Super hypochondriac! Please walk me through cruise security!!

So I have OCD (yes, actual ocd!) and it manifests in hypochondria and also fears of my personal safety. I've been able to get past it and thrive by making sure I'm super educated and not being taken by surprise. I dont' like to take medications so I'm happy to have kept this at bay by myself.

Whenever I fly I get completely unreasonably freaked out by the xray machines like the backscatter. I panic and it's very difficult to shut out the fears that I will get cancer from being exposed to xrays. I always let the airport know that I cannot go through those machines and I end up with a very invasive search but it helps my anxiety to avoid it. When I've cruised in the past we just had to put our bags through an xray machine and then be patted down. I'm going through Ft. Lauderdale. Can anyone walk me through what they do and what to expect? Having a lot of information makes it easier for me to cope. Thank you so much!!

Cruise ports do not use body scanners. All you have to do is walk through a metal dectector. The worst that will happen is that they will use a wand to search you which is pretty much just waved over you. Luggage goes through x-rays and won't be opened unless you have something they want to see. In Baltimore a couple of weeks ago, we had to open our bag and show them our bottles of wine. They won't open or touch anything of yours or touch you.

You've cruised before and you think they pat you down? They don't. They will ask you to show them anything that sets off an alarm. Belt buckles, or other small items (change, etc) will set off the alarm sometimes but then they just wand you and ask you to show them when they get an alarm.

Edited by BND

Cruise ports do not use body scanners. All you have to do is walk through a metal dectector. The worst that will happen is that they will use a wand to search you which is pretty much just waved over you. Luggage goes through x-rays and won't be opened unless you have something they want to see. In Baltimore a couple of weeks ago, we had to open our bag and show them our bottles of wine. They won't open or touch anything of yours or touch you.

You've cruised before and you think they pat you down? They don't. They will ask you to show them anything that sets off an alarm. Belt buckles, or other small items (change, etc) will set off the alarm sometimes but then they just wand you and ask you to show them when they get an alarm.

Thank you. I think I confused the wand with a pat down. It's a stumbling block to go through life with this but info is my friend! Thank you!

You'll also be glad to know that the x-ray backscatter machines were all removed from US airports several years ago. The body scanners that are there now use millimeter waves, which are very high frequency radio signals that (unlike x-rays) are not capable of ionizing atoms. They were removed because the vendor did not meet the deadline for providing software to flag concealed objects on a generic human outline rather than displaying revealing pictures of the individual.

port Everglades is participating in the new US Customs App. I recommend you download it and scan your passports. Then, you can fill out the customs deflation form upon arrival and skip most of the massive line on dembarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't go thru metal detector or be scanned so they have to pat me down. I do not find it invasive in any way. Would be nice if a handsome young man were assigned the task instead of an overweight woman. Oh well, in my dreams.

What was the famous saying, "you have nothing to fear but fear itself." Or something like than.

I can somewhat understand because I have to have a balcony. No enclosed cabin for me....freak me out.

It's a stumbling block to go through life with this but info is my friend!

You are correct that info is the best medicine but then you should trust and realize that the security equipment used has no harmful effect and there's nothing to fear - well, unless you are one of those folks that think cell phones give you brain cancer.

Can this Pass Port App be downloaded to an I Pad. My husband & I haven't gone hi tech when it comes to phones and just have Cell Phones.

Since it is available in the App Store, I would think so.

Didn't realize terminal 18 was the only choice. The port was pushing it, so that is a surprise to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is nothing out of the ordinary with security at ports....it's actually LESS than the airports!

You may need counseling...and therapy....not judging...just saying! This it our world nowadays... deal with it..or don't travel!...It is what it is.

There is nothing out of the ordinary with security at ports....it's actually LESS than the airports!

You may need counseling...and therapy....not judging...just saying! This it our world nowadays... deal with it..or don't travel!...It is what it is.

Counseling and therapy aren't too helpful when it comes to this kind of OCD. The only thing that really helps is having lots of info and education on the situations which can cause anxiety. I travel all over including more than cruising so I'm all good! I just have to find out what I'm in for anxiety wise before I go, hence my questions. I don't let things limit me but thank you for the info!

The security theatre is much less intense on a ship; arguably they're really only looking for contraband the presence of which may reduce their takings.

I have a hunka metal Citizen watch that never fails to set off the airport metal detectors. Forgot to pull it off last time before getting on the ship.... no problem.

Also remember whenever you return to the ship they will send your bags and hats thru a xray machine and have you walk thru a simple xray. If its beeps they just ask you show them what is setting it off. If you refuse to go thru the machine I assume they will wand all over your body. Defiantly not as complete as the TSA. You will be wanded to the side of the line in public no private screening rooms I have ever seen.

They will make you take off any hats and sunglasses, so you might want to store them in your bag before you get to the ship entry point. Instead of using the trays that get used over and over.

They are looking for liquids so dump all your water before returning to ship.

