"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

Hi Cuizer2,

The English language has so many opportunities for humour (please note the correct spelling of "humour") but unfortunately you have to be able to read and understand it.

Hopefully you will have just received the telepathic message that I have just sent you.

Now that is funny. :p

Good thread . We are on Jewel now and I am looking forward to the survey comment from the waiter. The food selections are not as good as our previous trips, but the service has been good - as expected. This will be the first time I refuse to give high marks in the MDR. I will write in the names of my waiter to assure they are not to blame for the food quality.

Off topic rant- thanks to the idiots above me for throwing their butts onto my balcony. Found another 2 this morning.

4j9gsn.jpg

Interesting. I personally cannot stand when I am asked to give all 5's on a survey. My thought is always give great service and let the survey be what it is. In fact, on one of my survey's I added the comments that I cannot stand when constantly asked to give all 5's.

I do wonder about the pressure they must be under to push so hard like that. If RCI is putting their livelihood on the line based on survey results - shame on them. I can see if everyone gives all 1's or 2's. But RCI must realize that each person is different in what they like and don't like. And lets face it, reading these boards you know there are some high maintenance people out there! My hope is the pressure is perceived more than it is a reality.

What would I have done in your shoes? I probably would have avoided the question to begin with! Just smile and change the subject. There is no value in letting them know you won't be giving all 5's. As for the survey itself - I think you should still fill it out and be honest with your feedback.

If RCI handles their surveys like other companies, then they consider a 5 as passing, and everything else (even a 4) as failure. Seems like a ridiculous practice which will not lead to them getting back valid metrics...

Having spent more than 20 years in IT, there is a lot like you and we know who you are! Our surveys didn't have scores and we weren't punished for perfect reviews, but we did get some rewards. (I was technician of the month 40 times in 48 months.)

I think I know who you are. You're the person who asked their colleague in the next office/cube to fix their computer before calling us. At that point there was nothing that could be done except reformat and reload. You had your files backed up didn't you? Then you put on the survey that the tech lost your data?

The only problem is modern tech support is get the customer to do everything themselves (test on another computer, test with another connection, test with another cable) then when the customer has done all the work, maximise disruption by we'll reset your profile, reimage your machine, give you a new machine...) It's not about fixing but just resetting.

AHHH!! Why are you guys talking about IT stuff? I am in IT and I'm sitting here at work reading CC to get away from it!!! :D

Just back from the Freedom and had fantastic head waiter and assistant waiter. When our waiter started the "shpiel" about the survey, he did not mention what rating we should give them. I asked if we should give them the highest rating (thinking that he was about to tell us to give the highest number), he said to give them an honest rating. They gave us 110% the whole week, answered every question, denied no request, and did so with smiles on their faces! They got extra tips, and I will give them the deserved high rating!!!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

We have been on Freedom three times in the last 4 years, which I know isn't a lot compared to some. However we have been 3 for 3 with awesome MDR (MTD) wait staffs.

We usually eat between 5:30 & 6, so it is easy to schedule with them ahead of time to get the same staff all nights. One time the desk screwed up and put us at a different table that was next to our usual staff, and the Asst. Waiter that we were used to having was constantly in the ear of the one we had that night giving him "tips". For example without me saying anything to the new one, a Diet Coke appeared without me asking. :)

That is an example of a 10+. What the real disservice is to the customers and the wait staffs is if the wait staff is also judged on the food quality as opposed to the kitchen staff. That to me is the largest (of several) failures to the survey system...

What bothered me about the surveying was that our MDR waiter told us that she gets 'credit' for the Windjammer, etc., portions of the survey as well, even though I never saw her there. We thought WJ was terrible on our last cruise, and although I liked her, I had to be honest about the other areas.

As someone said, constant 5 star ratings that aren't deserved won't make for better cruising experiences in the future. I've read a lot of posts about declining food quality - RCCL should, at the very least, see this reflected in their surveying.

If you look closely, you will see the MDR staff (more often the Asst. Waiters) in the WJ for either breakfast or lunch. On different cruises I have noticed our Asst. Waiter doing things in the WJ like taking omelette orders @ breakfast, carving station @ lunch, etc.

I would assume that with any survey feedback regarding the WJ, it is safe to be 100% honest and it won't affect a specific crew member unless they are mentioned by name in the comments...

Hi Cuizer2,

The English language has so many opportunities for humour (please note the correct spelling of "humour") but unfortunately you have to be able to read and understand it.

Hopefully you will have just received the telepathic message that I have just sent you.

Pete

Yes that is the correct British spelling as humor is the correct American spelling for that word. Here in Canada we accept either as correct. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

Edited by robtulipe

I wonder how many are so sympathetic to retail/restaurant people in land based establishments. I would guess that if there is a problem many would not have an issue complaining about an problem with a server at Olive Garden. Yet as always so many have this pity feeling for crew on a ship. :rolleyes:

If I have a valid complaint I am going to voice it regardless of it affecting someone's employment. Harassing me for high scores would be something I would not be ok with and I would complain. It wouldn't be on my conscience that there would be reprocussions for crappy service. As with my own job, if I do it well I don't have anything to worry about.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I wonder how many are so sympathetic to retail/restaurant people in land based establishments. I would guess that if there is a problem many would not have an issue complaining about an problem with a server at Olive Garden. Yet as always so many have this pity feeling for crew on a ship. :rolleyes:

If I have a valid complaint I am going to voice it regardless of it affecting someone's employment. Harassing me for high scores would be something I would not be ok with and I would complain. It wouldn't be on my conscience that there would be repercussions for crappy service. As with my own job, if I do it well I don't have anything to worry about.

