Next Cruise Learnings

nealstuber

Last Summer, on Liberty, we booked a next Cruise booking for Allure during spring break this coming spring. We Transferred the booking to our TA, primarily because the agency covered tips along with the Next Cruise Credit which we put towards the next cruise.

With final payment approaching we were not ready to commit, especially with DD wanting to look at schools during spring break and wanting a graduation party in NY in June where most of our extended family resides.

So we decided to swap the 7 day Allure for a 5 day Anthem.

Here's what we learned so far:

You can only change the booking once - but our TA has made the change pretty painless.

The next cruise pricing is NOT the best out there. To get the rate we saw on our Agent's site, we had to pony up a real deposit.

We went from a 7 day to a 5 day but did not reduce our OBC. We also upgraded the kids to a balcony connecting to ours, but we will be getting more OBC.

So on the whole, I'd say it's been a positive experience. But I thought I should post that the Next Cruise Rate is not the best out there, If you see a better rate, you may have to go to a full deposit to get it.

Don't think we'll do it again mainly because we seldom finalize our vacation plans until well after the final payment window and don't like to be locked in to a specific line when shopping much closer to sail date.

We realize that most are not like us and do book a year in advance and are able to stick to it and for those I'd say it's a really good deal so long as you watch your agent's web site for deals and are prepared to go to a full deposit if you see a better rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

Last Summer, on Liberty, we booked a next Cruise booking for Allure during spring break this coming spring. We Transferred the booking to our TA, primarily because the agency covered tips along with the Next Cruise Credit which we put towards the next cruise.

With final payment approaching we were not ready to commit, especially with DD wanting to look at schools during spring break and wanting a graduation party in NY in June where most of our extended family resides.

You can only change the booking once - but our TA has made the change pretty painless.

The next cruise pricing is NOT the best out there. To get the rate we saw on our Agent's site, we had to pony up a real deposit.

We went from a 7 day to a 5 day but did not reduce our OBC. We also upgraded the kids to a balcony connecting to ours, but we will be getting more OBC.

So on the whole, I'd say it's been a positive experience. But I thought I should post that the Next Cruise Rate is not the best out there, If you see a better rate, you may have to go to a full deposit to get it.

Don't think we'll do it again mainly because we seldom finalize our vacation plans until well after the final payment window and don't like to be locked in to a specific line when shopping much closer to sail date.

This is incorrect information.

You had to pay a full deposit in order to be placed in your TA's "group" booking. This is a common practice for TAs. This is how they offer perks and make additional income from the cruise line.

Additionally, you can change a reservation as many times as you would like without penalty or losing onboard booking OBC from the cruise line. However, it is up to the TA whether or not the agency will charge you for a change in ship/sail date. Most will treat this as a cancellation even if you keep the same reservation number and charge you a cancellation fee.

The moral of this post is that your TA had a block of cabins at X price, but to place you in that group, you had to post a full deposit. There is no such thing as a "next cruise rate".

Edited by Tm100

We realize that most are not like us and do book a year in advance and are able to stick to it and for those I'd say it's a really good deal so long as you watch your agent's web site for deals and are prepared to go to a full deposit if you see a better rate.

Some points of clarification. The benefits of booking on board are limited to a reduced deposit and an amount of OBC based on the length of the cruise. The stateroom rate is not discounted nor intended to be guaranteed to be the lowest, but is always that which is currently being offered at the time to the general public. As with any booking made, should the price change downward prior to final payment, you can take advantage of that new rate subject to the current promotion it is offered under. This means you may loose your OBC, however, as a result. In our experience - and unless this has changed - you can change the reservation up to three times before those benefits are lost as long as it is not canceled and the original reservation number is maintained with the new booking(s).

Your TA is not offering a discounted rate as all base staterooms rates are the same booking directly or through a TA. As mentioned you are likely seeing a rate through them that is reduced as a result of a current promotion or part of a group booking that offers as slight reduction as a result of the number of rooms blocked by the TA. You are re-booking your reservation through them into their program which is the reason for the full deposit. Any other perk offered is coming from their commission.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

This is incorrect information.

You had to pay a full deposit in order to be placed in your TA's "group" booking. This is a common practice for TAs. This is how they offer perks and make additional income from the cruise line.

Additionally, you can change a reservation as many times as you would like without penalty or losing onboard booking OBC from the cruise line. However, it is up to the TA whether or not the agency will charge you for a change in ship/sail date. Most will treat this as a cancellation even if you keep the same reservation number and charge you a cancellation fee.

The moral of this post is that your TA had a block of cabins at X price, but to place you in that group, you had to post a full deposit. There is no such thing as a "next cruise rate".

This is the correct info- I have changed Next Cruise bookings more than once. (No comments Ken and Bob;) )

As the others said, your experience is more based on getting your TA's price, not Next Cruise booking. If the price drops and you want to take advantage, you become subject to the new pricing rules. Often a discounted price can't be combined with a Next Cruise booking, so in effect you cancel that and re-book. Thus the increase in deposit and loss of OBC. Your TA has offered you their group price and their perks. To take advantage, you ended up cancelling the Next Cruise and re-booking with them. You now get the lower price and whatever OBC the TA offers, but are also bound by their restrictions. I would say that Next Cruise, unless it's too good a deal to pass up, is not for you.

As the others said, your experience is more based on getting your TA's price, not Next Cruise booking. If the price drops and you want to take advantage, you become subject to the new pricing rules. Often a discounted price can't be combined with a Next Cruise booking, so in effect you cancel that and re-book. Thus the increase in deposit and loss of OBC. Your TA has offered you their group price and their perks. To take advantage, you ended up cancelling the Next Cruise and re-booking with them. You now get the lower price and whatever OBC the TA offers, but are also bound by their restrictions. I would say that Next Cruise, unless it's too good a deal to pass up, is not for you.

In all my next cruise bookings I have never experienced any restrictions because of a next cruise booking. That remains the one perk that is combinable with all offers available for the general public. (Not sure about interlink rates but that doesn't apply to many)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Thanks for pointing out that it is the TA that is limiting my ability to change my next cruise booking more than once, they led me to believe otherwise.

As I mentioned, we were able to keep our Next Cruise OBC with the lower group rate (that also includes tips).

So I guess the learning here is that folks should understand their TA's policies with respect to next cruise bookings before transferring them.

i thought the whole scuttle butt was that if you took the obc on the future cruise you could only change it once but if you took the obc on the current cruise you could as much as you like since the they cant take the obc away from you since its already been used?????

the deposit is correct and is per t/a, i was looking at switching my 2018 serenade cruise(next booking) to 2017 Celebrity Equinox cruise. the t/a has a really good rate for summer 2017 caribbean. Cheapest balcony rate is a resident rate of $799 (which is good by itself for a summer sailing) they have group rate for $704 but it needs a full deposit. So im still debating on weather or not to make the switch. I have in the past booked a group rate where the t/a did honor 1/2 off deposit.

i thought the whole scuttle butt was that if you took the obc on the future cruise you could only change it once but if you took the obc on the current cruise you could as much as you like since the they cant take the obc away from you since its already been used?????...

They have supposedly changed the policy and cruises booked on board can be changed as much as you want without losing the OBC.

They have supposedly changed the policy and cruises booked on board can be changed as much as you want without losing the OBC.

I believe this is correct. I asked about this when I changed the date of a booking I made on board for which I took the credit immediately. The woman was so sure that multiple changes were allowed that she made a note of that promise in my booking in case anyone gives me a problem about it later.

On Liberty in August, at a Next Cruise presentation, we were told you could change an onboard booking three times in a five year period. I had never heard that before. So I asked for it to be repeated and jotted it in my iPhone's notes area. That was the story on Liberty, and the Manager and another employee were doing the presentation.

This is the correct info- I have changed Next Cruise bookings more than once. (No comments Ken and Bob;) )

You can change as many times as you want - the only change once info - is old not practised any-more....

I think some next cruise personnel make up some rules to prevent people from changing again and again - I have changed 4 times within 3 years and not lost anything....

Edited by germanfflyer

While I realize it's not incumbent upon them to do so, it would be nice when next Cruise staff explain that you can change it as many times, three times, or whatever times, that they also said "but if we Transfer the booking to your TA, they may have different policies or charge you to do so."

Just read the terms and conditions, that's what we have learned

I read the Next Cruise Terms and conditions here : http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/NextCruise/16050127_Next_Cruise_Onboard_Offer_Consumer_Flyer.pdf

And see no reference to the fact that your TA can place restrictions on your Next Cruise booking, even as they promote the notion that you can transfer your booking to a TA.

I don't fault RCCL for their marketing techniques, but don't understand the sarcasm to a post that was intended to inform where RCCL does not.