"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

My first cruise was on DCL and when I found out this was a common thing, I was aghast. What kind of disconnect is happening in this industry that they don't recognize that placing the *paying customer* in such an awkward position is just bad business?

Do your own employee evaluations, don't make it my problem.

I'd almost say they're trying to push people out of the MDRs and into the buffet or upcharge venues, but Disney does it and they're kind of known for their MDRs. Their upcharge venues are all 18+ (for now).

Edited by AdoraBelle

What good would a survey be if ALL reviews came in as a perfect 5 score. There

would be nothing to compare good or bad to, and no incentive to change...and no

real appreciation of a compliment where it is due.

As far as I know on a scale of 1-5.....there are five choices. ;)

You are incorrect and you should read the entire thread.

There are two choices. 1-4 is fail, 5 is pass. Thats it.

The only problem is modern tech support is get the customer to do everything themselves (test on another computer, test with another connection, test with another cable) then when the customer has done all the work, maximise disruption by we'll reset your profile, reimage your machine, give you a new machine...) It's not about fixing but just resetting.

That isn't "modern tech support", that's good detective work. IT asks you to test all that stuff to try to narrow down what the actual problem is. And they can't always take the customer's word for things (you may be savvy, but most people are not and there's no way to tell who is who). Contrary to popular belief IT support isn't black and white. Not every problem has a well laid out solution and you have to do some detective work to figure it out.

As for the resetting... You're right. During my sysadmin days our help desk would call about issues and if we couldn't help them within 5 minutes their solution was always to just reimage. Part of that is due to time restrictions. Not enough techs supporting too many people. They don't always have time to spend an hour or two figuring out an issue when they can just reimage and have it "fixed" in 20 minutes or less. A lot of it is laziness too though.

You are incorrect and you should read the entire thread.

There are two choices. 1-4 is fail, 5 is pass. Thats it.

You know, we aren't really sure that is even accurate. Has anyone weighed in with information from management on this? One of the points of this thread is the ridiculousness of a 5 or 10 point scale that only considers the top score as acceptable. :rolleyes:

What bothered me about the surveying was that our MDR waiter told us that she gets 'credit' for the Windjammer, etc., portions of the survey as well, even though I never saw her there. We thought WJ was terrible on our last cruise, and although I liked her, I had to be honest about the other areas.

As someone said, constant 5 star ratings that aren't deserved won't make for better cruising experiences in the future. I've read a lot of posts about declining food quality - RCCL should, at the very least, see this reflected in their surveying.

I have strong feelings on this subject as I agree with the OP.

I just completed the survey with 5 * for service (even though I felt it was not deserving of this rating).

I rated the food honestly as the waitstaff (IMHO) should not be penalized for food quality.

I left detailed comments in the box.

Having just sailed Oasis, I found there was a much "softer" sell on the customer satisfaction survey than I have found in previous years. I find celebrity manages the survey the best.

If I were Royal, I'd want honest feedback on the product I'm selling. I would not want my staff trying to coerce my customers into giving good reviews.

I have strong feelings on this subject as I agree with the OP.

I just completed the survey with 5 * for service (even though I felt it was not deserving of this rating).

I rated the food honestly as the waitstaff (IMHO) should not be penalized for food quality.

I left detailed comments in the box.

Having just sailed Oasis, I found there was a much "softer" sell on the customer satisfaction survey than I have found in previous years. I find celebrity manages the survey the best.

If I were Royal, I'd want honest feedback on the product I'm selling. I would not want my staff trying to coerce my customers into giving good reviews.

OK, I'm confused. :confused: I just did the survey for Jewel, and it was a scale from 1-10, no 5 point scale. I gave 8-10 for the most part.

The dining section was as follows:

Quality of food in the MDR

MDR service

Quality of food in the WJ

Service at WJ

Bar Service

Chop's Grille

Giovani's Table

Izumi

All were 1-10 and there were no boxes to leave comments.