We aren't talking about voicing complaints. I don't think anyone would begrudge someone for complaining. We are talking about checking a numbered bubble on post-cruise survey wherein someone's livelihood can be impacted when the 4 vs. the 5 bubble can be checked. It's stupid system that most of these survey companies use, for sure, but how does it harm any of us to not hold it against these people who don't see their families for up to 6 months a time? I don't get that lack of compassion.

Edited by CruisinShips

We aren't talking about voicing complaints. I don't think anyone would begrudge someone for complaining. We are talking about checking a numbered bubble on post-cruise survey wherein someone's livelihood can be impacted when the 4 vs. the 5 bubble can be checked. It's stupid system that most of these survey companies use, for sure, but how does it harm any of us to not hold it against these people who don't see their families for up to 6 months a time? I don't get that lack of compassion.

How about credibility? How about honesty? What happens if everyone gets all fives? Do you really want to be stuck with a 1 server because everyone gave that person a 5 out of compassion?

They chose the life they lead. If they don't want to be away from their families for six months, then they can get a job that is closer to home.

Compassion has nothing to do with it. I am going to be honest with my review...regardless of the subject...cruise, hotel visit, mechanic, etc. If that causes someone a problem then they should perform better. Besides, in my opinion nothing could be less professional than begging for a score on a survey.

And I get tired of hearing people talk about how hard the crew works, about them not seeing their families, about their pay, etc.. My father-in-law went to sea for 50 years. I know about the sacrifices. However, every member of the crew on every flipping ship on the water CHOSE that job...unless someone has evidence that a cruise line is using slave labor. If they don't like the long hours...or the pay...or being away from their family...then they should quit and find another job. Lots of people work hard...

How about credibility? How about honesty? What happens if everyone gets all fives? Do you really want to be stuck with a 1 server because everyone gave that person a 5 out of compassion?

They chose the life they lead. If they don't want to be away from their families for six months, then they can get a job that is closer to home.

What's with all the 5's?

I thought we confirmed the scale was 1-10

What's with all the 5's?

It certainly was on the form I filled out yesterday.:confused:

Biker, who can't go the Nadia Comaneci route regardless of how good the overall service was.

Edited by Biker19

The one and only time my wife and I experienced this was in Giovanni's Table on the Oasis. It was at the very end of the meal and everything was great so far. I was about to give the waiter a thoughtful tip in cash for great service, then he sprang this survey speech on us and it went from a fine dining to a swift kick in the nuts. He took the tip without much reaction but continued on how giving the highest ratings was vital. We walked out a bit dazed and confused on what actually happened and it was certainly uncomfortable.

Never had a problem with this eating in the Windjammer which could be one of the many reasons we prefer to eat there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Fizzlewicket

What's with all the 5's?

I was responding to the person I quoted who was using a one to five scale at the same time I was responding to the telepathic message I received from that poster on the other side of the pond who was also using a one to five scale.

If someone really sucks, or is really bad, then they deserve whatever rating they get. Again, my point was rather than give someone a 4 because the food took a couple of minutes too long, I would just as soon give them the 5 if it means that much to them. If something major happens, by all means they should know it.

Compassion has nothing to do with it. I am going to be honest with my review...regardless of the subject...cruise, hotel visit, mechanic, etc. If that causes someone a problem then they should perform better. Besides, in my opinion nothing could be less professional than begging for a score on a survey.

And I get tired of hearing people talk about how hard the crew works, about them not seeing their families, about their pay, etc.. My father-in-law went to sea for 50 years. I know about the sacrifices. However, every member of the crew on every flipping ship on the water CHOSE that job...unless someone has evidence that a cruise line is using slave labor. If they don't like the long hours...or the pay...or being away from their family...then they should quit and find another job. Lots of people work hard...

Merry Christmas!

If someone really sucks, or is really bad, then they deserve whatever rating they get. Again, my point was rather than give someone a 4 because the food took a couple of minutes too long, I would just as soon give them the 5 if it means that much to them. If something major happens, by all means they should know it.

I don't knock someone down because the food is a couple of minutes late. I do however object to having to hire a detective to find the person. Happened once in a land based restaurant in New York and once (in 30 cruises) on a ship.

If I have a valid complaint I am going to voice it regardless of it affecting someone's employment. Harassing me for high scores would be something I would not be ok with and I would complain. It wouldn't be on my conscience that there would be reprocussions for crappy service. As with my own job, if I do it well I don't have anything to worry about.

I have been a waiter, and also eat out quite a bit. If there service is deplorable, I will see something, but it takes a lot of me to do that. When I write a review, I typically wait a few days, and never use the staff by name, nor mention the might I came in. Btw- OP said the service was great. And you friend, don't sound like a very nice person, I hope that you are not actually like this to the people who serve you at restaurants.

I have been a waiter, and also eat out quite a bit. If there service is deplorable, I will see something, but it takes a lot of me to do that. When I write a review, I typically wait a few days, and never use the staff by name, nor mention the might I came in. Btw- OP said the service was great. And you friend, don't sound like a very nice person, I hope that you are not actually like this to the people who serve you at restaurants.

I don't see anything in her post that is bad or "not nice". No one should have to put up with bad service. I also used to wait tables and I was courteous and always did my best. OP's point was that the wait staff tells everyone they need a perfect score, not about the service itself.

If RCI handles their surveys like other companies, then they consider a 5 as passing, and everything else (even a 4) as failure. Seems like a ridiculous practice which will not lead to them getting back valid metrics...

Absolutely correct. The survey could be simplified to a simple YES/NO or PASS/FAIL response, which is completely useless for prioritizing areas or personnel that need the most attention.

This has happened to me at retail stores, too. It makes me not want to take the survey at all! I feel like the highest score is not honest, yet I worry someone will lose his/her job for anything less! It's unrealistic expectations from corporate. It really lowers the service level to be told what to rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums