Drink package Cheaters??

carlp

I was just reading a thread where the passenger received an email with stated boarding times. They were upset about it since they always arrived earlier than the email time. Every person who responded pretty much said to ignore the email and arrive early. So, policies regarding what time to arrive for a certain group of people can be ignored - but policies on sharing beverages are gospel? I can see how it would be a big advantage to the staff to have all people/luggage for a particular deck to arrive in the same time frame. But it seems no one (well, no one chimed in against it) cares about that.

Oh, come on. How can you possibly compare the two. The boarding time email has never been a mandate and besides that, it is not a policy, it is an attempt to manage the boarding process and avoid long lines.

If taking more than one bottle of water on a shore excursion with my family is cheating, then I think I will be cheating.

I have never had a drink package before, so I am not even sure where or when I can get bottled water to take ashore.

I don't think the OP was looking to judge, just looking to have fun. It always amuses me to read peoples rationalizations on cheating the system. Sneaking alcohol on board is my favourite to read about.

If taking more than one bottle of water on a shore excursion with my family is cheating, then I think I will be cheating.

I have never had a drink package before, so I am not even sure where or when I can get bottled water to take ashore.

I don't think the OP was looking to judge, just looking to have fun. It always amuses me to read peoples rationalizations on cheating the system. Sneaking alcohol on board is my favourite to read about.

They usually have water available as you disembark. I have no idea how many bottles they let you get on your package, though.

Oh, damn! Is that illegal too? How about a case of bottled water? Don't forget the fan I bring every cruise...

People keep saying it drives the price up, please explain that statement. I actually LOSE money on the deal because I only buy it for the access to the Freestyle machines. I get it, if 2 people share and both really use it, but you are making big assumptions. Live your life as you wish, and stop judging others.

Ok, I'll "explain that statement." Royal Caribbean is the one of the only cruise lines that allows only one adult in a cabin to purchase the Drink Package. On most other cruise lines ALL adults in a cabin are required to purchase the Drink Package, or no one can have it. So, if you keep sharing, Royal Caribbean will simply return to the everyone or no one policy. That affects ME and MY bottom line.

Does that clear it up for you?

Why would you post a thread like this? :confused:

If you're going to do it, just shut up and do it. Don't draw attention to yourself and don't cause a bunch of controversy on internet message boards :rolleyes:

DH and I both have packages for our cruise. Cheating is wrong, It isn't worth it to get caught, and they were on sale.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Not the same, I know, but sometimes I will let my wife have a sip of my drink just so she can see how it tastes. BUT: we both have the package, so there's no additional cost to RCI. I also like being able to "take a chance" on an exotic-sounding drink that I might not consider if paying out of pocket. For me that more than justifies the ( 30% discounted) unlimited beverage package. I'd never pay full price, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do all my drinking in the dl, but find it interesting that rum running (sneaking your own liquor aboard) is a time honored tradition, but sharing a drink package is an offense punishable by keelhauling.

I don't think that is a time honored tradition. It just isn't discussed or done as much since more cruise lines started having drink packages.

Ok, I'll "explain that statement." Royal Caribbean is the one of the only cruise lines that allows only one adult in a cabin to purchase the Drink Package. On most other cruise lines ALL adults in a cabin are required to purchase the Drink Package, or no one can have it. So, if you keep sharing, Royal Caribbean will simply return to the everyone or no one policy. That affects ME and MY bottom line.

Does that clear it up for you?

Well put! Thank you

I was just reading a thread where the passenger received an email with stated boarding times. They were upset about it since they always arrived earlier than the email time. Every person who responded pretty much said to ignore the email and arrive early. So, policies regarding what time to arrive for a certain group of people can be ignored - but policies on sharing beverages are gospel? I can see how it would be a big advantage to the staff to have all people/luggage for a particular deck to arrive in the same time frame. But it seems no one (well, no one chimed in against it) cares about that.

Oh, come on. How can you possibly compare the two. The boarding time email has never been a mandate and besides that, it is not a policy, it is an attempt to manage the boarding process and avoid long lines.

I think the better example of this dichotomy is the suggestion I have heard many people offer that it is ok to bring bottled water or soda on at boarding. The rule is clear, it is prohibited and like sharing the soda package it is presumably taking some money out of RC's pocket. But I have never seen the backlash over that suggestion that sharing the drink package invokes. I was surprised to read so many people talk about bringing cases of water on board, with the only warning being that RC may choose to start to enforce the rule. I have never been able to understand the divide of opinion on these two seemingly similar policies.

I think the better example of this dichotomy is the suggestion I have heard many people offer that it is ok to bring bottled water or soda on at boarding. The rule is clear, it is prohibited and like sharing the soda package it is presumably taking some money out of RC's pocket. But I have never seen the backlash over that suggestion that sharing the drink package invokes. I was surprised to read so many people talk about bringing cases of water on board, with the only warning being that RC may choose to start to enforce the rule. I have never been able to understand the divide of opinion on these two seemingly similar policies.

Maybe the difference is it is known that RCI doesn't enforce the "no bringing water on board" vs they do enforce the "no sharing"?

The answer for us is no. It's a simple matter of ethics. You either have them or you don't. Those who don't usually scream the loudest trying to justify their actions. The math is simple as well. If you can't justify it, don't buy it.

Maybe the difference is it is known that RCI doesn't enforce the "no bringing water on board" vs they do enforce the "no sharing"?

I don't think it is, people are using words like "cheater', "thief", and "unethical". Enforcement does not effect any of those.

I don't think it is, people are using words like "cheater', "thief", and "unethical". Enforcement does not effect any of those.

Sure it does. If they choose not to enforce their own water policy, I'm certainly not cheating them if I bring water on board. Last time I sailed I even asked them before I boarded if it was OK to bring 12 bottles of water. They said it was fine and offered to bring it to my room for me. I don't think I'd get the same response if I asked them if I can share my drink package.

We always only buy one package and share,$13 for a vodka and coke,who is the thief here ?

Why didn't you say so? If it's $13 obviously stealing it is fine. One time I stole a diamond ring, but when I told the cops the markup was over 100% on diamonds, they said I was free to go. *

* This is sarcasm, obviously I'm not saying these 2 acts are equal.

Edited by BamaGuy44

Why didn't you say so? If it's $13 obviously stealing it is fine. One time I stole a diamond ring, but when I told the cops the markup was over 100% on diamonds, they said I was free to go. *

* This is sarcasm, obviously I'm not saying these 2 acts are equal.

Darn, no "Like" button.

I purchase the drink/soda/water package, but prefer to bring some water/soda on board so that I have something I can easily grab in my cabin. Each bottle I bring on board is one that I am not getting on my unlimited drink package. Therefore, I'm actually saving the cruise line money by bringing water/soda on board. However, if I didn't pay for the drink package, bringing it on board would be taking money out of the cruise line's pocket.

Sure it does. If they choose not to enforce their own water policy, I'm certainly not cheating them if I bring water on board. Last time I sailed I even asked them before I boarded if it was OK to bring 12 bottles of water. They said it was fine and offered to bring it to my room for me. I don't think I'd get the same response if I asked them if I can share my drink package.

It's interesting, when I spoke to RC they said the company policy was "no water, no soda" could be brought on the ship and pointed me to the written policy on the website. Just as you can get different answers when speaking to representatives on other issues, it seems like sometime you get someone that allows something that is clearly against company policy (no water, no soda is their written and confirmed policy).

Honestly, I do not care if people carry on water, nor do I care if people share their drink package. What bothers me (my original response) is that people are so quick to use harsh language against others on one policy violation, while encouraging a different type of similar violation. The point remains, both are direct violations of written policy of the cruise line, and lack of enforcement does not equate authorization.

I just had a client in my office today, looking at 1 year in jail, and his argument was similar, his crime is rarely enforced. My answer was similar, the limited enforcement does not remove the fact that it is still a crime.