Drink package Cheaters??

carlp

To imply you do not have ethics is silly, I think what people are trying to point out is that you (and others) are laser focused on one ethical dilemma while turning a blind eye to another similar problem.

You are breaking a rule because you are violating a known written policy of the cruise line, one that is frequently overlooked by RC (but not always).

Yes! Thank you... you've put my thoughts to words exactly! The individuals who get their panties in a bunch the most about this "issue" are the same ones who happily ignore other rules because to them its no big deal. Get off your high horses. Just because some poor guy (who depends on your tips, btw so they have a vested interest in not pissing you off) carrying your water to your room don't stop you from doing it doesn't make it any more "right". Rationalize all you want.

I honestly don't see the point of discussing it. The people who cheat, are not going to be swayed by arguments made by the people who do not cheat. They will continue to do it until they get caught - and they will get caught, eventually. And if the cheaters do make RCI have to change their policy on everyone over 21 getting the package in a stateroom, there's nothing I can do about that, because refer back to my second sentence, the cheaters are not going to stop cheating because people try to reason with them and tell them to stop doing it because it's wrong and against the rules because they already KNOW without being told that it's wrong and are doing it regardless

So really, discussing it just is a good excuse to get out popcorn and good memes

And I'm just going to worry about myself, my moral code and actions, and hope others do the same.

Edited by aubreyc1988

I honestly don't see the point of discussing it. The people who cheat, are not going to be swayed by arguments made by the people who do not cheat. They will continue to do it until they get caught - and they will get caught, eventually. And if the cheaters do make RCI have to change their policy on everyone over 21 getting the package in a stateroom, there's nothing I can do about that, because refer back to my second sentence, the cheaters are not going to stop cheating because people try to reason with them and tell them to stop doing it because it's wrong and against the rules because they already KNOW without being told that it's wrong and are doing it regardless

So really, discussing it just is a good excuse to get out popcorn and good memes

And I'm just going to worry about myself, my moral code and actions, and hope others do the same.

You win the internet today.:)

Once I overheard a bartender being questioned by a supervisor about a passenger's consumption. Apparently he was averaging 30 drinks a day. :eek:The bartender told his supervisor that everyone in the passenger's party also had the drink package so he didn't think he was sharing. That's some serious drinking.

I liked that bartender, nice guy. I thought his supervisor was out of line. You should have said hi, I would have bought you a drink.

Once I overheard a bartender being questioned by a supervisor about a passenger's consumption. Apparently he was averaging 30 drinks a day. :eek:The bartender told his supervisor that everyone in the passenger's party also had the drink package so he didn't think he was sharing. That's some serious drinking.

I'm pretty sure that was me.

I agree with GadgetGod and apocalyps3. People are picking and choosing their grey areas but balking when others do the same!

If integrity isn't part time, if integrity is doing the right thing (even when no one's watching), then why is it ok to break a rule simply because isn't enforced? The rule is the rule. The fact that the rule isn't enforced shouldn't be a license to break it. You're still breaking the rule. You're just not being held accountable. If the rule is 'you're not supposed to bring on your own water or soda' why even put them in the position to have to confiscate yours? If integrity isn't part time, then shouldn't a person of integrity just leave the water/soda at home because that's the rule? Integrity doesn't 'see what it can get away with.'

Wouldn't RC need to increase the price of bottled water to make a profit from the people who DO buy the water on board, to offset the loss of revenue from the people who bring their own?

Why is it ok for RC to lose money on bottled water, but not on soda or alcohol?

I agree with GadgetGod and apocalyps3. People are picking and choosing their grey areas but balking when others do the same!

If integrity isn't part time, if integrity is doing the right thing (even when no one's watching), then why is it ok to break a rule simply because isn't enforced? The rule is the rule. The fact that the rule isn't enforced shouldn't be a license to break it. You're still breaking the rule. You're just not being held accountable. If the rule is 'you're not supposed to bring on your own water or soda' why even put them in the position to have to confiscate yours? If integrity isn't part time, then shouldn't a person of integrity just leave the water/soda at home because that's the rule? Integrity doesn't 'see what it can get away with.'

Wouldn't RC need to increase the price of bottled water to make a profit from the people who DO buy the water on board, to offset the loss of revenue from the people who bring their own?

Why is it ok for RC to lose money on bottled water, but not on soda or alcohol?

1. If I have a package that allows me to consume unlimited water on the ship, and I bring my own in addition, they are not losing money. They're actually making MORE money because I am bringing something that I've already paid them for. (This does, however, raise the same dilemma with bringing alcohol on board if you've paid for the premium package. I can see that as the same issue.)
  2. Bringing water on board is not taking something I did not pay for.
  3. I never try to HIDE the fact that I bring it on board. I do it very openly and let them know I am perfectly fine should they wish to confiscate it. People only hide their actions when they know full well that what they're doing is wrong.
  4. There are actual laws against taking things you didn't pay for (aka theft). There are no laws against carrying a case of water to the port and asking them if it can be taken to your cabin.
  5. I am okay with whatever consequences Royal decides to impose if I do break a rule. You won't see me on the boards complaining about losing a $3.00 case of water. You will, however, see complaints if someone has their drink package privileges canceled, is refused service or worse. If you ARE going to break a rule OR a law, you have to be prepared to suffer whatever consequences come with that.

I know many disagree with me, but I do not see the two as the same issue at all. One is breaking a law (yeah - I know international waters, different laws, etc. But, theft is pretty universally against the law.) while the other is breaking a rule. Or, if you happen to be religious, one is breaking a commandment while the other is not.

Edited by payitforward

1. If I have a package that allows me to consume unlimited water on the ship, and I bring my own in addition, they are not losing money. They're actually making MORE money because I am bringing something that I've already paid them for. (This does, however, raise the same dilemma with bringing alcohol on board if you've paid for the premium package. I can see that as the same issue.)
  3. I never try to HIDE the fact that I bring it on board. I do it very openly and let them know I am perfectly fine should they wish to confiscate it. People only hide their actions when they know full well that what they're doing is wrong.
  4. There are actual laws against taking things you didn't pay for (aka theft). There are no laws against carrying a case of water to the port and asking them if it can be taken to your cabin.
  5. I am okay with whatever consequences Royal decides to impose if I do break a rule. You won't see me on the boards complaining about losing a $3.00 case of water. You will, however, see complaints if someone has their drink package privileges canceled, is refused service or worse. If you ARE going to break a rule OR a law, you have to be prepared to suffer whatever consequences come with that.

I know many disagree with me, but I do not see the two as the same issue at all. One is breaking a law (yeah - I know international waters, different laws, etc. But, theft is pretty universally against the law.) while the other is breaking a rule. Or, if you happen to be religious, one is breaking a commandment while the other is not.

I for one agree with you. Both are not the right thing to do but I see a difference in them. Since Royal refuses to follow their so called "rules" people don't. Is bringing water onboard hurting them, obviously not if they allow it. On the other hand taking something you haven't paid for . . . .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Why would you schlep your own bottled water if you have a package that gives you unlimited water? That's not who's typically carrying it on board.

I prefer to carry my own water on, with my purchased drink package, because I have chronic kidney stones. Having both calcium and uric acid kidney stones requires me to drink at least 3 liters of water a day. As I have said, I would have to drink way to many of those little bottles to hit my quota. Anything less than at least 2 liters of water a day makes it very difficult to pass the stones and then it requires at least 2 surgeries to pass them....

Edited by LilBlackDress

I am totally new to all of this but I also agree this post wins the internet. I purchased a drink package for my husband and myself. Why spend a bunch of time and effort skirting the rules. I kind of like to enjoy a beverage WITH my husband at an onboard bar. Scrimping here and there and furtively skirting the rules seems so counterproductive to a nice vacation.

I'm curious... do you speed? That's breaking a law. I assume everyone who has "integrity all the time" never goes even one mph over the speed limit.

It doesn't matter how much moral/ethical equivocation some use to argue as to why it's not wrong. It still goes against the agreement that has been made with RCI. It's only a matter of time til the prices go up again and/or RCI reverts back to all in the cabin must purchase.

As for the comments about "do you speed"?, etc. That is comparing apples to oranges. Theft is a criminal act. Speeding is a traffic violation which can become a criminal act through blatant disregard for the law.

BTW, when you accuse someone of "judging", you're judging them lol.

Edited by BND

As for the comments about "do you speed"?, etc. That is comparing apples to oranges. Theft is a criminal act. Speeding is a traffic violation which can become a criminal act through blatant disregard for the law.

Speeding and theft are both against the law. The worst thing that can happen to me if someone shares a drink package is I have to spend more money. The worst thing than can happen to me if someone speeds is death.

I don't think people should share drink packages. But acting all up in arms when people do it, and then ignore other rules/laws because they're not convenient is hypocrisy.