Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Sky Suite or Infinite Balcony doesn't matter - the balcony chairs so not appear to be adjustable. I think they are making the space look more like it belongs in the cabin and less like the balcony lounge chairs we are used to.

Wish they were adjustable because I always used them as a great place to almost lie flat and get some rays or catch a nap, especially when foot stools were included.

I believed that the non suite cabins are really not much larger, but the infinity balcony makes them looks larger and in closing is all about marketing because the cheapest suite is $6k. Most suites do not have infinity an balcony.

I could be seeing things, but whatever this item is (circled in yellow), it appears to be on the balcony and not behind the glass. The lines seem similar to what we've seen in the renderings and mockup, but obviously it is impossible to know what that item is with certainty. Thus far, cabin furnishings for infinite verandas have matched the mockup quite closely. If the Sky Suite mockup represents what they decided to use onboard, it does not appear that the balcony chairs have any adjustable recline. We will see!

montage.png

skysuitebalc.png

chair1.png

This doesn't look totally to scale to me since the smallest SS balcony is 79 sq ft (S2's), which would be ~8X10 or 6X13. They are almost twice the size of the IV balconies. That picture of the two chairs with table look like they just barely fit and there should be more space if the balcony is 10-13 ft long and 6-8 ft wide (maybe my perception is off :D). My guess is that it will be like S Class SS's, where they have chairs with/without footstools, but the butler will do his/her best to get you a lounger upon request.

The S3's have a 102 sq ft balcony and the aft S1's have a163 sq ft balcony (no of us has yet determined what size the port and starboard S1's balconies are (they have 163 sq ft under all S1's but the side S1's are similar to the S2's, in reality - likely they are in the 80-100 sq ft range). Though the chairs look very comfortable, the 163 sq ft balcony aft S1's have plenty of room for loungers so we will ask if they don't have them. :D

Sky Suite or Infinite Balcony doesn't matter - the balcony chairs so not appear to be adjustable. I think they are making the space look more like it belongs in the cabin and less like the balcony lounge chairs we are used to.

Wish they were adjustable because I always used them as a great place to almost lie flat and get some rays or catch a nap, especially when foot stools were included.

Agree that it seems like a design decision, instead of a functionality decision. Luckily it is something that they can easily replace if people are overwhelmingly unhappy. In the meantime, you can find blow up footstools in my little store just outside the port. ;)

I just found this video on YouTube that appears to be new. Its titled " Celebrity Edge Construction Update." It has a wonderful over view of some different spaces on the Edge with commentary from LLP and other X execs. I apologize if this has already been posted, but it is too cool not to share.

I saw this this week and like this one as well! I can't get enough Edge!! :D

I do like the look of the full length, full width windows, however. And I am happy with a sliding door, which is what they appear to be. Be nice if 2 of what appears to be 3 panels would stack.

Looking at these pictures of aft S1's (S1's are on the sides and SV's in between, for those unfamiliar) and side S1's and S2's, you can see some doors are open. It seems to always be the middle panel so I am guessing it slides to one side, with an extra fixed window.

enhance

enhance

The S3's have the slider and then a separate window that has a bit wider separation between it and the slider.

enhance

Looking at these pictures of aft S1's (S1's are on the sides and SV's in between, for those unfamiliar) and side S1's and S2's, you can see some doors are open. It seems to always be the middle panel so I am guessing it slides to one side, with an extra fixed window.

enhance

enhance

The S3's have the slider and then a separate window that has a bit wider separation between it and the slider.

enhance

So, a bit less sunshine in the S3s.

Sent from my P00C using Forums mobile app

This doesn't look totally to scale to me since the smallest SS balcony is 79 sq ft (S2's), which would be ~8X10 or 6X13. They are almost twice the size of the IV balconies. That picture of the two chairs with table look like they just barely fit and there should be more space if the balcony is 10-13 ft long and 6-8 ft wide (maybe my perception is off :D). My guess is that it will be like S Class SS's, where they have chairs with/without footstools, but the butler will do his/her best to get you a lounger upon request.

The S3's have a 102 sq ft balcony and the aft S1's have a163 sq ft balcony (no of us has yet determined what size the port and starboard S1's balconies are (they have 163 sq ft under all S1's but the side S1's are similar to the S2's, in reality - likely they are in the 80-100 sq ft range). Though the chairs look very comfortable, the 163 sq ft balcony aft S1's have plenty of room for loungers so we will ask if they don't have them. :D

Very observant. The balcony has to be deeper than the mockup, and hopefully will have at least one recliner.

@Mcampo:

Thanks for the link, it's nice to see how things are shaping up.

I found this segment to be quite interesting:

Picture2.png

the shade seems to be adequately thick; I am wondering though if one could stop it at any given height.

Then another interesting thought came to me.

Like any other motor-driven gadget, this thing could get broken, or jammed in the rails. There is no manual override, as far as I can see in multiple pictures/videos. That's why the good old drapes would have been a good idea... because statistically among several hundred of IV staterooms there will be a fairly good chance for some of those shades to get jammed or broken. (Yes I am a cynic, especially when I look at the cabinet photos and see those cheap China-made white plastic brackets holding China-made paper-thin particle boards :'):'):')).

