Grand injured

PonyPair

I wonder if the ship will still have to stop in Ensenada to avoid being fined by pvsa. If they allow a passenger to stay on the ship and disembark in Portland, they would be violating pvsa. If there are no passengers,just crew, the fine would not apply.

The Vendors in Ensenada cant be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

6a32216b694163cdee459e308f5745dc.jpg. We're set to arrive in Honolulu by 1 pm. The island is in sight.

Looks like you will get a nice view of Waikiki as you pass by Diamond Head. Safe travels home to you and all other passengers.

49er

I wonder if the ship will still have to stop in Ensenada to avoid being fined by pvsa. If they allow a passenger to stay on the ship and disembark in Portland, they would be violating pvsa. If there are no passengers,just crew, the fine would not apply.

Good question. This could likely be a costly PVSA violation for Princess.

The Mark Hopkins is a nice hotel. I see Princess is stepping up to the plate again! Good for them. Enjoy your time in SF.

This maybe an update,but many people are staying on the ship and will be transferred to the airport. Seems many fly out on 12/7 including myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Vendors in Ensenada cant be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wouldn't PVSA have waivers for extenuating circumstances like this.

I wonder if the ship will still have to stop in Ensenada to avoid being fined by pvsa.
They won't stop in Ensenada with no passengers on board! Every passenger that disembarks in Honolulu and flies back to SF creates a PVSA violation, it doesn't matter where the ship goes after that. But I think Princess will be able to talk its way out of any fines in this case.

What I wonder is if they still need to stop in SF (if they were planning to pick up workers and/or material for the dry dock there) or if they can go directly to Portland.

What I wonder is if they still need to stop in SF (if they were planning to pick up workers and/or material for the dry dock there) or if they can go directly to Portland.

My bet is that once they patch/repair the tender door and after all passengers have disembarked, the captain will head straight for Portland at full ahead speed with the stabilizers stowed:). Since they will be late in getting into Portland and another cruise starting on Dec 20 time will be of the essence. I am pretty sure workers/material will be flown/trucked up to meet the ship when it comes in. I for one will be waiting for the Bridge Cam views of the Columbia river as she sails towards Portland:)

49er

Edited by 49er

Good question. This could likely be a costly PVSA violation for Princess.

After the costs of turning around and going back to Hawaii, flying most, if not all, of the passengers from Hawaii back to San Francisco, etc., the few people that would be still on the ship for whatever reason, would be a drop in the bucket comparatively. :rolleyes:

I suspect that they'll sail directly from Hawaii to Portland anyway considering when they were scheduled for docking.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

They could be forced to extend the dry dock and cancel the next cruise. It all depends on the amount damaged caused by the platform on the hull.

the USCG might want them to check and repair the other three tender platforms . Most ships have two platforms on each side.

We want to watch her come down the river....Princess used to dry dock here a lot, but it's only recently been that the cruise ships are coming back. We have the largest "floating" dry dock in the country. I've got to figure out the time table and hopefully we can "greet" her! Now, if they can get in here to dry dock, I wish Portland would become a port city. It would be a great stop.

After the costs of turning around and going back to Hawaii, flying most, if not all, of the passengers from Hawaii back to San Francisco, etc., the few people that would be still on the ship for whatever reason, would be a drop in the bucket comparatively. :rolleyes:

I suspect that they'll sail directly from Hawaii to Portland anyway considering when they were scheduled for docking.

Tom

Even those who disembark in Hawaii will be violating the PVSA. At double capacity, they're looking at a $780,000 fine if CBP hits them at the going rate of $300 p/p.

PVSA waivers are routinely granted for mechanical failures and weather problems.

The ship will head directly to Portland, and the materials will already be in Portland. The only thing they would have been accomplishing during the run from SF to Portland would be demo, so if they pick up their dumpsters in Hawaii (costly one way rental), they can get even more demo done.

The tender door is not what will cause delay in the shipyard. It sounds like the ship won't sail from Honolulu until the 7th, and even at best speed, that's 4.5 days to Portland, or late on the 11th/early 12th. Since she was scheduled to sail from SF late on the 8th, and that is only 1.4 days, arriving Portland the wee hours of the 10th. So, she will be about 1.5-2 days late starting. Depending on the damage to the hydraulic rams, it might not be possible to completely fix the tender platform, but they could get it back in place and locked down until the rams are available.

Getting the bottom painted, the propeller shaft seals, thrusters, and stabilizers maintained, as well as the required hull thickness testing required of a ship of this age, in the shortened time will be very tough. Realistically, the tender door repair is a small additional item, many are frequently found when the ship is actually visible below the waterline, so that won't affect things, but I'm afraid the statutory items will push the finish at least a day late, especially needing to get back down to SF by the 19th. Hate to say it, but I wouldn't bet on that.

They could be forced to extend the dry dock and cancel the next cruise. It all depends on the amount damaged caused by the platform on the hull.

the USCG might want them to check and repair the other three tender platforms . Most ships have two platforms on each side.

While the USCG will investigate the incident, because it was an "incident", they cannot require inspections of existing functional equipment, other than to show that it works. This is up to the flag state, Bermuda, who will delegate it to the class society, as to whether any inspection of the other platforms is required.

As noted above, I don't foresee any damage to the door or the hull structure in way of the hinges causing any delays, its just that she's getting to Portland late.

Edited by chengkp75

What kind of photo ID do you present at the check-in counter for the empty seat in order to pick up the boarding pass with the seat assignment?

When you print out your extra boarding pass, it shows X-seat for so and so on the ticket. Both of us are of normal weight but some airlines allow you to just buy an extra seat when booking online (Jet Blue) while others don't charge you any extra but they book the extra seat for you (Delta). Not a lot of people do this as it always surprises somebody when they ask about the empty seat and we make note that we purchased it. You can and sometimes have to buy the extra seat if you are overweight ... so why not buy it if it is about $150 or even less for sheer comfort. Nobody has to take that middle seat and it is great to have room to stretch out.

Even those who disembark in Hawaii will be violating the PVSA. At double capacity, they're looking at a $780,000 fine if CBP hits them at the going rate of $300 p/p.

Is it CPB which enforces the PVSA or Dept. of Commerce? It seems to me that it is not a security issue, but one of interstate commerce. Just wondering. Loren

We want to watch her come down the river....Princess used to dry dock here a lot, but it's only recently been that the cruise ships are coming back. We have the largest "floating" dry dock in the country. I've got to figure out the time table and hopefully we can "greet" her! Now, if they can get in here to dry dock, I wish Portland would become a port city. It would be a great stop.

Do you by chance have the web cam site for the Columbia River? Would love to watch it also.

Sharon

USCG the organization enpowered by the flag state to inspect any cruise ship in US waters. It can refuse give the ship a permit to sail if they think damage is to extensive.

Not quite. The USCG has "port state" control rights to ensure that the ship meets SOLAS requirements. While the ship is in drydock, the USCG has no jurisdiction to inspect a foreign flag ship, since that ship is no longer in operation. Once out of drydock, the USCG can inspect the damaged tender door to see if it meets SOLAS standards. However, it will already have been inspected by the flag state, Bermuda, who has the Bermudan Maritime Agency (BMA), but who typically certifies the class society to carry out their flag state inspections. The class society is the insurance underwriter for the ship, and the surveyor has really more to say about the condition of the ship than either the USCG or the BMA. Yes, USCG can get into a contest with class and BMA about something, but typically if class has issued a "condition free" certificate of class (no problems that need to be repaired), which it will do after a drydock, USCG can't say too much. USCG does have stricter standards than most flag states, but can only enforce those stricter standards on ships flying the US flag.