On a budget... advice please.

Csardas

I cruised on both Oceania (26 days on Insignia) and Queen Mary (TA in August) this year. If food is of great importance to you, Oceania wins easily. Some here seemed happy with food in Brittania; I thought it was awful. Upside of Cunard for me were some wonderful lectures, truly intellectually engaging, a concert pianist who gave a series of recitals, and some phenomenal jazz musicians. Karaoke in the Lions Pub was a riot. I was out dancing in the nightclub most nights till almost sunrise. None of those things are found on an Oceania cruise. I had a fabulous completely new cabin on QM which even had 9 foot ceilings. (a solo ocean view on deck 2) I like the verandah cabins on the R ships as well. Neither ship had what I felt was a very well designed experience for passengers outdoors. On Insignia, the promenade deck rarely had chairs set out, despite nice weather. Nor were chairs out on Deck 11. Much of the outdoor space on QM is so high up and midship, and there's very little feeling of being at sea. The fore decks where the pools are were quite crowded. If your itinerary is port intensive may also help you make this decision. I love days at sea, and feel the experience is just nicer on a smaller ship. With a port intensive cruise, you may also consider the efficacy of getting on and off the ship, and potential "class" distinctions made on Cunard with your place in line. Hope this helps a bit.

The fore decks where the pools are were quite crowded. If your itinerary is port intensive may also help you make this decision. I love days at sea, and feel the experience is just nicer on a smaller ship. With a port intensive cruise, you may also consider the efficacy of getting on and off the ship, and potential "class" distinctions made on Cunard with your place in line. Hope this helps a bit.

Queen-Mary-2-aerial-Aft-view-1024x722.jpg

The pools on the QM2 are on the aft decks (i.e at the back of the ship) as opposed to the fore decks (which indicates a position at the front of the ship)

ShipboardDirections.gif

Someone mentioned that there's no good place on Oceania ships to get a non-glass view of what's ahead. I'm not crazy about that either, but at least I've found a few places up top that work pretty well for photography, although not necessarily with seats or loungers. My favorite place on Marina (larger ship) is up top in the back near the fish sculpture, where you can see quite a bit ahead, be sheltered by the smokestack if it's windy, and move to either side quickly if you see something coming on on that side you want to see more of and/or photograph. On the smaller ships, there are a couple similar places - also in the back of the ship (center, top deck, or on Terrace if it's not being used for meals).

Of course, there's always the Horizons lounge or the bow cam view shown on the TV in your room, but of course, those are behind glass.

Edited by roothy123

Someone mentioned that there's no good place on Oceania ships to get a non-glass view of what's ahead. I'm not crazy about that either, but at least I've found a few places up top that work pretty well for photography, although not necessarily with seats or loungers. My favorite place on Marina (larger ship) is up top in the back near the fish sculpture, where you can see quite a bit ahead, be sheltered by the smokestack if it's windy, and move to either side quickly if you see something coming on on that side you want to see more of and/or photograph. On the smaller ships, there are a couple similar places - also in the back of the ship (center, top deck, or on Terrace if it's not being used for meals).

Of course, there's always the Horizons lounge or the bow cam view shown on the TV in your room, but of course, those are behind glass.

I'm pretty sure on the R ships the open area at the aft of the ship is a crew only area. It's above Polo & Toscana and there is no public access to it.

Perhaps you were talking about the walkways along either side at the rear on deck 10 going past the library.

If a person really wants an unobstructed forward view there is always the Vista suites. Pretty pricey view though.

• 2 weeks later...
We're in Scotland so don't think I've ever seen a TA offering included tips! Read up about the dress code so we wouldn't take the Formal stuff. It's very difficult to compare intangibles like atmosphere, sociability etc. Forgot to mention that we never go to the theatre entertainments-not important to us.

From one Scot to another Oceania all the way for me. I've not been on Cunard but usually cruise Celebrity so similar. It also depends if you want a 10 night or 14 night cruise.

I would Choose the OBC perk as it will pay for all your alcohol and more. The drink perk as only for wine and beer at lunch and dinner.

Oceania's food, especially the sea food, is amazing.

Speciality restaurants are free on Oceania not on Cunard.

All non alcoholic drinks are free on Oceania but not on Cunard.

Oceania have two happy hours every day. :)

Both have Laundry rooms.

No queues on Oceania in buffet, bars, while in port etc.

Oceania's entertainment is not great.

No formal nights, just country casual but we still dressed smartly.

Oceania have tranquility beds which are amazing. So comfortable and the best sleep ever.

As the ships are small they are very sociable. Staff remember you.

If your flights are with Oceania you can ask for a reduction in price and book your own flights, if it works out cheaper. We are booked to sail from NYC but did not want to take Oceania's flights as they wouldn't be direct. Oceania reduced our cruise price by over £700 each! I can book the two of us for approx £700 and will use the rest towards staying in NYC for several nights, win win.

Give Oceania a try, but enjoy whichever one you choose.

Edited by Issyalex

They may have different rules/offers in the UK than in North America

The rules are so different.