And while a failure of the motor operating the shade may not be a big deal, a failure of the motor operating the sash (upper part of the IV glass) WILL BE for sure, so I hope that they have a manual override at least to close the gap... and that the Edge will have a few "full size spare tires" for situations like that - back-up cabins :D

Can't wait to get onboard!

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks for this post. I always like to see pics of the middle Sunset Veranda with large outside balc that we have booked for Nov 2019 .

I think it was a good choice for the price.

Your post also gives us a good reference if we decide to go with a suite on EDGE in the future.

Although we won't make any immed decisions, afterbour 2 EDGE cruises, we will most lilkely return to Equinox or Silhouette for 2020 and try for an affordable suite.

I can tell that the EDGE AQ Window Veranda cabin is going to feel a bit less spacious than we thought.. Although the cabin is 7 sq ft larger than AQ class cabin on S Class, there is a large bed and awkward desk / chair layout. The Veranda on EDGE is also 12 sq ft smaller on EDGE, and most likely will have to be kept open for a more spacious feel. We'll see!

I have concerns about the "ugly white box" for chargers. I don't know about you, but chargers I use make a fair amount of heat. There have been stories about people getting burned, or setting bedclothes on fire while charging a phone overnight. If I have to use this box I will do my best to keep it open and NOT have anything plugged in any longer than required. And simply unplugging your device won't stop the generation of heat, you must unplug the charging module from line power. I have no idea why the designers thought this was a good design idea.

@Mcampo:

Thanks for the link, it's nice to see how things are shaping up.

I found this segment to be quite interesting:

Picture2.png

the shade seems to be adequately thick; I am wondering though if one could stop it at any given height.

Then another interesting thought came to me.

Like any other motor-driven gadget, this thing could get broken, or jammed in the rails. There is no manual override, as far as I can see in multiple pictures/videos. That's why the good old drapes would have been a good idea... because statistically among several hundred of IV staterooms there will be a fairly good chance for some of those shades to get jammed or broken. (Yes I am a cynic, especially when I look at the cabinet photos and see those cheap China-made white plastic brackets holding China-made paper-thin particle boards :'):'):')).

And while a failure of the motor operating the shade may not be a big deal, a failure of the motor operating the sash (upper part of the IV glass) WILL BE for sure, so I hope that they have a manual override at least to close the gap... and that the Edge will have a few "full size spare tires" for situations like that - back-up cabins :D

Can't wait to get onboard!

If no manual override is true and you have a jam up- why not just call maintenance? Why fret over this now? How are you coming up with China-made? Derogatory?

Does anyone have knowledge of what material the box is made? For all we know it is totally fire-proof and not just fire-retardant.

Is there a photo of this, maybe one I overlooked that someone can point me to? I’m trying to visualize what this looks like and how many outlets are available.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If no manual override is true and you have a jam up- why not just call maintenance? Why fret over this now? How are you coming up with China-made? Derogatory?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I assume - and I hope - you have never had a really serious issue with your suite/stateroom on the ship.

I did.

I am referring not to a faulty plug or burned bulb. I mean something like a flood from the bathroom that instantly fills your carpet with sewage, or something like that. Trust me, maintenance comes and goes, but sewer smell stays...

When the sash in IV glass (God forbid) gets stuck half way down, that's when the maintenance won't fix as fast as a burned bulb. Believe me.

But this is not the reason I wrote the post that obviously irritated you.

I am very excited to see the new ship, and at the same time I am curious - as any engineer would be - to see if all things are done right with it.

That's why I write about things that could have been done better, from my point of view. If it makes you feel upset, just skip my posts, I won't be offended.

As to "derogatory" statements about things made in China, I take it you don't have IKEA furniture in your home :) Good for you.

For your amusement, here's something similar to the Edge closet corner supports shown in the pictures posted earlier by Lloyd:

Picture_3.jpg

Check Alibaba website, there are hundreds of furniture fittings of this kind there. If you believe that for the Edge they used something made in the USA or even EU (and the same goes regarding particle boards, and actually any plastic/composite material within the ship...) - I don't know what else to say, I apologize in advance. I also apologize profoundly if I sound disrespectful - this was the last thing I wanted.

Business is business, and what is available at a fraction of a cost in China vs US/EU - believe me, the pendulum will swing to the East, Actually, I am not derogatory, I am just realistic.

I - personally - will just be extra careful not to put much weight on those shelves/walls .... And as someone just posted, I will always keep my MB ("magic box", with outlets) open - just in case.

However, when things go bad, I will be the first one to give you a hand, as an engineer, as a scientist, as a good Samaritan.

Enjoy your cruise. I know I will, even if I fret now.

So, a bit less sunshine in the S3s.

A lot of the pictures of Edge from Saint Nazaire are under cloudy skies. Here is one on a sunny day with the MC on 14. I think when it is on 14, the S3's on decks 11 & 12 may be shaded, depending on the time of day, but when on decks 5 and 16, it shouldn't be much of a issue (shade-wise). :D

enhance

What I noticed about this picture is I can seen those balcony Chairs that were are the IV mockup and actual rooms, in many of the SS pictured. I really liked the chairs in the video mock up of the SS on youtube that are similar to the renderings. I hope X didn't decide to use the IV chairs in all cabins. Will it ruin my cruise, no way. I was just looking forward to the Big Blush white Chairs with light blue cushions and large table in my SS. It won't be long now until we know for sure.

enhance

I cannot get enough Edge either! My DH is refusing to look at any photos or hear any info on the ship, as he wants to be surprised. I myself, enjoy learning as we go! Cannot wait to see pictures from you initial reviews from 11/27. I know we will all be waiting for you to post!

I saw this this week and like this one as well! I can't get enough Edge!! :D

What I noticed about this picture is I can seen those balcony Chairs that were are the IV mockup and actual rooms, in many of the SS pictured. I really liked the chairs in the video mock up of the SS on youtube that are similar to the renderings. I hope X didn't decide to use the IV chairs in all cabins. Will it ruin my cruise, no way. I was just looking forward to the Big Blush white Chairs with light blue cushions and large table in my SS. It won't be long now until we know for sure.

enhance

I don't think they will have the IV chairs. My guess is that there are many of those chairs around and the work people probably have some to sit on when taking a break. The other deeply-cushioned chairs shown in the rendition are likely just not not out there yet. The plastic-wrapped piece of furniture on one of the suite balconies looks like the Kelly Hoppen rocker, which is pictured inside, but just have been dragged out. Now that looks comfortable and the back is partially reclined - give me a footstool, a good book, a cold drink and I will be in heaven. :D

I cannot get enough Edge either! My DH is refusing to look at any photos or hear any info on the ship, as he wants to be surprised. I myself, enjoy learning as we go! Cannot wait to see pictures from you initial reviews from 11/27. I know we will all be waiting for you to post!

Many of us here are right there with you, with less interested travel partners. My DH will be like a kid in a candy store when we board and will suddenly want to know everything. Until then, we have each other here on CC! :D

Many of us here are right there with you, with less interested travel partners. My DH will be like a kid in a candy store when we board and will suddenly want to know everything. Until then, we have each other here on CC! :D

I am in the same position. I have a trick I use when I have trouble falling asleep... I like to imagine I am heading out on a cruise and picture a ship I have sailed... and entering the reception area and later the cabin. I really find this nocturnal cruise helpful to falling asleep. I have become a bit more obsessive since my husband developed knee problems... because I want to find the most convenient cabin to key activities... so I study layout more now than I have in the past. Frankly most of our cruises were last minute... so I only was concerned with finding a cabin away from...say the anchor... or under the windjammer/ocean view or area with likely loud music... This time it became more of a game.... to see if we could guess what was what as the reveals were slow to be published... part of the fun of learning

I don't think they will have the IV chairs. My guess is that there are many of those chairs around and the work people probably have some to sit on when taking a break. The other deeply-cushioned chairs shown in the rendition are likely just not not out there yet. The plastic-wrapped piece of furniture on one of the suite balconies looks like the Kelly Hoppen rocker, which is pictured inside, but just have been dragged out. Now that looks comfortable and the back is partially reclined - give me a footstool, a good book, a cold drink and I will be in heaven. :D

I hope you are right about that. Seems odd to have them in there if they don't intent to use them there don't you think. At least three of those Suites have those same chairs like in the IV Cabins. The Suite that has the Kelly Hoppen rocker actually shows two of those same chairs stacked together.

Edit - Still hoping that there will be something like a lounger or recliner on the balcony. Otherwise the Butler for the Suites is gong to be busy trying to fill request for loungers from Suite guest.

I hope you are right about that. Seems odd to have them in there if they don't intent to use them there don't you think. At least three of those Suites have those same chairs like in the IV Cabins. The Suite that has the Kelly Hoppen rocker actually shows two of those same chairs stacked together.

You could be right. I am just guessing that they are not the main seating for the SS balconies, because I think there would be major push back from people, many of whom paid $12 grand for those suites. Of course, maybe that is why the media wasn't allowed to view a suite. :D

Also, thinking back at SS on S Class, they generally have the same reclining chair and footstools as non-suite cabins (not upgraded until CS, when there is nicer furniture).

If those are the deck chairs, the Retreat sundeck will be hopping! :D

You could be right. I am just guessing that they are not the main seating for the SS balconies, because I think there would be major push back from people, many of whom paid $12 grand for those suites. Of course, maybe that is why the media wasn't allowed to view a suite. :D

Also, thinking back at SS on S Class, they generally have the same reclining chair and footstools as non-suite cabins (not upgraded until CS, when there is nicer furniture).

If those are the deck chairs, the Retreat sundeck will be hopping! :D

So true about that. To pay that much and not even get a recliner or lounger would not be cool for some. They hyped and put a lot of emphasis on how good and nice the suites will be. So let's hope they come through with what they showed on renderings/videos or better for the final product.

Also, if the final product does not look or up to par with what they represented and with what avid Celebrity cruisers are use to having, some who have booked Sky Suites and not made final payment may contemplate changing cabin categories.