The only box to leave a comment was the last one.

Please take this opportunity to provide final comments or recognize outstanding crew members.

OK, I'm confused. :confused: I just did the survey for Jewel, and it was a scale from 1-10, no 5 point scale. I gave 8-10 for the most part.

The dining section was as follows:

Quality of food in the MDR

MDR service

Quality of food in the WJ

Service at WJ

Bar Service

Chop's Grille

Giovani's Table

Izumi

All were 1-10 and there were no boxes to leave comments.

The only box to leave a comment was the last one.

Please take this opportunity to provide final comments or recognize outstanding crew members.

You might be right, I think it was a 1-10 scale. lol. I just did the survey last week.

I had comment boxes at almost every stage of the review. I also recall a section on the cabin attendant.

In the case of dining room service, I gave a 10 not a 5 :D

You might be right, I think it was a 1-10 scale. lol. I just did the survey last week.

I had comment boxes at almost every stage of the review. I also recall a section on the cabin attendant.

In the case of dining room service, I gave a 10 not a 5 :D

There was a section on the cabin steward, but no box to leave comments.

The only time I have seen boxes pop up is when I leave a low score, say below 5 on the 10 scale.

We have gotten "the speech" on our last two cruises. I nipped it in the bud on our last cruise. When the MDR Staff started I held up my hand to stop them and said "I will give you a fair rating based on your performance and the expectations set by the cruise line. If you ask me even once for any particular score I will give you 1's straight across the board." She spun around and left...never heard another word about the survey.

There was a section on the cabin steward, but no box to leave comments.

The only time I have seen boxes pop up is when I leave a low score, say below 5 on the 10 scale.

I wonder if they have different surveys for different lines/guests? I definitely didn't rate anything below a 5, and I had several options for leaving comments.

I know I received surveys for each of my car rentals through hertz. Orlando-Canaveral, was a long survey with many questions. Canaveral to Orlando, was 1 question only asking how satisfied I was. And I had plenty to say about the return car rental, but I guess they didn't want my opinion on that :D

early this year I started taking a phone picture of the NAMETAG of the waitstaff telling them I wanted to include their names on the survey. The last two cruises Sept and Oct the head waiter stopped by and said he heard about the photo of the tags and wondered if I needed his. Three photos on my phone, the three couldn't do enough for us after that. no speeches. Bob & nancy

Just off the Adventure of the Seas. The survey we received went from 1 - 10. We received the survey spiel the first night. We also interrupted them with the "right now you are at a 10 (and they were) if our service is this good all week, we will give the 10". We had exceptional service all week.

I wonder if they have different surveys for different lines/guests? I definitely didn't rate anything below a 5, and I had several options for leaving comments.

I know I received surveys for each of my car rentals through hertz. Orlando-Canaveral, was a long survey with many questions. Canaveral to Orlando, was 1 question only asking how satisfied I was. And I had plenty to say about the return car rental, but I guess they didn't want my opinion on that :D

My DH and I each filled out our survey at the same time, on different laptops, and his comment boxes were different than mine. We had given the same value to the questions asked to that point, but were asked to comment on different areas of our cruise.

and I hate the 5* spiel

There is no room to totally express your opinion it is either good or bad according, evidently to RC.

Service can vary for a variety of reasons from Rude and overly demanding cruisers to a Head waiter that knows ******* with a waiter who just cannot make it. I do agree they all seem to be over worked, well at times.

Food is not the servers fault whether it is good or BAD. Food can vary from quality of raw/frozen food supplies to new chefs, who may have come from Carnival or NCL LOL need a little humor.

We have gotten "the speech" on our last two cruises. I nipped it in the bud on our last cruise. When the MDR Staff started I held up my hand to stop them and said "I will give you a fair rating based on your performance and the expectations set by the cruise line. If you ask me even once for any particular score I will give you 1's straight across the board." She spun around and left...never heard another word about the survey.

Mom? Is that you?