Thank you so much for so many really kind and respectful responses! I know I SHOULD be able to realize that I'll be fine and I want to lol! Unfortunately this disorder gives you intrusive, compulsive (ie: sooo irritating and will not stop creeping into your mind) thoughts that are totally unreasonable but give you major anxiety anyway. I mean, I'm sure logically someone knows that they will not die if they step on a crack but to someone with ocd the anxiety they feel if they step on a crack is debilitating regardless. It's not only frustrating because of the time it takes to deal with this disorder (like having to ask my friendly CCers and expose myself to a racist/sexist response last night) but also because in lucid moments you KNOW that the source of anxiety is ridiculous but it doesn't seem to connect to your anxiety.

Anyway, anxiety won't kill me and travel will enrich me so I do it anyway. I'm very lucky to not be affected in major ways by this. What I have is very 'doable' in the sense of just working through it without professional help. I really appreciate all the responses and thanks for helping to soothe my anxiety!! :D:D

Edited by luckyprincess

You'll also be glad to know that the x-ray backscatter machines were all removed from US airports several years ago. The body scanners that are there now use millimeter waves, which are very high frequency radio signals that (unlike x-rays) are not capable of ionizing atoms. They were removed because the vendor did not meet the deadline for providing software to flag concealed objects on a generic human outline rather than displaying revealing pictures of the individual.

Also had to do with the ability to be able to hide things on the side of your body... the new scanners still have their flaws...

Thank you. I think I confused the wand with a pat down.

Trust me- if you've ever had a true security pat down, you wouldn't confuse it with being wanded. The two are VERY different.

Since it is available in the App Store, I would think so.

Just being available in the app store doesn't mean an app works for both iphone and ipad. They are usually different versions and I have had several apps for iphone that didn't have an ipad version available.

I too suffer from major anxiety and OCD. My triggers are not the same as yours but I definitely understand the "pain" of anxiety. I have done like you, I choose to educate and rely on myself to make the anxiety better, do not like to overmedicate.

My two main triggers are being a passenger in a car and germs. If I am the passenger I am extremely tense and make all sorts of noises and tell the driver repeatedly how to drive lol. A big anxiety set off for me is being in the middle lane, I cannot have cars on both sides of me. With germs, they seem to only bother me on people's hands (I do not touch hands unless it is completely unavailable) and restroom surfaces (YIKES!!).

I have learned to carry Clorox wipes in my carryon bag so that as soon as I can get in my room on the ship, I sterilize the every surface of the bathroom and repeat daily during the cruise. It is a bit much, I know, but it keeps my anxiety lower and is worth it to me.

I too suffer from major anxiety and OCD. My triggers are not the same as yours but I definitely understand the "pain" of anxiety. I have done like you, I choose to educate and rely on myself to make the anxiety better, do not like to overmedicate.

My two main triggers are being a passenger in a car and germs. If I am the passenger I am extremely tense and make all sorts of noises and tell the driver repeatedly how to drive lol. A big anxiety set off for me is being in the middle lane, I cannot have cars on both sides of me. With germs, they seem to only bother me on people's hands (I do not touch hands unless it is completely unavailable) and restroom surfaces (YIKES!!).

I have learned to carry Clorox wipes in my carryon bag so that as soon as I can get in my room on the ship, I sterilize the every surface of the bathroom and repeat daily during the cruise. It is a bit much, I know, but it keeps my anxiety lower and is worth it to me.

Thank you! :) I'm glad I'm not the only one jumping those hurdles! It's so worth it though! I can't imagine letting ocd keep me from traveling or doing things I love

To the OP. You say you like education so I thought I would impart some wisdom on x-ray machines - not the body scanners but the luggage ones. States have rules regarding the testing of the machines. In Oregon, I have to have it tested yearly to ensure that no x-rays are leaking from the cabinet. I also have to pay the state for a "license" to have one. They can show up anytime and test the machine and check for safety plans and emergency procedures. Each operator must be trained and tested. The only exposure you are likely to have is if your hand goes past the curtains in the tunnel. The x-rays aren't constant when the belt is running. Once the machine detects something in the tunnel, the x-ray will come on, as evidenced by the lights on the corners of the unit. Well, for Smith Heimann units anyway. You won't have any exposure as long as you place your bags on the belt and collect them at the other end on the exit rollers. If something is too light to pass through the curtains, let them nudge it through so you won't chance exposure.

And as a side note to folks that think rum runners can't be seen, they glow bright orange! :eek:

To the OP. You say you like education so I thought I would impart some wisdom on x-ray machines - not the body scanners but the luggage ones. States have rules regarding the testing of the machines. In Oregon, I have to have it tested yearly to ensure that no x-rays are leaking from the cabinet. I also have to pay the state for a "license" to have one. They can show up anytime and test the machine and check for safety plans and emergency procedures. Each operator must be trained and tested. The only exposure you are likely to have is if your hand goes past the curtains in the tunnel. The x-rays aren't constant when the belt is running. Once the machine detects something in the tunnel, the x-ray will come on, as evidenced by the lights on the corners of the unit. Well, for Smith Heimann units anyway. You won't have any exposure as long as you place your bags on the belt and collect them at the other end on the exit rollers. If something is too light to pass through the curtains, let them nudge it through so you won't chance exposure.

And as a side note to folks that think rum runners can't be seen, they glow bright orange! :eek:

Thanks! I don't know much about luggage scanners so I appreciate the info.