Leaving this Sunday on first cruise

firstcruiseyeah

Well, you've come to the right place! Welcome aboard! Read up on the thread for your upcoming cruise. Find the ports of call section and find interesting things you'd like to do. Don't try to do everything and definitely taking a little time for yourselves and watch a sunrise, a sunset or both!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our first cruise, we didn't eat in the main dining room at all because we thought it was too fancy for us. Maybe we're the only people who ever thought this, but I decided to share it in case you have the same idea.

The dining room is an awesome experience. We've cruised six times [#7 is this weekend] and we have always had wonderful wait teams who make the meal so much fun. The food has always been good, too. And you don't really have to dress up too fancy....wear what you would wear to a summer wedding or church service, basically.

Another thing we didn't try on our first cruise...room service! It's a really cool thing [maybe we're easily impressed!] to have a snack delivered to your room at any time you desire. Very decadent-feeling!

I hope you have a great time on your first cruise....before you know it, you'll be hooked for life!

My husband and I are going to be on our first cruise this Sunday for 5 days. What are some tips for us? What is something we should do but wouldn't know to do on our first cruise? What am I forgetting to do or pack? We are very excited but nervous also. :)

Relax.

Don't overplan or indeed over research.

Take a highlighter to mark the "must do" things in the newsletter, and mark it up each night for the following day.

Congrats! I hope you guys have an awesome time. My family loves to do the MDR and sometimes the Lido deck when they are feeling more casual oriented. We also usually arrive at least the day before if not more. Plus we like to check in online and have our passports prior to boarding. If you're leaving from a US port, then a birth certificate should work as well. Lastly, prepare yourselves for the safety proceedings around the ship. Necessary to know for emergencies but still a drag when you want to get right to the fun. Anyways, once most people start cruising, they never stop so be prepared to book more adventures once you head back home!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wishing you a wonderful time.

Should you think that either of you are prone to getting sea sick might be wise to pick up something to prevent nausea.

My biggest advice is to read the daily program thoroughly each and every day to decide what you want to do.

Also while you are still at home stud the layout of the ship to get a better feel of what is located where.

Keith

Join your Roll Call here and meet others who will be on your cruise and find out what they have planned in ports. Once 12 of us chartered our own sunset snorkeling trip in Aruba, 6 of us got a tour of Nassau, etc. You should have a Meet & Greet where everyone gets together for the to meet. You can also email each other on this site.

Watch out, you are going to be hooked on cruising!

Take some time the first day to explore the ship - find out what is where. Then check the daily schedules so you can make some plans for each day - don't over-plan, but have some ideas.

In advance: check your CC roll call to get a feel for your shipmates; check your line's suggestions for clothes to bting --widely different suggestions: NCL being very casual while HAL suggesting some dress code; read up,on ports of call so you will have some idea of what you might want to do at each - remembering that at some ports you might be happier staying on board and having the ship largely to yourself.

Thinking back to our first cruise, it would have been helpful to know that you can ask for extra portions or substitutions in the main dining room. For instance, my husband does not eat cheese, so if the potatoes on the menu for his dish were made with cheese, he would ask for a baked potato. He loves meat, so sometimes he would ask for a double portion of pork tenderloin or roast beef, etc. If you are given something you don't care for in the dining room, you can ask the waiter for something else and they are happy to take back what you didn't like and bring you something you do like. If you don't like the appetizers, you can always ask for a fruit plate, even if it is not on the menu. Get to the Newlywed show early, as it is a favourite with cruisers and it is so funny!

I have a different opinion about trying to do too much. My trophy wife on our first cruise 18 years ago filled her agenda with doing as much as she could do until she dropped. I personally had a much more relaxed agenda, but I wasn't getting in the way of the rolling boulder wanting to experience it all. And she still looks back fondly on that cruise as one of her favorites. No regrets. She also won $600 in bingo, which she hasn't ever done again.

My suggestion is learn what activities the ship offers from this forum and each of you plan your daily agenda. We humans tend to have few regrets by slowing down to catch our breath than pacing ourselves slower than what we should have done. What you learn from this experience will help you plan better the next cruise.

My only other advice is take a pair of binoculars if you have a balcony.

Burt

One piece of advice that will help for a good cruise is 'Don't sweat the small stuff and seek help to sort out the larger stuff, don't let it stew'.:D

If you have a complaint, see to it straight away and get it sorted or it will fester and ruin your holiday.

My husband and I are going to be on our first cruise this Sunday for 5 days. What are some tips for us? What is something we should do but wouldn't know to do on our first cruise? What am I forgetting to do or pack? We are very excited but nervous also. :)

There are often limited outlets in each room. We are taking a usb hub (that plugs in to the wall) this time to help with charging our various devices.

We grab a coffee and maybe some fruit and cheese from the buffet and head to the theater a little early to get the seats we like (we are both blind in one eye so need to be in a certain place in order to see the performances properly) and then we read the planner (the little paper that arrives on your bed around 6 pm) while waiting for the show to begin in the theater. That way we know what is going on the next day and can plan ahead.

We also take our own refillable coffee mugs and juice bottles (you will need to use a cup at the filling station to refill them for sanitary reasons). We actually take two refillable water bottles, one for lemonade and one for water for when we are sitting up on deck and relaxing. That way we have something to drink and we don't have to get up if we are engrossed in a book.

We also pack a picnic lunch (take ziploc bags in your luggage). There are often cold meats, cheese and sub buns available at breakfast along with sealed mustard, mayo etc. We grab some fruit and fill our bottles, throw it all in small backpack and away we go. That way we can stop at a nice little beach and enjoy a picnic. You cannot do this in Cozumel however-no food is allowed off the ship-they search your bags and have dogs sniffing bags -we knew this ahead of time so we bought lunch in Cozumel and it was very nice.

If you are a reader or just like quiet time, the bars are often empty during the days but you can still gain access to them and often they have the most beautiful views with large windows and comfortable chairs. Scope out all the different lounges on your first day and then go back the next day if you want a quiet place to read or play a game of cards.

There usually is a games room with board games etc however we always bring our own deck of cards because the cards go quickly.

Oh and if you can, pack a 2nd bathing suit because it takes a while for anything to dry in your room. We always pack 2. We also only take a carry on for luggage and we can still bring 2 swim suits and all the other stuff needed. I agree with the OP less luggage is great.

Wish the OP had included what cruise line and what area they are cruising - some comments apply to some situations but not all. The comment about making special requests for meals holds true for all lines AFAIK - if there is an exception, I've never seen it mentioned here. The recommendation to pack light is a good one - but I can't do it. lol

Also, don't feel obligated to spend every minute together. My DH and I went for our first cruise to celebrate 25 years of marriage. Obviously we wanted to be together most of the time, but I love gourmet food and wanted to do the expensive Chef's Table, which would have been wasted on my husband. So I did that solo and he hit the ship's pizza restaurant that evening.

> you don't really have to dress up too fancy....wear what you would wear to a summer wedding or church service, basically.

When we cruised Royal Caribbean, we didn't dress up for dinner at all. But I have heard there are some lines that are more formal.

> Another thing we didn't try on our first cruise...room service! It's a really cool thing [maybe we're easily impressed!] to have a snack delivered to your room at any time you desire.

Again, varies by cruise line. I did order RCI room service one afternoon when I was totally whipped, but the menu was quite limited (although the roast beef and Brie sandwich I ordered was very tasty). I had heard that you could order anything from the MDR menu from room service, but at least on our ship, that only applied to concierge-class passengers. And for our upcoming cruise on Norwegian Pearl, there is a room service charge of $7.95 for most items.

Speaking of - watch out for not-included extras. Internet is typically charged by the minute and fairly expensive - DH and I got a package of 30 min/day between us, which let us check our emails and that was about it. Of course liquor is an extra charge, but so are sodas, juice (except at breakfast), bottled water, and even beverages that would be free at the restaurants if you request them at a bar. (Unless you purchased a beverage package, in which case read what is included VERY carefully, and when in doubt, ask the server if something is included.) Also look up ahead of time which restaurants are included with your fare and which cost extra. This isn't to say you won't decide to purchase a not-included beverage or dinner, but you don't want to wind up paying for something accidentally.

Finally, stay open to new experiences but don't push yourselves. See the shows, try the different restaurants, visit the ports, poke around on the ship. It helps me to decide ahead of time what I MUST see/do and take it easy just before those so I don't wind up too exhausted to enjoy it. But if you keep your own limitations and preferences in mind, you will have a wonderful trip!

Just enjoy. be wide eyed amazed and juvenile, giggle, dance, act like theres know-one watching.

And may you forever treat your last cruise as you did your first.:):)

Some of us don't giggle, ever, no matter how much fun we are having.:p

My advice:

1. Go to the RCI web site and check out your ship's deck plans so you are somewhat familiar with what is where. You can do some easy planning on what you would like to see on the ship, where to go, etc.

2. In the MDR, order multiple appetizers. Trust me, if you like shrimp, order two or three. Also, if you see two main entres that you like, don't even think about it, order both.

- During sail away if someone comes by with a tray of drinks and hands you one expect to be asked for your cabin card to charge it to - free drinks on ships are rare (not impossible, but rare).

- If you like music bring a very small set of speakers for cabin - turned down low for consideration of neighbors but it is nice to have a little music. TV may have soft music on some channels.

- TV will have two channels that are useful, one of outside over the bow and another with ship position and info like heading, speed, temperature, wind, etc.. Bow camera is really useful if in an inside cabin because at night it is dark and as it gets light outside it brightens.

- Yes, take water bottles. Tap water on ships is the same as bottled water so no need to pay for expensive bottles of water. Cabin steward can provide ice.

- All the staff will "want to please" so be sure to ask if you need something. Beverage service is an added tip deal (not included in end of cruise tipping) but it helps to tip well at the time of service. An extra buck on the slip goes along way.

- Getting from main dining room (MDR) to theater there is often a less crowded route by going outside on promenade level then re-entering at other end of the ship. Like an express lane. :cool:

- RCCL has a nice color coding system for carpets to let you know forward from aft and Port (left, facing forward) from Starboard (right).

- if you forget what day it is ride an elevator. ;)

- if you have a balcony some heavy duty woodworking spring clamps are handy for clipping items to dry on chair (on sea days or when underway).

- Electronics can charge on the 220v outlet with a plug adapter - no need for voltage converter if the device's charging converter says Input: 110~220v Gets you an extra outlet.

- Put phones in airplane mode so they don't accidentally connect to ship service or in port connect to very expensive roaming services. We turn ours off and put in safe for duration.

- Extra pairs of sunglasses and don't forget hats. A small, cheap, disposable poncho (the kind that fits in a pocket) can be very handy especially in ports.

Edited by Sequim88