Grand injured

PonyPair

I'm just curious. What are you suggesting? Please share your insight and knowledge about your thoughts.

That poster was referring to the fact that water is coming in this doorway, and only via the sealing of the "next layer" of watertight doors is the ship safe. So the line's claim, "Although the platform is not part of the watertight integrity of the vessel" can be perceived as being a little sketchy.

It is absolutely part of the watertight sealing/integrity of the vessel exterior. Right now, as the huge open hatch that it is, this is exactly the same as if the ship were sailing with a 8 ft high by perhaps 15 ft wide hole caused by a collision or something else, just a couple of feet above the waterline. Water is splashing in with the swells, and being drained to the bilge, where it will have to be treated and pumped out. I'll refer you to the last 14 pages of this thread, if you haven't read it all...

Let me stress that IT IS SAFE, after all, since the design is working the way it should- it was just the sketchy PR wording that was questioned- but then again, that's how I guess I would word it as well, because the watertight integrity overall is NOT compromised! I wouldn't even have a second thought if I were on her now- we would be "business as usual", having fun!

Edited by yuccaman

I would take that part of the statement to be "PR spin" that there is an interior watertight system and thus the open tender door is not "required" for (temporary) watertightness.

Yep! See my last post, right above this one. But they're doing everything right, heading right back to port, quickly, but slowly enough to try and avoid water & additional damage, plus seems like they have a 24 hr watchperson to make sure things are remaining stable.

Edited by yuccaman

There are 2 types of tender platforms.

There are some that fold into the hull, but do not have any opening into the ship. Rather, when the deploy the platform, built into the platform is a folding/retracting staircase that leads to a water-tight door higher up on the hull.

The other type does have an opening into the ship, and the platform itself when retracted/folded up is also the water-tight door. Passengers can walk right out to the platform without descending an outside staircase to get to the platform. Grand Princess has this type.

EXAMPLES:

http://www.ttsgroup.com/PageFiles/1667/Tender%20embarkation%20platforms.pdf?epslanguage=en

That poster was referring to the fact that water is coming in this doorway, and only via the sealing of the "next/last layer" of watertight doors is the ship safe. So the line's claim, "Although the platform is not part of the watertight integrity of the vessel" can be perceived as being a little sketchy.

It is absolutely part of the watertight sealing of the vessel exterior. Right now, as the huge open hatch that it is, this is exactly the same as if the ship were sailing with a 8 ft high by perhaps 15 ft wide hole caused by a collision or something else, just adjacent to and barely above the waterline. Water is coming in with the swells, and being drained to the bilge, where it will have to be treated and pumped out. I'll refer you to the last 14 pages of this thread, if you haven't read it all...

Thank you both for the explanation. I had not read all the pages but the statement made me curious. I have used the tenders before but never noticed if the area was compartmentalized. It would seem like a good idea to do so. Sounds like the Princess spokesperson should edit his/her statements before making them. :)

That poster was referring to the fact that water is coming in this doorway, and only via the sealing of the "next/last layer" of watertight doors is the ship safe. So the line's claim, "Although the platform is not part of the watertight integrity of the vessel" can be perceived as being a little sketchy.

That platform/door is not part of the ship's watertight integrity.

...anymore.

PR spin is a wonderful thing.

It is absolutely part of the watertight sealing/integrity of the vessel exterior. Right now, as the huge open hatch that it is, this is exactly the same as if the ship were sailing with a 8 ft high by perhaps 15 ft wide hole caused by a collision or something else, just a couple of feet above the waterline. Water is splashing in with the swells, and being drained to the bilge, where it will have to be treated and pumped out. I'll refer you to the last 14 pages of this thread, if you haven't read it all...

Let me stress that IT IS SAFE, after all, since the design is working the way it should- it was just the sketchy PR wording that was questioned- but then again, that's how I guess I would word it as well, because the watertight integrity overall is NOT compromised! I wouldn't even have a second thought if I were on her now- we would be "business as usual", having fun!

Yes, the statement by Princess is either uninformed (as many press releases are when a ship has a technical failure) at best, or disingenuous at worst, parsing the fact that while the tender port is watertight to the rest of the hull, water is still going down the deck drains in the space to the engine room bilges, though through small diameter pipes so most of it sloshes back out the big opening.

I've been in contact with friends onboard.

Her message to me on Sat was that a tender door "fell off"

Her husband hates to fly with a passion.

He wanted to stay onboard and get off in Portland, then rent a car to go back to the Bay Area.

They haven't given them that as an option. Looks like they will fly back to SF.

She also said they are being taken care of quite well...no complaints.

I've been in contact with friends onboard.

Her message to me on Sat was that a tender door "fell off"

Her husband hates to fly with a passion.

He wanted to stay onboard and get off in Portland, then rent a car to go back to the Bay Area.

They haven't given them that as an option. Looks like they will fly back to SF.

She also said they are being taken care of quite well...no complaints.

Tell your friend to go to the infirmary and see if you can get any anti-anxiety meds for her husband.

There are some people that absolutely can't fly, so it will be interesting to find out the solution they come up with for those people. I know that when the Carnival ship got stuck in St. Maarten, Carnival ended up putting the people that couldn't fly on another cruise ship (from NCL I believe). Are there any other ships (on any line) currently doing the West Coast-Hawaii itineraries?

