"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

Seems like you've got three choices. (1) do an honest survey, or (2) give everything a five, or (3) don't do the survey at all. Frankly, I'm about surveyed to death. It wouldn't be so bad except I never get any kind of response or update or any feedback and I never see anything change, so why bother?

There could be boilerplate response saying something like - in the past twelve months out of xx surveys, yy percent listed the following three areas as needing improvement. We have undertaken or plan to address the following by doing this project or that improvement or something. Then you might feel that your participation in a survey may have actually resulted in something constructive being done.

My DH and I each filled out our survey at the same time, on different laptops, and his comment boxes were different than mine. We had given the same value to the questions asked to that point, but were asked to comment on different areas of our cruise.

I don't believe we've ever gotten separate surveys unless we had individual cabins.

Exactly and it's essential that those completing the survey realise this. I manage a team in a organisation of around 15k staff and we always do very well in the staff survey and twice we've come top.

Sorry if this sounds insensitive, but it's not my responsibility to know the inner workings of how their grading system works, and how they evaluate and/or punish their employees, so I can fill out my survey accordingly in order to best help the person out. That's between employer and employee

I'm not looking to mess anyone's job up, nor am I looking to artificially bump up anyone's rating. So I just decline to the survey. If anything below a 5 is a fail, then the whole system they use is ridiculous and unfair, so I won't waste my time participating in it.

I'm polite and play along during the speech, and I tip generously if the service is good, which it is 99% of the time. My last cruise I went out of my way to let the head waiter know my servers were outstanding, hopefully that helps them.

There could be boilerplate response saying something like - in the past twelve months out of xx surveys, yy percent listed the following three areas as needing improvement. We have undertaken or plan to address the following by doing this project or that improvement or something. Then you might feel that your participation in a survey may have actually resulted in something constructive being done.

Exactly.

I've heard back with a phone call when I gave a low mark, she seemed interested in what I had to say.

Thanks. Good to hear that a negative survey prompted a follow up call or maybe an email.

Reading another thread, I was reminded by what the assistant waiter said on my last cruise.

We did not find the food in the MDR on our last cruise to be all that great, and frequently left over. The crew would ask if they could bring us something else, and I just said no, we would grab a slice of pizza or something from the cafe.

One night, the assistant waiter came by and confirmed with us that we would be giving all 5s on the Guest Satisfaction survey - for service, food, etc. I told him of course we would give 5s for service, but we did not find the food to be "5" caliber. He said it didn't matter, we should give 5 for everything, and then write what we did not like in the comments. I told him that would not be my honest opinion, and he stressed that I needed to give 5s for everything, even the food. He then said, "This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life". It was really chilling, and I felt quite uncomfortable.

What do you make of this, and what would you have done? I am embarrassed to say that I did not complete the survey because of his words. I could not give all 5s for food that I found to be sub-par, but I did not want to affect this guy's livelihood.

I would put that up there with him asking for tips. Kindly take the survey card and turn it into the guest relations desk, not to F & B staff and mark what you truly felt. I having been in service industry for 30+ years find it insulting that he would tell you you need to put 5s for everything. I woud, away from the dining room, ask at the GR desk for the food and beverage manager and speak with him one on one about the conversation and food quality as well.

Always a good idea to speak with someone while on board. However, there is no survey card. The survey is done electronically. Not really sure how the non internet savvy customers fill one out

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

There is an option for a telepathic survey. However, you still need an Internet connection to be able to click on that option.

Maybe a slightly different take, but I tend to feel a little compassion for some of these crew members. Many of them work long hours, away from their families, likely for not much pay...and over the years we have heard many stories from them about how rarely they get to see loved ones and that they send home as much money as they can.

So if it helps them by giving them the highest rating, I have no problem doing that rather than nitpicking on a survey about whether my food took a little longer than I wanted for it to come out, or if they had too many tables with difficult people to handle. Rather than rudely dismiss them when they mention the survey, or to feel the need to make a statement because I don't like how the survey is structured...I prefer to help them if that's all I need to do.

