Santorini excursions

Ken Greco

We took a Royal Caribbean excursion that visited a winery, Oia an then ended in Fira. I really enjoyed this excursion. The winery was lovely with some bread and goats cheese to eat with the wine and had a really nice gift shop. Oia was fantastic and wish we'd had longer there - if you do go there take quite a bit of money as there are so many shops! There were so many things we wanted to buy but we hadn't taken enough money with us! We definitely want to go back. With this tour we were first off the ship and into the tender boats - and we only had to get the cable car down as they tendered to a different port for this tour - which was much easier. Santorini was one of my favourite destinations and whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll love it too.

We took a Royal Caribbean excursion that visited a winery, Oia an then ended in Fira. I really enjoyed this excursion. The winery was lovely with some bread and goats cheese to eat with the wine and had a really nice gift shop. Oia was fantastic and wish we'd had longer there - if you do go there take quite a bit of money as there are so many shops! There were so many things we wanted to buy but we hadn't taken enough money with us! We definitely want to go back. With this tour we were first off the ship and into the tender boats - and we only had to get the cable car down as they tendered to a different port for this tour - which was much easier. Santorini was one of my favourite destinations and whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll love it too.

This is exactly the tour we took as well. It was one of the most perfect days of my entire life. :)

Like you said, with a ship's tour you are first off and indeed, we were the very first ones off, I mean my husband and I were off the ship and into the tender boat first. No biggie but it just was kind of cool. And yes, we were drinking wine by 9:30 am! The streets of Oia were quiet that early and so we roamed around and took hundreds of pictures. I would have enjoyed more time in Oia as well.

The excursion gives you a ticket for the cable car ride down, but the line was very long and it was hot - we just walked down the stairs.

Cannot wait to get back there on a land vacation someday. :)

Take the tender to the dock and buy a 25 euro ticket to oia, it's a boat ride round, couple of hours and coach back to thira.

The boat takes you to a nearby port, where buses are waiting to bring you up the road to Oia. You are given a schedule for buses from Oia to Fira/Thira, which is included in price. If I remember well, there was one at noon, at one and at two. We wandered about 90 mins in Oia, for us it was enough. From Fira you're on your own. We skipped Fira and went to wait in the long line down (1 hour and a half).

Since we prefer to do most excursions by ourselves, were not interested in any vinery, it was the perfect fit for us.

Walk up to Fira, take local bus to Oia (1.80 Euro) wonder around both places, nice meal in local venue, walk back down to tender. Quite memorable - especially the donkeys going up/down to Fira.

Edited by Biker19

Both times we visited Santorini we rented a car from Tony's Rent a Car. We drove around the island, stopping wherever we wanted to take pictures and ended up at Oia. Easy road to drive and Tony or his wife is waiting for you with her excellent baklava when you return the car. This was the absolute best day of the cruise and the most inexpensive.

Cannot wait to get back there on a land vacation someday. :)

I highly recommend staying there for a week. :D

We did everything that's been mentioned and then some. I honestly can't imagine only being there for a day trip.

It's been 8 years and not a week goes by without thinking about going back.

We took the ferry at the tender dock to Oia and then the bus up to the town. We wandered a bit and then started on the seaside trail back to Fira. We gave up halfway - gorgeous hike along the ocean but a lot of ups and downs - and caught a local bus back to Fira. We wandered around for a bit and took the cable car back down. A lovely and invigorating day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both times we visited Santorini we rented a car from Tony's Rent a Car. We drove around the island, stopping wherever we wanted to take pictures and ended up at Oia. Easy road to drive and Tony or his wife is waiting for you with her excellent baklava when you return the car. This was the absolute best day of the cruise and the most inexpensive.

Do you remember the cost of the rental car?

I highly recommend staying there for a week. :D

We did everything that's been mentioned and then some. I honestly can't imagine only being there for a day trip.

It's been 8 years and not a week goes by without thinking about going back.

I agree about staying there for a week. But the cruise allows e to see other ports such as Mykonos

we did a private tour with Kostas from Santorini taxi tours

It was 270 euros for an 8 seater van so if you can find tour mates from your roll call works out cost effective

We met him at top of cliff so had to make our own way up and down-we cose the cable car

it was a 4 hour tour but we were with him longer

we had an island tour taking the scenic route to Oia with panoramic viewpoints and driving past some beaches with locals sunbathing.

We got a good history lesson of the island and drove past the traditional buildings built into the cliff face

Our trip to Oia was interesting but actually found the rest of island tour better

We also had a winery visit

I highly recommend staying there for a week. :D ... It's been 8 years and not a week goes by without thinking about going back.

Aww, thanks for the encouragement! Flights to Europe are expensive from western Canada so it will definitely have to be one for the bucket list. Hubby wants to see the beaches of Normandy and I want to see some of the filming locations for The Sound of Music in Austria. Hoping we can incorporate all of this plus Santorini and make it happen! :D

We rented a car from Tony's. We went straight to Oia before the tour buses arrived and had plenty of time to explore the village before the crowds arrived. After that, we drove around the island at our leisure, visiting different point of interest, wineries, beaches, and the brewing company.

We also rented a car from Tony's Rent a Car; drove to Oia for most of the day, and then Santos Winery for the sunset. Perfect and beautiful day.