Tell your friend to go to the infirmary and see if you can get any anti-anxiety meds for her husband.

There are some people that absolutely can't fly, so it will be interesting to find out the solution they come up with for those people. I know that when the Carnival ship got stuck in St. Maarten, Carnival ended up putting the people that couldn't fly on another cruise ship (from NCL I believe). Are there any other ships (on any line) currently doing the West Coast-Hawaii itineraries?

Looks like the next ones are HAL's Amsterdam on the 10th and Star Princess on the 11th.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/files/2013/01/oahu-criuse-2016-3-17-16.pdf

Hi folks - live from the Grand Princess, we are getting cell service, and it seems to be Molokai I'm looking at from the port side of the ship.

Long story short: they are indeed flying us all to San Francisco. Those of us who are not flying out until Wednesday will be staying on the ship in Honolulu. The flight arrangements I know of, including mine and my DW's, are on commercial airlines. We're taking United from Honolulu to LAX on Wednesday morning and connecting there to SFO. We were told at the passenger services desk we would be allowed to disembark and reboard in Honolulu, apparently just as if it were an ordinary port stop.

This has been an eventful but in total actually a quite good cruise, at least for me and my wife, assuming all goes well between now and our return home. We got all of our Hawaii ports -- which we know is not guaranteed -- and bonus time in Honolulu, and lost very little. Princess is transporting us to the airport and paying for our flights home and have also compensated us by refunding half the cost of this cruise AND giving us future credit equal to that amount as well (effectively making this cruise "free"). This seems like fair compensation for what will be a moderate inconvenience at best (since one of the reasons we took this particular trip was to avoid flying to begin with).

More later - back to vacation.

Are there any other ships (on any line) currently doing the West Coast-Hawaii itineraries?

Carnival Miracle is in Hilo today (Monday), then heads back to LA via Ensenada.

Star Princess leaves LA (San Pedro) today for her 15-nighter to the islands.

We have friends from Florida currently on board the Grand. We received an email from them late last night as follows:

Princess is flying them HNL-SFO on Tuesday (they didn't elaborate whether on a charter or regular scheduled airline), then putting them up at the Mark Hopkins hotel in SF (which I believe is one of the properties Princess uses in their pre/post cruise hotel packages) for two nights (Tues/Wed). They were already planning to spend Thursday night on the Peninsula south of SF and fly back to Florida from San Jose on Friday, which they will still do as scheduled.

The Mark Hopkins is a nice hotel. I see Princess is stepping up to the plate again! Good for them. Enjoy your time in SF.

Wow....I didn't even think about that. We just don't like to fly so take a lot of SF roundtrip cruises for that very reason. We can fly but have to bite the bullet at times. We end up paying the premium prices for either 3 seats in economy or 2 in first class to make it more palatable.

But, I do have a friend who cannot fly ... it really messes up her balance and she is very sick afterwards, so now just avoids it all together per her doctor's advice. Wow....what to do for these passengers??

And just a thought ... what about those that are on the no fly list?? YIKES! :eek:

We can fly but have to bite the bullet at times. We end up paying the premium prices for either 3 seats in economy ...

What kind of photo ID do you present at the check-in counter for the empty seat in order to pick up the boarding pass with the seat assignment?

Hi folks - live from the Grand Princess, we are getting cell service, and it seems to be Molokai I'm looking at from the port side of the ship.

Long story short: they are indeed flying us all to San Francisco. Those of us who are not flying out until Wednesday will be staying on the ship in Honolulu. The flight arrangements I know of, including mine and my DW's, are on commercial airlines. We're taking United from Honolulu to LAX on Wednesday morning and connecting there to SFO. We were told at the passenger services desk we would be allowed to disembark and reboard in Honolulu, apparently just as if it were an ordinary port stop.

This has been an eventful but in total actually a quite good cruise, at least for me and my wife, assuming all goes well between now and our return home. We got all of our Hawaii ports -- which we know is not guaranteed -- and bonus time in Honolulu, and lost very little. Princess is transporting us to the airport and paying for our flights home and have also compensated us by refunding half the cost of this cruise AND giving us future credit equal to that amount as well (effectively making this cruise "free"). This seems like fair compensation for what will be a moderate inconvenience at best (since one of the reasons we took this particular trip was to avoid flying to begin with).

More later - back to vacation.

Sounds like our friends onboard have the same plans as you.

They have also said it's been a really nice cruise.

Cruising...with Princess is their preferred travel...certainly not flying.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

In reading the other lengthy thread on Princess's environmental fine, there was mention from someone on the Grand about not being able to tender in Lahaini (Maui):

contradicted by

This has been an eventful but in total actually a quite good cruise, at least for me and my wife, assuming all goes well between now and our return home. We got all of our Hawaii ports -- which we know is not guaranteed -- and bonus time in Honolulu

If someone is on a no fly list then I think they should probably be on a no cruise list as well.

My thought exactly! We are to board the Grand in SF on the 30th. I expect it to be shipshape by then. Will report if there are any problems, but we're counting on an uneventful and enjoyable cruise.

The Mark Hopkins is a nice hotel. I see Princess is stepping up to the plate again! Good for them. Enjoy your time in SF.

This maybe an update,but many people are staying on the ship and will be transferred to the airport. Seems many fly out on 12/7 including myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk