. I found the Atrium a bit nicer than on the Ruby.

Also the desserts on the outside of buffet nicer.

Now the cabins a different story. For longer cruises, that closet is half the size of other Princess ships.

Didn't miss not having the mid ship stairs as we had an aft area cabin.

Still enjoyed the ship, staff, food , entertainment. We were on the Grand this past summer for 20 days (B2B Alaska). Never felt crowded.

We have been frequent Ruby Princess cruisers and always enjoy sailing on her.

YES.

I'm a never say never person, but I doubt I will sail on the Grand again.

Added: I actually prefer older ships, but the Grand is just not in good shape and I don't think they can fix the problems. Some people don't seem to mind.

We feel the same way about the Grand.

We've sailed on the Ruby at least 10 times, the last being an Alaskan cruise in late May. She's still in great shape, and we'd book her again without hesitation.