We, in the UK, cannot book several cruises then cancel without loosing our deposits or more if nearer departure date. We usually just receive the cruise offered perks from our TA's. Sadly We don't have the clout that Americans have.

Bear in mind that originally (going back to Renaissance days) virtually all of the passengers were from North America. On our last Renaissance cruise (May 2001) there were a handful of Europeans on board but that was really a first for us.

Gradually Oceania has welcomed more and more non-North Americans on board ... BUT I think we still get the greatest benefit from perks.

It may not be fair (!) but Oceania IS a U.S. firm (despite the ships' registry).

Mura

If the quality of food is important to you Oceania is far better than Cunard (I'm presently on the Regatta). Cunard is nice, we are "Diamond" on Cunard, but for the last two years have been cruising exclusively on Oceania. Smaller ships, outstanding beds/linens, wonderful spa, excellent coffee, I could go on. One area where Cunard is better is with the entertainment. We love the enrichment lectures and many of the shows on all three of the Cunard ships.

We did two cruises on the QE2, one a NY round trip to the Caribbean, the other a Southampton-NY cruise. We enjoyed them although I agree that in general we prefer Oceania. (Obviously these two cruises were a long time ago, I think in 2003 and 2004.)

The entertainment was wonderful and varied, as were the lectures. It's hard to beat Cunard in this area, I think. (We haven't been on Royal Caribbean, Carnival and the like, so we're not trying to compare them in this context.)

Mura

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks all. I've added to the Cunard price what we spent this July, costed the upgraded drinks package for Oceania and added tips to both. I like Formal nights so happy to take evening dresses, dinner suit etc.

I know we could have a balcony on other lines but I've read and read and they just don't appeal.

Because the two lines seem very different experiences I was wondering if anyone had been on both.

I have been on both and both were enjoyable. O goes to some of the more remote places -- Like that alot. Itinerary is very personal but we like O because they are different. Food is excellent. Entertainment not so much. Rooms are small. Queen Mary II was very fancy and stiff. Has a great dance floor and gentleman dance partners. I loved the history of the line that was available in displays. Lecturers were pretty learned. I did not care for being singled out as in a "lower class" than others. Just American me -- thinking someone else got more -- paid more I know! We caught a real deal on Cunard but most of the time O maybe cheaper but there are good cruises on many lines that are cheaper than both. I like O small ship size and I am a fan of R2 ships in general. Hope this helps. I would be giving more weight to itinerary. Other things are personal choice/or don't matter that much though for some folks matters a great deal as reflected in their comments.

Csardas, we have been on both but our Cunard experience is very old since we did two cruises on the QE2 -- which is more than 10 years ago.

Still, we preferred Oceania. (Not that we didn't enjoy the QE2 experience.) But we don't care for the formal nights along with the extra luggage that entails. And while many think Oceania has class differences (I won't deny that it does to an extent), it was far more evident on Cunard.

I'd go with the itinerary if you are choosing between the two lines. I'm assuming that the general experience on Cunard today is what we encountered in 2004. If I'm wrong ...

Yes, entertainment was far superior on Cunard! If that is important to you, it's a serious consideration.

Mura

Bowiememe.How were you singled out as being lower class?.What does that mean?

The grills suites are in a seperate area,admittedly,but the dining is all in that same area and unseen by any other passengers..Other than that how would you know who is Grills?

I feel that Oceania could also exude a class system,with different coloured cabin cards,Gold being a suite..

Bowiememe.How were you singled out as being lower class?.What does that mean?

The grills suites are in a seperate area,admittedly,but the dining is all in that same area and unseen by any other passengers..Other than that how would you know who is Grills?

I feel that Oceania could also exude a class system,with different coloured cabin cards,Gold being a suite..

Not Bowie, but bear in mind that there is a class system on Cunard even within Grill class.

social-mobility_1454493c.jpg

Queens Grill Passengers won't thank you to be lumped in with the Princess Grill muck.

james-troley-white.jpg

Let's face it-

Either one can live without the jam trolley, or one cannot- :rolleyes:

OMG let's not start that conversation again :eek:

Who really cares what colour your card is ???

OMG let's not start that conversation again :eek

Who really cares what colour your card is ???

And who really cares if you are in an inside cabin or not?

Flipperty jip,calm down..

I only asked why someone felt they were singled out as lower class,just because they were not in a Grills cabin.What was said onboard that made them feel like that?If something was said,that is dreadful.

To be honest when we were in an inside cabin I never felt as if I was the lowest in the 'class system' but then I wasn't looking for it !

I apologise if I have mentioned something 'again' I have only one Oceania cruise under my belt and haven't been on this board long..

Edited by janecambridge

And who really cares if you are in an inside cabin or not?

Flipperty jip,calm down..

I only asked why someone felt they were singled out as lower class,just because they were not in a Grills cabin.

Jane maybe read the part of your post I quoted it had nothing to do with Grills

I really do not give a flying fig what colour someone room card is on Oceania but some people do

Not saying you do