I can make my distaste for the survey known in other ways...but not at the expense of these hardworking and typically accommodating and cheerful souls who need every bit of help they can get.

Again...if I have issues with the cruise, or really bad service...that's one thing and I will make it known to the cruiseline. But typically that isn't the case.

You need the Internet connection to select the telepathic option. You don't need the Internet for the actual survey.

Hi Cuizer2,

Dictionary meaning of "telepathic"

telepathic

tɛlɪˈpaθɪk/Submit

adjective

supposedly capable of transmitting thoughts to other people and of knowing their thoughts; psychic.

"a team of telepathic superheroes who can read each other's thoughts"

synonyms: psychic, clairvoyant, with second sight, with a sixth sense

"as though he were telepathic, he glanced up at her"

relating to or characteristic of telepathy.

"suppose that telepathic communication between human minds occurs"

Hope this helps.

Pete

Hi Cuizer2,

Dictionary meaning of "telepathic"

telepathic

tɛlɪˈpaθɪk/Submit

adjective

supposedly capable of transmitting thoughts to other people and of knowing their thoughts; psychic.

"a team of telepathic superheroes who can read each other's thoughts"

synonyms: psychic, clairvoyant, with second sight, with a sixth sense

"as though he were telepathic, he glanced up at her"

relating to or characteristic of telepathy.

"suppose that telepathic communication between human minds occurs"

Hope this helps.

Pete

In order to receive the telepathic survey, you have to click on that option in the email. Therefore, you need an Internet connection to check the box requesting the telepathic survey.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? :confused:

In order to receive the telepathic survey, you have to click on that option in the email. Therefore, you need an Internet connection to check the box requesting the telepathic survey.

I got it and thought it was funny.

Reading another thread, I was reminded by what the assistant waiter said on my last cruise.

We did not find the food in the MDR on our last cruise to be all that great, and frequently left over. The crew would ask if they could bring us something else, and I just said no, we would grab a slice of pizza or something from the cafe.

One night, the assistant waiter came by and confirmed with us that we would be giving all 5s on the Guest Satisfaction survey - for service, food, etc. I told him of course we would give 5s for service, but we did not find the food to be "5" caliber. He said it didn't matter, we should give 5 for everything, and then write what we did not like in the comments. I told him that would not be my honest opinion, and he stressed that I needed to give 5s for everything, even the food. He then said, "This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life". It was really chilling, and I felt quite uncomfortable.

What do you make of this, and what would you have done? I am embarrassed to say that I did not complete the survey because of his words. I could not give all 5s for food that I found to be sub-par, but I did not want to affect this guy's livelihood.

I would have listened to him. It is his livelihood, and you do not know the way the process works as well as he does. If you gave something negative, you could jeopardize his employment. If he got fired, you'd have that on your conscience. Him keeping his job is worth someone feeling "uncomfortable" over something like this. Listen to him, but then bring up your concern with corporate, without mentioning names.

Hi Cuizer2,

The English language has so many opportunities for humour (please note the correct spelling of "humour") but unfortunately you have to be able to read and understand it.

Hopefully you will have just received the telepathic message that I have just sent you.

Pete

I would have listened to him. It is his livelihood, and you do not know the way the process works as well as he does. If you gave something negative, you could jeopardize his employment. If he got fired, you'd have that on your conscience. Him keeping his job is worth someone feeling "uncomfortable" over something like this. Listen to him, but then bring up your concern with corporate, without mentioning names.

I wonder how many are so sympathetic to retail/restaurant people in land based establishments. I would guess that if there is a problem many would not have an issue complaining about an problem with a server at Olive Garden. Yet as always so many have this pity feeling for crew on a ship. :rolleyes:

If I have a valid complaint I am going to voice it regardless of it affecting someone's employment. Harassing me for high scores would be something I would not be ok with and I would complain. It wouldn't be on my conscience that there would be reprocussions for crappy service. As with my own job, if I do it well I don't have anything to worry about.